Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-24-06, 09:44 PM   #1
NrthnStar5

Default Hyperthreading & Games

Does Hyperthreading have an advantage when playing pc games?
NrthnStar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-06, 09:53 PM   #2
Rytr
SuperMod

Default Re: Hyperthreading & Games

HT kicks in only when there are multiple threads running in parallel and competing for the processor's resources can added performance be noticed.
This does happen in games but I have never tested the effects on results although there should be a benefit for overall performance.
Rytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-06, 10:35 PM   #3
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rytr
HT kicks in only when there are multiple threads running in parallel and competing for the processor's resources can added performance be noticed.
This does happen in games but I have never tested the effects on results although there should be a benefit for overall performance.

Even if games are multi-threaded there will never be an advantage. Theoredically, hyperthreading turns a single core into two cores with 50% of the power of the origional. So even if the multithreaded engine operates at 100% efficency, hyperthreading will never make a game run faster than the origional core.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-06, 10:45 PM   #4
NrthnStar5

So, could you in theory actually get better performance in games with a 3.0 P4 w/out HT than one with HT?
NrthnStar5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-06, 01:20 AM   #5
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

Yes - you could, but what Zelda says is actually a little misleading. A Hyperthreading CPU does not actually divide the resource set in two - a standard CPU when multitasking does that (though if we actually consider the fact that time slices are very slim, even that's a bit of a lie). For a reasonable explanation of how it works... go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthreading

EDIT: Oh - and actually, if the game is actually multi-threaded, then YES hyperthreading CAN make the game run faster than the non-hyperthreaded version of the same core. Bear in mind that that's ONLY in the case where the game is genuinely multi-threaded.
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-06, 06:10 AM   #6
Namrok
Level 42 Conquerer

Send a message via ICQ to Namrok Send a message via AIM to Namrok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtestube
Yes - you could, but what Zelda says is actually a little misleading. A Hyperthreading CPU does not actually divide the resource set in two - a standard CPU when multitasking does that (though if we actually consider the fact that time slices are very slim, even that's a bit of a lie). For a reasonable explanation of how it works... go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperthreading

EDIT: Oh - and actually, if the game is actually multi-threaded, then YES hyperthreading CAN make the game run faster than the non-hyperthreaded version of the same core. Bear in mind that that's ONLY in the case where the game is genuinely multi-threaded.
Huh...so in hyperthreading the second thread gets the leftover execution time from the first thread. Man that would be a nightmare to program for. No wonder it caused so many problems in a lot of games.

Thank god its dead. Dual core for the win!
Namrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-06, 07:18 AM   #7
DJMONDY

My system has this hyperthreading and i did alot of performance testing when i first had my pc but it doesnt affect fps.

Tbh HT causes alot of problems!

1) BSOD when connecting to internet with ht on. never see BSOD with ht off
2) No server list in counterstrike with ht off but ok when on
3) No server list in NFSU2 with ht off but ok when on

Sometimes my internet would connect fine with ht on but most times my pc would crash showing the BSOD. With ht turned off i cant see the server lists in the two games mentioned so i would lose out no matter what i did

Ive had a few other problems with ht on but its constantly off these days as i cant stand it crashing all the time.

This is what i would see at least once every day while trying to connect to the net: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...or_message.jpg

HATE IT!!!!! (pirate)

I think im the only one with these problems no one else seems to get them or know how to sort it out.
DJMONDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-06, 11:33 AM   #8
a12ctic

hyperthreading was just a little shortcut for intel to squeez as much performance out of their netburst chips

Old 07-28-06, 05:04 PM   #9
Yuet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namrok
Huh...so in hyperthreading the second thread gets the leftover execution time from the first thread. Man that would be a nightmare to program for. No wonder it caused so many problems in a lot of games.

Thank god its dead. Dual core for the win!
In a programmer's point of view, coding threads on windows platform are the same disregard of whether it is hyperthreading or dual core. The really important point is how to utilize the threads so that it won't starve the CPU for resource and time. Intel did have a compiler to optimize threads when they introduce HT, think they may have a newer one for Dual core (Not too sure, have not check).

SYS 2: ECS KN1 SLI Extreme, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+, 2 x 512MB Corsair TWINX, Saphire HD3870
Yuet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-06, 05:16 PM   #10
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

I remember that I needed to go into the BIOS setup and disable HT before I could play System Shock 2 without crashing.
CPU: Intel Core2 Q6600@3.3ghz w. Noctua NH-U12P
RAM: 4Gb Crucial Tracer PC-8500
Graphics: XFX Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition
Harddiscs: 2xRaptorX 150gb 10.000 RPM in RAID0
Soundcard: X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Sound: Sennheiser HD600 Headphones + headamp
Keyboard: Logitech DiNovo Edge
Mouse: Razor Orochi
Monitor: Samsung 2232BW (22" 1680*1050)
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-06, 06:40 PM   #11
faraday

from wikipedia:

Quote:
Hyper-Threading works by duplicating certain sections of the processoróthose that store the architectural stateóbut not duplicating the main execution resources. This allows a Hyper-Threading equipped processor to pretend to be two "logical" processors to the host operating system, allowing the operating system to schedule two threads or processes simultaneously. Where execution resources in a non-Hyper-Threading capable processor are not used by the current task, and especially when the processor is stalled, a Hyper-Threading equipped processor may use those execution resources to execute the other scheduled task. (The processor may stall due to a cache miss, branch misprediction, or data dependency.)
Translation: it's just a gimmick.
faraday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-06, 07:22 PM   #12
Demon_82
El Destructor

Actually, when you don't hit the wall of a HT-troubled game, it does help in any situation. That windows background processes wich one can't kill completely have few CPU time necessities, and usually are happy with that leftovers that the HT makes available. At least in my PC, it does help to cut the number of slowdowns caused for that processes.
6 x 2GB Kingston ValueRam DDR3 1333 @ 1520
Nox Pulsar 750w / Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64Bits
Demon_82 is offline   Reply With Quote