Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-11-06, 09:27 AM   #1
Dabljuh

Default Post here if you think nVidia should hurry the **** up with their XOrg 7.1 drivers

As the topic suggests:
Post here if you think nVidia should hurry the **** up with their xorg 7.1 drivers

I've waited damn long enough, that's for sure.

/signs
Dabljuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-06, 09:41 AM   #2
_tf_
scriptfoo warrior

Default Re: Post here if you think nVidia should hurry the **** up with their XOrg 7.1 driver

true true!

same request as always... PLEASE release some beta's to test! (pirate)
(or better the final ones)

cheers
tf
Old 07-11-06, 11:13 AM   #3
kernow

Default Re: Post here if you think nVidia should hurry the **** up with their XOrg 7.1 driver

Why is it the case that the legacy drivers can't be included in the Xorg driver source yet.

The GPU's are old, its hardly like nvidia would be releasing any trade secrets by releasing the whole source to the legacy drivers, so that the Xorg 'nv' driver could be more capable (its pretty good already imo).

That way, I'd never need to recompile these legacy drivers ever again for my kernel, they'd just be in Xorg instead.

I must be stupid or something and this is totally not possible. I dont know.

kernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-06, 01:31 PM   #4
elanthis
Always Annoyed

I'd rather that NVIDIA *not* hurry and instead do quality work.

Also, the legacy drivers I'm sure are still just as troublesome to release as the non-legacy drivers. They still have IP, possibly much of it licensed from third parties, that cannot be released to the public.
Old 07-11-06, 02:47 PM   #5
d13f00l

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanthis
I'd rather that NVIDIA *not* hurry and instead do quality work.

Also, the legacy drivers I'm sure are still just as troublesome to release as the non-legacy drivers. They still have IP, possibly much of it licensed from third parties, that cannot be released to the public.
Maybe the US should just give all software patent and IP laws the boot. We wouldn't have this issue then.

If only it were that simple.
d13f00l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-06, 03:15 PM   #6
ashyanbhog

hope nvidia can sync its development cycle with the open source cycle, specially xorg development

Nvidia developers can see code changes being implemented in xorg tree months ahead of its stable release unlike proprietary systems (like MS Windows) and that should help them modify their drivers to accommodate the impending release. Hence i believe delay in updating drivers for new packages / OS should be minimum for open source systems.

Drivers for Linux / BSD should also turn out to be more stable as Nvidia can track down the exact cause for the bug, and fix it or suggest / contribute changes to be implemented in the upstream package that are developed in a open environment.

As Nvidia cannot begin QA testing for stable release until code freeze in upstream package (like xorg or kernel) they can atleast put out a Beta simultaneously, so that the really bleeding edge enthusiasts can get their hands dirty and report bugs when they encounter one. (Availability of a alternative like open source "nv" driver really helps to track down a bug that is specific to either driver)
ashyanbhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-06, 05:45 PM   #7
Robster

Ouch. Another day, another lame thread about what nVidia "should" do.

Read the archives, the issue has been thrashed out from every possible angle. nVidia is not a benevolent participant in the Linux or x.org development, it is a commercial entity which acts in what it sees as its commercial interests. I don't know what value Linux support adds for nVidia (in terms of $$$) but you can bet that a few hundred whining home computer users who want the latest in X11 eye-candy don't figure very highly!

The whole 3D desktop thing is new, in a couple of years it will be established and well-supported. Throwing a tantrum about wanting it RIGHT NOW won't speed it up at all.
Robster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-06, 06:15 PM   #8
zbiggy

Default Re: Post here if you think nVidia should hurry the **** up with their XOrg 7.1 drivers

This is not the technical problem. This is pure politics. The more counted users of OS the bigger development team for OS = more acceleartion, more features. Linux users are uncountable - price of privacy and free software.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-06, 08:32 PM   #9
pipe13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster
Ouch. Another day, another lame thread about what nVidia "should" do.

Read the archives, the issue has been thrashed out from every possible angle. nVidia is not a benevolent participant in the Linux or x.org development, it is a commercial entity which acts in what it sees as its commercial interests. I don't know what value Linux support adds for nVidia (in terms of $$$) but you can bet that a few hundred whining home computer users who want the latest in X11 eye-candy don't figure very highly!

The whole 3D desktop thing is new, in a couple of years it will be established and well-supported. Throwing a tantrum about wanting it RIGHT NOW won't speed it up at all.
I somehow doubt profanity will speed things along either. The moderators posted a month ago that the Xorg 7.1 compatible drivers should be out in August.
1. Do any current distros even use 7.1 yet? ("test" releases don't count...)
2. Does anyone here know what a "development schedual" is?

Okay, I know most of you do. And most of you are avoiding this thread like the plague....
pipe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-06, 01:24 AM   #10
STrRedWolf

Gentoo has 7.1 out for all but the x86 and amd64 platforms because of the driver issue. Nvidia and ATI lagging behind is what's preventing 7.1 from being pushed into "stable".

I belive Ubuntu is also using 7.1 now, but I won't be suprized if it's still using 7.0 because of the driver issues.
STrRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-06, 12:24 PM   #11
Spyke
Foxie

Send a message via AIM to Spyke Send a message via MSN to Spyke Send a message via Yahoo to Spyke

IP? Yeah, blame S3TC. There isn't much else in the drivers offhand is there that you can think of?

Thats one patent that needs invalidated, hopefully it happens someday.
12GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Onkyo TX SR-707 | 70" Sharp Aquos LCD | KEF Audio 5.1 C3/C6LCR/C7
Workstation:
Intel i7 920 D0 @ 4GHz | ASUS Rampage II Extreme | GTX 480 @ 800Mhz | Koolance VID-NX480 | Lian-Li V1200B | Corsair HX1000
EK NB ASUS HP | Watercool HeatKiller 3.0 | Feser Extreme X-360 | 2x160GB Intel X25-M SSD RAID0 | 4x2TB WD20EARS RAID10
12GB Corsair Dominator @ 8-8-8-24-1T DDR3-1600 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Pioneer DVR-212D | Gentoo Linux
Dell 3008WFP | JohnBlue JB3 | CityPulse DA2.03e II DAC | KingRex T20U w/ Modded Auricaps & PSU | Glow Audio Sub One
Server:
Quad Socket Opteron 8356 (16 cores) @ 2.3GHz | Supermicro H8QMi-2 | Supermicro 2U Chassis | Redundant 1200W PSU
32GB 2GBx16 DDR2-667 ECC | 4x 300GB Cheetah SAS RAID10 | Adaptec 5805 512MB w/BBU | Colocated | Gentoo Linux
Spyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-06, 12:27 PM   #12
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Post here if you think nVidia should hurry the **** up with their XOrg 7.1 drivers

The next driver release will support Xorg-7.1. And before someone asks, I'm afraid that I cannot provide a timeframe for that release right now.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote