Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-12-06, 05:35 AM   #1
KiwiGeF2
Need to fix GeForce 2...

Default Suggestions to fix ghosting, etc. on GeForce 2 GST/Pro?

I'm looking for suggestions to diagnose/fix ghosting on a GeFore 2 GTS/Pro under Fedora 3 on a dual PIII/800 machine. By ghosting I mean a white edge on vertical edges which smears across the screen, esp. noticeable when smearing over light-coloured backgrounds. Its just started doing this full-time for no particular reason I can make out.

I have done quite a few things to try locate the fault myself; these suggest to me that the fault most likely lies with the card, including:

- Using another screen and cable doesn't make it go away (many people suggest the "usual" cause for ghosting is cable/signal issues; in this case it can't be it...?).

- Swopping the two (main RAM) memory cards around.

- Interference from other devices (switched off everything else, also tried taking the machine off the UPS).

- Cleaned out the machine for the hell of it (lots of dust; in particular I cleaned the fans and cooling fins).

- Tried with both the SMP and single CPU Linux kernels at boot time.

I haven't (yet) tried installing newer drivers, but it has worked for years under the current ones, so unless the new ones provide extra diagnostics, I can't see the value.

Also haven't tried replacing the batteries on the motherboard; no chance this could be a factor?

Haven't fooled around in BIOS either.

Please don't suggest replacing the machine, I need it. I could try sourcing a replacement card, but I can't imagine it'll be that easy as it's been long out of production and I don't really want to take days/weeks over this.
KiwiGeF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 07:26 AM   #2
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Default Re: Suggestions to fix ghosting, etc. on GeForce 2 GST/Pro?

Have you changed the IQ settings in your card's CP? Or have you changed any game settings in the game itself? Weird that it started doing it out of the blue without changing drivers or anything. I'm at a loss right now.
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 01:39 PM   #3
Blakhart

Have you tried a different vid card to rule out a bad card?
Blakhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-06, 01:49 PM   #4
|MaguS|

I had this kind of issue with my Viewsonic monitor... its diffinetly a monitor issue and no a videocard problem. I tried different PCs aswell, so if this issue is what im thinking the only way to resolve it is to get a different monitor.
Old 07-18-06, 01:21 PM   #5
swaaye

Don't rule out the card. It's from NV's bad days, when they let the card makers build some horrible 2D output into the boards.
swaaye is offline   Reply With Quote