Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-06-03, 08:03 AM   #1
myitcv

Send a message via ICQ to myitcv
Thumbs down SuSE 8.1, 4191, garbled screen

Dear All,

Using NVIDIA provided 4191 SuSE 8.1 RPMS. Upgrade from the SuSE provided NVIDIA rpms (which work, if somewhat slowly). init 5 (or startx) to test new driver and I receive a terminal type screen with completely garbled text all over it. Machine is still responding, eg to Alt-Ctrl-Del, but no sensible screen output (even on a virtual console) - the screen appears to have locked.

Any help much appreciated.

Paul
myitcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-03, 05:52 AM   #2
TA00

I have SuSE 8.1 working with the latest nv-driver - but I use the tar-files and compile it. No problems.
Do you use sax2 to configure X ??
For other tip's I need more informations.

regards Christoph
TA00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-03, 05:48 AM   #3
myitcv

Send a message via ICQ to myitcv
Default still no luck

no luck. I have an Asus A7V, GeForce 2 GTS. Using SuSE 8.1, gcc 3.2, recompile either via src.rpm or tar.gz I still receive a black screen (much like a console) with garbled text all over it. Cannot restart X, but machine is otherwise responsive (consolse still does not work).
myitcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-03, 06:32 AM   #4
TA00

Do you want/use a grafic (X) login ?
The drivers can only be installed in init3 mode - no X server running ! If the X server ist running the nvidia-kernelmodule could not be changed - it's used. So if you come from a grafic login, you have to kill the X server (strg-alt-backspace)
If you want a grafic console - the framebufferdevice must set correctly. I don't know how to do this because I don't use framebuffers. I'm using vgamodes to display 40x80 char in consolemode.

regards Christoph
TA00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-03, 04:10 AM   #5
jtill

Lightbulb same problem

Hi myitcv,
i had exactly the same problem as you. suse 8.1, newest nvidia driver, geforce 2 mx 400. When starting x, ascii-garbled screen and lockup with just ctrl-alt-del working. I solved it first by adding

Option "NvAGP" "0"

to the /etc/X11/XF86Config file in the device-section, directly below the "driver"-line. Then it worked, but without agp support. Setting the Option to "1" (See /usr/share/doc/packages/nv_glx/readme) should have enabled nvidias agp support, but didnt work (x started, but still no agp). setting it to "3" (enabling the kernel-modulized agp support via agpgart) reproduced the crash. that changed when i entered the BIOS and changed the agp rate to 1. Now it works!! With agp support. You can check if agp is working by typing: cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status when x is running. Good luck!
But my problem still is: Every opengl game has short "locks" (about 0.3 sec) in regular intervals, although e.g. tuxracer runs with 70 fps. Does anyone know how to fix that?
jtill is offline   Reply With Quote