Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-14-02, 07:36 PM   #1
nazkira

Default a7v133 + Geforce 2/4 Flashing Triangles/Textures

Hi, just joined today. I'd like to explain what I've been through with Geforce Cards and the Via chipset in the hopes that someone has a suggestion that I haven't tried yet.

Hardware:

Mobo: Asus A7v133
Video: Daytona Geforce 4 ti 4200
Power: Antec 400w

I believe I first started having problems with flashing textures/triangles when I upgraded to Dx8 when it was new. Back then I had a Geforce 2 MX and a 250W Antec power supply.

No matter what I tried, there was only one fix -- Detonator 5.11. This kept me from being able to play certain games, but at least I could play my favorite game (everquest) without garbage triangles flashing all over the screen.

Well, last week I got a Geforce 4 ti 4200. And once again came the flashing textures and triangles.

I have tried:

Various Detonator Drivers (can't use 5.11 anymore) -
All Bios settings (aperture size, delay/cache stuff, AGP driving values, AGP 1x 2x 4x, Disabling AGP, fast writes, etc -- everything)
Tweaks with GTU, NvMax, WPCredit, etc. etc. etc.
Disabling sidebanding
Enabling VIA sidebanding
3.3+ voltage increasing/decreasing
V-synch

... and basically everything I've seen, anywhere I could find info.

I can put the geforce cards into my pii/500 - Asus p2b board without the problem
I can put my old TNT2 AGP card in my a7v133 without problems
And again, the Geforce 2 MX works in my A7v133 only if I use Detonator 5x drivers

I have a hard time believing it's my motherboard, since it can run several AGP cards without the problem.

I've upgraded my power supply to an Antec 400w which didn't solve the problems

Opengl always runs perfectly

Gah! What am I missing?
Old 08-14-02, 08:13 PM   #2
The Baron

have you actually reformatted?
Old 08-14-02, 08:51 PM   #3
nazkira

Yes, I have reformatted multiple times, as well as trying both Windows 2000 and ME. =/
Old 08-14-02, 08:56 PM   #4
The Baron

Have you replaced the mobo...? Like called Asus, said "yo, it's broken", and gotten a replacement?
Old 08-14-02, 09:27 PM   #5
Cotita
Nvidia God

I had an Asus A7V133 (replaced it for a biostar kt333 last week) and it worked like a charm with a geforce 2mx400, a geforce2 gts and geforce3 ti200 the only time I had problems with flashing polygons/textures was when overclocking with the geforce 2gts so I guess maybe you mobo is the problem
Old 08-15-02, 01:57 PM   #6
Gehenna_CA

What's the rest of your system specs? Are you overclocking anything? A little more infor on your complete setup might help a little.
Visiontek Geforce4 Ti4400@305/650
Pioneer Slotload 16x DVD-Rom Optowrite 40x12x40 CDRW
20gig 7200rpm ATA100 HD, Philips A.E.
19" Daytek Perfect Flat, Inspire 5300s
WinXP PRO/w SP1
Gehenna_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-02, 03:27 PM   #7
nazkira

System Specs

Motherboard: Asus a7v133
Memory: 384 PC-133
CPU: Athlon 800
Video: Palit Daytona Geforce4 ti 4200
Power: Antec 400w

No overclocking

I'll leave out other PCI cards as I've tried running without them several times.

Could be mobo, but it's strange, I loaded the detonator drivers that came with the video card (28.32) and got bad texture/triangle flashing in 3dmark 2001. I then loaded the detonator 30.82, and many of the tests run with little to no flicker.

For instance, the low detail car chase benchmark runs with no flashing textures, but the high detail car chase flickers badly. The dragon benchmark runs relatively free of flashing in both low and high tests, while the pixel shader tests - ESPECIALLY the advanced one - have terrible flickering triangles.

Warcraft 3 has bad flashing textures/triangles in D3D, but runs flawlessly in Opengl.

So, mobo problem it may be, but it's strange that performance would be better with the newest detonator drivers, and always flawless in Opengl. =/
Old 08-15-02, 04:02 PM   #8
The Baron

Have you tried installing the Via drivers under normal mode...? just a thought.

Old 08-15-02, 07:12 PM   #9
Gehenna_CA

You might have said this in a previous post but did you try new bioses for both the card and the mobo? The card might not have a new bios but sometimes companies do release them.

I know asus released a new bios a while ago for my mobo that added special geforce 4 support. They didn't list what that is exactly but it was listed in the readme. Have you tried checking for emi? Try changing the spread spectrum control to on in the mobo bios. Just a hunch but you never know. It wouldn't explain why you only get flashing in direct3d, however. Strange problem.
Visiontek Geforce4 Ti4400@305/650
Pioneer Slotload 16x DVD-Rom Optowrite 40x12x40 CDRW
20gig 7200rpm ATA100 HD, Philips A.E.
19" Daytek Perfect Flat, Inspire 5300s
WinXP PRO/w SP1
Gehenna_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-02, 07:21 PM   #10
lord kelvinn

Look my friend.
I have the same problems with some directx games: this is the list:

Dungeon Siege
Nascar 2002
Fifa 2002

Other directx games run without a problem:
Morrowind
Starwars starfigther
gp4
all the 3d mark, all resollutions, all settings max
war craft
max payne

All the opengl games run too damn good!!

I have tried a lot of things, except updating my bios,. maybe this weekend , or if i cant play the unreal 2003 demo.

so i think the problem is not the video card, neither the mobo, but a bug in the game . Im not sure, anyway, and if somebody fix this weird problem , i hope that drop us a line!!!

This is not a problem for me since im not playing now a directx game, but neverwinter nights.
Old 08-16-02, 05:29 AM   #11
FragMeister

Question

I had this same problem on my old machine (ASUS P3V4X - VIA chipset). I also tried everything I could think of without being able to solve the problem. I thought it was the graphics card at first, but now it's in my new machine (ASUS A7V333 - VIA chipset) the problem has gone away.

I use the same OS as before (Win2K), the same DX8.1, same Detonators (30.30), same 4in1 VIA drivers (4.40) etc etc as my old machine, just don't get the same problem.

From this, I guess I'm saying it could be the motherboard, or the VIA chipset on it (my new mobo is a different VIA chipset).

I guess it could also be because my new machine was build from separates and I have installed all software onto a clean machine.

Hope you get this sorted, because it is VERY annoying. I'm lucky in that it doesn't do it any more now I have a new machine.
Old 08-18-02, 05:43 PM   #12
lord kelvinn

All the problems are gone!!!
just installed the 30.82 drivers the wednesday, but today i ran fifa 2002 and for my surprise the game runs just good, then i tryed with nascar in directx mode and it worwed like magic!! Same with dungeon siege.
I knew that it was a software problem, and now is fixed with the drivers!!!
Thanks to nvidia for doing their job!!