Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-15-07, 11:46 AM   #1
Redeemed

Default First time Linux user... drivers?

Okay, I'm running Kubuntu (latest version I believe) and I'm just interested in the drivers for my rig.

I think the only piece of hardware it has accurately detected is my sound card (integrated on the ASUS A8N32 SLi Dlx).

I'm just curious as to where I should go to get drivers for the rest of my hardware. My specs are as follows:

AMD Opty185
ASUS A8N32 SLi DLx (latest BIOS)
dual eVGA 8800GTS
Belkin Wireless-G network adapter

I'd like to be able to utilize SLi as well. I've tried searching for drivers but have not been successful. Any input as to where I need to go to acquire the drivers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 11:56 AM   #2
grey_1

Default Re: First time Linux user... drivers?

Hey bro, here's your drivers. You didn't say 32 or 64 bit, but you.ll find them there.

If you run into trouble post back or pm me, my 8800 is running sweetly on edgy atm. There's a couple of tricks that simplified the whole process for me.
Old 03-15-07, 12:07 PM   #3
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
Hey bro, here's your drivers. You didn't say 32 or 64 bit, but you.ll find them there.

If you run into trouble post back or pm me, my 8800 is running sweetly on edgy atm. There's a couple of tricks that simplified the whole process for me.
Thanks grey.

Sorry, it is 32-bit, I think. How do I check? A co-worker gave me a couple of live CDs (Ubuntu and Kubuntu). I just assumed they were 32-bit.

Anyhow, I'll try those and see how they work. So far, my "Linux Experience" is reminding me of the DOS 6.22+Windows 3.1 days, just with a lot more options and a far prettier GUI.

I'll let you know how those drivers work for me. Thanks again bud.
Old 03-15-07, 12:10 PM   #4
Redeemed

Those are only the drivers for my 8800GTS though. What about my wireless network adapter and my mobo? Do I even really need to install any mobo drivers?

I do know that I'll need drivers for my wireless network adapter though... any idea where I could find those? Thanks in advance. And I apologise for all these questions- I'm a complete noob when it comes to Linux. This is literally my first time using Linux. I think I could get to liking it if I could only get all of my hardware to work properly. I doubt it'll ever replace Windows for me (I'm mostly a gamer), but I do think I could use it for most any other task without much complaint.

Thanks again for all your help!
Old 03-15-07, 12:21 PM   #5
grey_1

You shouldn't need drivers for your mobo, the open source detection and drivers built in is very strong, sorry...should have said that.

As far as your wireless goes, try here. I don't have wireless so I can't really help you out with it, sorry.

Getting your 8800s up and running shouldn't be too bad, if you don't already. The default "nv" driver doesn't recognize them yet, but if your not bothered by a little command line I can get you through it pretty easily.
Old 03-15-07, 12:24 PM   #6
Redeemed

Quote:
You shouldn't need drivers for your mobo, the open source detection and drivers built in is very strong, sorry...should have said that.

As far as your wireless goes, try here. I don't have wireless so I can't really help you out with it, sorry.
Okay, cool. Thanks. I'll give those forums a shot.
Old 03-15-07, 12:27 PM   #7
Redeemed

Quote:

Getting your 8800s up and running shouldn't be too bad, if you don't already. The default "nv" driver doesn't recognize them yet, but if your not bothered by a little command line I can get you through it pretty easily.
Oh, it has to be entered via command line?

I'll give it a shot, but I was hoping those days were behind me... I think I can figure it out. I'm only accustomed to DOS so the way the command line works in Linux seems kinda... wierd. I just might need some help. I let you know though.

Thanks again man, sure will be nice to have this install up and running properly.
Old 03-15-07, 03:27 PM   #8
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

remove the old drivers first otherwise the 9755 drivers won't load and x will fail to start.

Old 03-15-07, 04:42 PM   #9
grey_1

Here's exactlly what I did, saved me some grief.

Clean install from alternate install cd.
X broke, as "nv" doesn't recognize the 8800 so

Log in at prompt, then "sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf" scroll to "device" section.
Change "nv" to "vesa" , save & exit then "startx"

Download drivers from the link I gave you and save them to home folder.

Open a terminal and go back into xorg.conf the same way, change "vesa" back to "nv"

This bypasses that black screen with no prompt you get by killing X the right way. Log out or reboot back to the broke again X. Log in.

Do "sudo apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade" This will take a while.

When done do "sudo apt-get install libc6-dev" This will give your header files.

Then "sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9755-pkg1.run"

Accept all prompts, and either reboot, startx, or sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start.

eh, your using Kubuntu, last line will be /kdm start

This has worked 3 times for me so far without a hitch. Good luck man.
Old 03-15-07, 10:29 PM   #10
Redeemed

Thanks for the help guys. I'll give that a shot and see how well it works.
Old 03-18-07, 12:02 AM   #11
Redeemed

Just a question- is there any way to install drivers from the shell? Or does it have to be done via the command prompt?

I was hoping this would be much like Windows where I just click on the executable setup program and the drivers are installed that way. Any method of doing this in Kubuntu- or do drivers have to be installed via the command prompt?
Old 03-18-07, 12:25 AM   #12
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

there is a program called Envy or something like that that will install graphics drivers for you automatically. If you look in the repositories you can find most things there are have it install it for you.