Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-18-06, 12:49 PM   #25
Zelda_fan

Default Re: Major Nelson HD-DVD vs BluRay podcast

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N
Hey Zelda did you hear the spokesperson for Nvidia's latest podcast? Get this, wait for it. He actually thinks ATI's next card will be a dismall failure because it will inlcude DX10 before them.

In the end him commenting on BluRay and even HD-DVD is pointless being that the 360 has neither.
Bluray is developed by Sony. HD-DVD is developed by Toshiba.

MS was a 3rd part to both, and decided to support HD-DVD becasue they felt it was a superior format. That is a lot different than the analogy you gave.

But if you refuse to educate yourself and stay ignorant, there is not much I can do for you.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-06, 12:50 PM   #26
|MaguS|

Will it look better then VC-1? In my opinion, yes it could. MPEG-4 is another thing. Thats my choice in codec. VC-1 is crap in my opinion. Every movie I have ever encoded using it was lower quality then that of any other format.

But who honestly? Does a single codec matter? Both disc formats support the same codecs and audio compression. The main difference is the method they are created... thats actually it.

Sure some early Blu-Ray movies (not all) look as good as HD-DVD movies but I believe it will get better once more movies start hitting the market since as of right now we have the rushed stuff (they needed something on the market so they threw out anything).

HD-DVD was honestly more prepared for the launch but I don't think it will be the one to win in the long run, Blu-Ray just has the capacity and ability to grow more while HD-DVD will hit a wall and require a change in design due to how it is developed.

Blu-Ray is not developed by Sony... Sony is just a board member. They put alot of funding on the format but they do not control nor do they own it in anyway. People just think it's Sony's format because they are the most out spoken towards it but there are many other studios and developers backing it that are exclusive to Blu-Ray aswell.

Full List of Blu-Ray Supporters
Full List of HD-DVD Supporters
Old 07-18-06, 01:00 PM   #27
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Will it look better then VC-1? In my opinion, yes it could. MPEG-4 is another thing. Thats my choice in codec. VC-1 is crap in my opinion. Every movie I have ever encoded using it was lower quality then that of any other format.
Don't blame VC-1 if you don't know how to encode a video properly. The studios obviosuly know how to make it look better. And why do you think no one is useing MPEG-4?

Quote:
Sure some early Blu-Ray movies (not all) look as good as HD-DVD movies but I believe it will get better once more movies start hitting the market since as of right now we have the rushed stuff (they needed something on the market so they threw out anything).
Don't know what you are talking about, becasue all the Bluray movies look worse than their HD-DVD counterparts.

Quote:
HD-DVD was honestly more prepared for the launch but I don't think it will be the one to win in the long run, Blu-Ray just has the capacity and ability to grow more while HD-DVD will hit a wall and require a change in design due to how it is developed.
This is why you should have listened to the interview. The dual layer 50GB bluray disc will never see the light of day. There are some serious problems with the manufacturing process, and they simply cannot produce it in a cost-effective manner. Theoredically, it can hold more than HD-DVD, but in reality, those kind of discs are not commercially viable. A single-layer bluray disc is very very expensive to produce, much less a dual layer which isn't even out of the lab.

Not only that but you should understand some of the "special features" that HD-DVD supports. All HD-DVD players must be capeable of processing two video streams at the same time. So for example, a director's commentary could be a PIP video of him going behind the scenes explaining the movie instead of some lame audio recording. Not supported on bluray.

Also HD-DVD is backwards compatible. Bluray is not. There have been ideas to put another layer on bluray to make is backwards compatible, but guess what? Not commercially viable. The bluray production process is so complex that they can't go anywhere with the technology.
Old 07-18-06, 01:47 PM   #28
rek075

This podcast discusses facts, not opinions. They aren't sitting around a table discussing why they think HD-DVD will rule and Blu-Ray will die. In fact, they acknowledge that both formats are here to stay and that they don't know whether either techonology will take off in the future.
rek075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-06, 01:59 PM   #29
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rek075
This podcast discusses facts, not opinions. They aren't sitting around a table discussing why they think HD-DVD will rule and Blu-Ray will die. In fact, they acknowledge that both formats are here to stay and that they don't know whether either techonology will take off in the future.
Exactly. But you'll have a hard time convincing Sony fanboys like SIN and MAGUS to listen to facts when they clearly show that HD-DVD is superior.
Old 07-18-06, 03:49 PM   #30
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

I guess I'll have to say it again . . . Blu-Ray looks like crap. It honestly looks like a normal DVD upconverted to 1080i. HD-DVD on the other hand looks amazing. If you don't believe me, go to Best Buy. They leave the remotes and everything out there for you to experiment with.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-06, 04:07 PM   #31
PeterJensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
I guess I'll have to say it again . . . Blu-Ray looks like crap. It honestly looks like a normal DVD upconverted to 1080i. HD-DVD on the other hand looks amazing. If you don't believe me, go to Best Buy. They leave the remotes and everything out there for you to experiment with.
You speak the truth. After looking at them both in the local HIFI shop i came to that same conclusion.
Old 07-18-06, 05:16 PM   #32
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJensen
You speak the truth. After looking at them both in the local HIFI shop i came to that same conclusion.
Same here. I had to look at the product tag twice to be sure it was Blu-Ray that was playing and not a regular DVD.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-06, 05:50 PM   #33
PikachuMan

How can there be a visual difference when they use the same resolution, same bitrate and same compression scheme? They just store data; a "1" doesn't somehow become a "0" because you used a different type of disk. There is absolutely nill difference with regard to image quality possible between HD-DVD and blu-ray technologies.

There can be differences based on the source material (for instance, a 10 year old film-reel rip of "Terminator 1" would look a bit worse than a new hollywood production). That doesn't change regardless if it's put on blu-ray, hd-dvd, hard drive, DVD, CD-rom, whatever.

In reply to the topic; meh. Microsoft isn't neutral in the HD-DVD vs blu-ray conflict. If you are simple enough to think that interview is unbiased...meh.
PikachuMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-06, 06:03 PM   #34
toxikneedle
this.is.a.chemical.burn

Send a message via AIM to toxikneedle Send a message via MSN to toxikneedle

What exactly is a compression scheme I wonder?

They use different codecs, different bitrates and very different output methods.
Old 07-18-06, 06:19 PM   #35
PeterJensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikachuMan
How can there be a visual difference when they use the same resolution, same bitrate and same compression scheme? They just store data; a "1" doesn't somehow become a "0" because you used a different type of disk. There is absolutely nill difference with regard to image quality possible between HD-DVD and blu-ray technologies.

There can be differences based on the source material (for instance, a 10 year old film-reel rip of "Terminator 1" would look a bit worse than a new hollywood production). That doesn't change regardless if it's put on blu-ray, hd-dvd, hard drive, DVD, CD-rom, whatever.

In reply to the topic; meh. Microsoft isn't neutral in the HD-DVD vs blu-ray conflict. If you are simple enough to think that interview is unbiased...meh.
I dont care about all the technical talk, i'm going HD-DVD. I saw it with my own eyes and HD-DVD looked better imo.
Old 07-18-06, 06:41 PM   #36
PikachuMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxikneedle
They use different codecs, different bitrates and very different output methods.
Lies.

Here's blu-ray specs [from blu-ray.com

Quote:
1.8 What video codecs will Blu-ray support?

MPEG-2 - enhanced for HD, also used for playback of DVDs and HDTV recordings.
MPEG-4 AVC - part of the MPEG-4 standard also known as H.264 (High Profile and Main Profile).
SMPTE VC-1 - standard based on Microsoft's Windows Media Video (WMV) technology.

Please note that this simply means that all Blu-ray players and recorders will have to support playback of these video codecs, it will still be up to the movie studios to decide which video codec(s) they use for their releases.

1.9 What audio codecs will Blu-ray support?

Linear PCM (LPCM) - offers up to 8 channels of uncompressed audio.
Dolby Digital (DD) - format used for DVDs also known as AC3, offers 5.1-channel surround sound.
Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) - extension of DD, offers increased bitrates and 7.1-channel surround sound.
Dolby TrueHD - extension of MLP Lossless, offers lossless encoding of up to 8 channels of audio.
DTS Digital Surround - format used for DVDs, offers 5.1-channel surround sound.
DTS-HD - extension of DTS, offers increased bitrates and up to 8 channels of audio.

Please note that this simply means that all Blu-ray players and recorders will have to support playback of these audio codecs, it will still be up to the movie studios to decide which audio codec(s) they use for their releases.
Here are HD-DVD's specs [from DVDforum.com] (image taken from a PDF,-- sorry).

^^They are the same technologies, and you can see differences in source material (turd at 1080p still looks like turd), but that says nothing about the underlying technology. As movies get released, blu-ray will have titles equaling or surpassing HD-DVD in quality.
PikachuMan is offline   Reply With Quote