Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-08-06, 04:29 PM   #1
davidbidet

Question Fluidity problems playing games

Hello all,

I'm a maniac of race game and I recently upgrade my computer to fit with newest games.

But an issue is still remaining : I have some problems of fluidity during the game, I mean that there are some "jerks" in the animation.

I observe it playing at Colin McRae 2005 (1024x768, only with x4 antialising) but also with 3D wallpapers !!! Nevertheless, the framerate is quite good (75-100fps and stable)...

My config is :

Athlon 64 3200+ overclocked at 2.4GHz
2Go of DDR400 overclocked at 220MHz instead of 200
Geforce 7600GT without overclocking
and an asus motherboard with an internal GPU (geforce 6100) not used.
Latest Forceware and AMD64 driver

I have already tried :

to remove overclocking of the CPU and RAM
to overclock the Geforce (600MHz GPU + 720MHz memory)

My current score at 3DMark05 is ~6000. I think that normally i can play such games without meeting problems.

Is someone can help me ? It really hazardous to deal with jerks when you drive at 120 km/h !!!
davidbidet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-06, 06:15 PM   #2
kgroombr
Using Linux Since 1995

Default Re: Fluidity problems playing games

My guess there is a background task running that is causing this. Check out your cron to see if it is starting something at certain times.

Do a process listing and look at all your tasks. I am a firm believer that if you do a "ps aux" right after booting and the are processes listed that you have no clue what they are, you need to research them until you know.

I have found that I have increased my framerates and game playability on my Gentoo system by creating a game runlevel that only starts the bare minimum to play games. It sure beats playing a game to only have a cron job start and screw up the game play.

Here is another trick to add to the "game" runlevel: Don't start X. Use the command "xinit /full/path/to/game". This will start an X application such as a game without running all the extra stuff that KDE or Gnome may start. This can also be good for possible extra fps.

Ken
kgroombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-06, 06:18 PM   #3
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Unless I've misunderstood, I think davidbidet is running Windows, not Linux.

-Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-06, 08:56 PM   #4
kgroombr
Using Linux Since 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Unless I've misunderstood, I think davidbidet is running Windows, not Linux.
You are probably right. I don't keep up with a lot of games, especially those that play under Cedega. The only games I play are Linux only, 'cause the few games that I like that are currently Windows only, don't even play on Cedega.

Hopefully the advice I gave will help someone out there since it won't do much for a Windows user.

For a plug, here is a game that has been ported to Linux by the infamous Ryan Gordon (Icculus)..... Lugaru. This is an awesome game! The graphics aren't as good as other commercial games, but the game play is great! We are constantly learning and sharing new moves. The only detractor is network gaming, but you can't go wrong in buying this game. At least try the demo. My son and I play for hours which is unusual for me as I usually can't play for more than an hour or so.

Here is the link:

http://wolfire.com/lugaru.html

Ken
kgroombr is offline   Reply With Quote