Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-12-06, 10:02 PM   #13
fkrogh

Default Re: Post here if you think nVidia should hurry the **** up with their XOrg 7.1 driver

So netllama (from NVIDIA on 7/12/06) says no time frame and pipe13 (on 7/11/06) says that moderators said a month ago that they would be out in August. Are we losing ground? Come on guys, put something in "sticky" that gives your current estimate with lots of disclaimers to the effect that it may slip from that estimate by a year or whatever you would be comfortable with saying. I'm sure there are lots of us that would just like to have an idea so that we can plan around the problem.
fkrogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-06, 10:22 PM   #14
StringCheesian

Default Re: Post here if you think nVidia should hurry the **** up with their XOrg 7.1 driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkrogh
So netllama (from NVIDIA on 7/12/06) says no time frame and pipe13 (on 7/11/06) says that moderators said a month ago that they would be out in August. Are we losing ground?
Not losing ground. "No ETA" seems to have always been the official response. A moderator saying August would have been unofficial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkrogh
I'm sure there are lots of us that would just like to have an idea so that we can plan around the problem.
Yep. Me too.
StringCheesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 12:52 AM   #15
borisdigital

Default Re: Post here if you think nVidia should hurry the **** up with their XOrg 7.1 drivers

Ah man, please hurry.
borisdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 12:56 AM   #16
isez2001

Default Re: Post here if you think nVidia should hurry the **** up with their XOrg 7.1 drivers

I imagine this will spark a whole 'nother bout of petty back-and-forth, but I have to ask it:

What makes you guys so sure there IS an ETA?

I realize that to work without a goal is pretty sloppy, but it's possible that the goal is simply "when it's ready enough," without specifying exactly when that will be. It's unsatisfying, yes, but I'm not sure it's safe even to assume that Lonnie has any arrival time estimation.

On a purely speculatory note, www.phoronix.com has observed trends in the nVidia release cycles that call for a "major" release ~every six months, followed by a "minor" bugfix release about a month later.

For reference, 8762 was released 22 May 2006. I'll let you do the math.
isez2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 05:52 AM   #17
zbiggy

One scary idea comes to my mind when I read this topic. What if Nvidia waits with driver release till most distros will migrate to xorg 7.1 and most distros wait for Nvidia and ATI to release driver for xorg 7.1 so they could safely migrate to xorg 7.1?
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 06:01 AM   #18
zbiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by isez2001
What makes you guys so sure there IS an ETA?
We are not sure.
official: date unknown
unofficial: August 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by isez2001
On a purely speculatory note, www.phoronix.com has observed trends in the nVidia release cycles that call for a "major" release ~every six months, followed by a "minor" bugfix release about a month later.

For reference, 8762 was released 22 May 2006. I'll let you do the math.
I think this observation is true. Driver with xorg 7.1 support will be launched faster because some distro makers will push on Nvidia. Some distro makers can be in hurry to show nice and fast desktop before Vista arrives.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-06, 11:14 AM   #19
spinctrl

Xorg 7.1 has been out for some time now, and certainly long enough to for Nvidia to update their driver... the ABI changes can't be that much of a hurdle.

I've been running xorg 7.1 for over two months, and the font problem for one is really annoying. Solve the invisible fonts and GLX stops working -- now google earth won't run.

A long term nvidia buyer (5 of their cards) and exclusive linux user, it'd be nice not to have to consider alternatives to nvidia every time I recommend linux h/w to other users.... where's the choice; we need an open h/w 3D accelerator, so the community can maintain the driver.

Can't nvidia open source the parts of the driver that'll need to be kept in sync with xorg development? Or change their release cycle so unsupported drivers are available between stable releases -- to avoid the deluge of calls for help.

Whatever happens, get something out now!
spinctrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-06, 04:19 PM   #20
Robster

Ah well, the actual topic for this thread is dead, so why not head off-topic

I also have bought only nVidia for a long time... from a TNT2-M64 (ah, the nostalgia!), to a GeForce4-Ti4200, 5900XT, 7800GT and fanless 7300GS. The TNT2 is retired, the last 4 cards are all running Linux. I have also moved to nVidia platforms, with nForce4 on my workstation and 6100/410 on my HTPC.

It has to be said though, that my 5 cards and your 5 cards hardly make a compelling business case for nVidia to support . With the recent release of xorg 7.1 and the upcoming (well... mid-2007 perhaps) release of Windows Vista, which one do you think is going to get the resources allocated to it?

I do think that nVidia should hurry the **** up with their drivers, and I can sympathise with you because having installed 7.1, it's not easy to revert back to 7.0 and so you're left with a partially broken system until nVidia makes a new release, but believe me: talking about it in this forum won't make any difference
Robster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-06, 02:28 AM   #21
Henning Rogge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster
I do think that nVidia should hurry the **** up with their drivers, and I can sympathise with you because having installed 7.1, it's not easy to revert back to 7.0 ...
I don't think so... it just depends on the abilities of your package management. On my Gentoo system it was just masking the new versions of 5-6 packages, the rest were working automatically.
Henning Rogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-06, 04:06 AM   #22
Robster

Henning Rogge: really? Which packages?

I'm running Gentoo, but I seem to have got myself in a bit of a muddle with portage and I'm having to be very careful about what I update. I only have xorg-x11 7.1 masked, but I haven't updated any of the xorg-drivers packages either. If you have a list of packages which will stop portage complaining at me, it would make things much easier!
Robster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-06, 10:54 AM   #23
LubosD

Send a message via ICQ to LubosD

@Robster - I have done masking this way:

Code:
>=x11-base/xorg-x11-7.1
>=x11-base/xorg-server-1.1.0
>=x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev-1.1.2-r1
>=x11-drivers/xf86-video-nv-1.1.2
>=x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse-1.1.1
>=x11-drivers/xf86-input-keyboard-1.1.0
LubosD is offline   Reply With Quote