Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-06-06, 04:27 AM   #1
kernow

Default new legacy drivers, my xorg is dead, black screen, no ssh , yeah that old chestnut

Well, I've gone from a solid running system for years, to a system where X completely stuffs my machine to the point where I can't even SSH in.

these new nvidia legacy drivers have slaughtered my slackware. I just want it fixed, I doubt I'll install the drivers again if this is the case.

I know I havent filed a bug report yet, but I'm at work, and when I get home I'll be sending one in.

A little background ,

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/sla...d=1#post343928

That'll give you something to peruse while I get the bug report. I've tried nearly everything from the first 100 pages or so of this forum.

nothing worked at all, my system is doomed.
kernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-06, 01:13 PM   #2
kernow

Default Re: new legacy drivers, my xorg is dead, black screen, no ssh , yeah that old chestnu

my bug report, nvidia installer.log, xorg conf, etc

attached..

I had a quick look through the bug report and noticed my bios version is ?????????

I updated it years ago (its a gf2 gts) , and it was rock solid for years, so I doubt that has any effect on the problem. but I bet someone is going to tell me to update my vid card or motherboard bios, my mobo bios is on the latest and most stable version.

thanks for any help
Attached Files
File Type: log dmesg.log (9.3 KB, 148 views)
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (55.5 KB, 157 views)
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (21.6 KB, 145 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (6.1 KB, 163 views)
Old 07-06-06, 01:21 PM   #3
kernow

Default Re: new legacy drivers, my xorg is dead, black screen, no ssh , yeah that old chestnu

also from the log it seems I uninstalled the drivers, it makes no difference anyway, my x doesnt load with them on or off.
Old 07-07-06, 10:26 AM   #4
kernow

Do I need to present anything else?

or just wait?

Old 07-09-06, 04:17 AM   #5
kernow

Anyone ?

Its not fun having your xorg out of action on your main PC for a week or more

Old 07-10-06, 01:32 PM   #6
kernow

3 days and no reply, has anyone even looked at my log output?

I'm pretty sure I've provided all the information required.
Old 07-11-06, 03:36 AM   #7
kernow

netllama, are you ignoring this post on purpose?

I see you answering others with 'please post a bug report', and their posts arent as old as mine is.

well I have posted a bug report, days ago.
Old 07-11-06, 05:53 AM   #8
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@kernow: judging from the description you linked to in your original post, you updated more than just the NVIDIA Linux legacy graphics driver; it also looks like you've made a number of other changes since, and I'm not sure what the current software state is on your system. Assuming I understood you correctly and you've uninstalled 1.0-7182, installed a Matrox card and then generated the nvidia-bug-report.log file, it's difficult to determine what went wrong, exactly.

The X log included in the nvidia-bug-report.log file suggests that X crashes trying to initialize the server-side GLX extension module (which would explain the black screen), but since you uninstalled the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver, it's unclear if this module is NVIDIA's and if this problem is the same you experienced originally.

Please reinstall 1.0-7182, install the NVIDIA graphics card, attempt to start X and regenerate the nvidia-bug-report.log file; you may also want to experiment with the installer's --force-tls commandline option, as there've been reports of problems with the new-style TLS libraries and the Slackware dynamic loader before.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-06, 05:56 AM   #9
kernow

Zander, the matrox card has always been in my system, I use it for dual head.

I have only built and run 2.6.17.3, and the latest nvidia legacy drivers, apart from that, the only changes I have made are the diagnostic changes trying to remedy the problem.

I cannot get into X with any driver, the nvidia card or matrox card do not let me get into X.
Old 07-11-06, 06:00 AM   #10
kernow

I've tried reinstalling the drivers, I'll put them on again though.

I dont understand if I have disabled GLX why that would be causing the VGA/VESA/nv/nvidia driver to crash too, it crashes with any driver I use. I just can't get into X anymore since installing these nvidia drivers.

I've tried both classic and new TLS options.

I'll reinstall the drivers and make another bug report I guess.
Old 07-12-06, 03:10 AM   #11
kernow

Ok, here we go.

a) installed 7182 with --force-tls=classic, installed and built perfectly.
b) set NvAGP "0" in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
c) tried to start X, it crashed the same as usual
d) it stops on the GLX module in the xorg.0.log, but I have glx disabled in my xorg.conf
e) rebooted, created a bug report, attached it below.

so.. the new bug report is below.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (54.7 KB, 145 views)
Old 07-12-06, 06:23 AM   #12
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: new legacy drivers, my xorg is dead, black screen, no ssh , yeah that old chestnut

@kernow: I see two things in the log that are somewhat bizarre: 1) Xorg's PCI scan doesn't report the NVIDIA GPU, but the kernel does and 2) the GLX module is being loaded even though it's commented out. Neither problem can be caused by the NVIDIA X driver module, though the X crash could be. As an experiment, can you load the older kernel, comment out screen 1 in the ServerLayout section and check if X comes up with either the classic or the new-style TLS libraries?
zander is offline   Reply With Quote