Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-16-06, 09:57 PM   #1
Veep
Random hacker

Default Windows 95

I am trying to resurrect Windows 95 to test some old video games that don't even work properly under Windows 98. The PC I am using has a GeForce2 MX 100/200. Among the nVidia drivers that claim to work with Windows 95, I tested 81.98, 71.84, 66.94 and 29.42. Not a one of them installed successfully. The installer finishes, the computer reboots, but I still cannot select any decent video modes. Attempts to install the driver manually resulted in an unbootable system every time.

Is there anyone alive who knows how to get an nVidia driver to work under Windows 95? If not, I shall be forced to take drastic measures (*cough* ATI Mach 64 *cough*).
Veep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-06, 12:34 AM   #2
sharangad

Default Re: Windows 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veep
I am trying to resurrect Windows 95 to test some old video games that don't even work properly under Windows 98. The PC I am using has a GeForce2 MX 100/200. Among the nVidia drivers that claim to work with Windows 95, I tested 81.98, 71.84, 66.94 and 29.42. Not a one of them installed successfully. The installer finishes, the computer reboots, but I still cannot select any decent video modes. Attempts to install the driver manually resulted in an unbootable system every time.

Is there anyone alive who knows how to get an nVidia driver to work under Windows 95? If not, I shall be forced to take drastic measures (*cough* ATI Mach 64 *cough*).

On Windows '98, you need to reinstall the GART drivers for the AGP bus ( mobo drivers ) everytime you reinstall graphics drivers. I've never had an AGP card under Windows '95, but I'm guessing 'tis the same. Without the GART drivers, your graphics card proly won't work very well.
sharangad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-06, 06:30 AM   #3
nukem

You could install Linux and try the games under dosbox(for DOS games) and wine(for win games) it usally works pretty well.
Old 07-18-06, 09:11 AM   #4
Veep
Random hacker

Under Windows 98 SE the nVidia drivers worked fine. The problem only occurs under Windows 95. But the drivers claim to be W95-compatible.

This computer is a Gateway. The invoice says Tabor III mobo. Linux tells me its chipset is Intel 440BX. The Win95 I'm trying to use is the original release, Version 4.00.950.

I have tried installing the Intel INF file recommended for this chipset and OS, and I have tried not installing it. I have tried the drivers from nVidia's site and I have tried the bare-bones drivers from Gateway. In all cases, once the drivers have been ingested by W95, the system won't boot.

I looked on both Gateway and Intel's web site for additional GART drivers for this chipset and found none. As far as I can tell, Tabor doesn't exist.

The one thing I still need to do is inspect the Gateway drivers CD that came with the computer to see if there are any Windows 95 drivers on it. The PC originally shipped with Win98SE, but maybe they were feeling generous.
Old 07-18-06, 10:13 AM   #5
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
The Win95 I'm trying to use is the original release, Version 4.00.950.
That's probably your problem. You may need to be running one of the Win 95 service candidates in order to get more recent drivers to install. Only other thing I can suggest is going way back in the NVIDIA driver archives (available on their FTP server) and downloading a Detonator 1x.xx or 2x.xx driver.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-06, 01:14 PM   #6
swaaye

Try to dig up Win95C (OEM Service Release 2.5) from one of the wonderful online sources out there. It's the most "up to date" version of 95.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_95

95 is lacking in good USB and AGP support, btw. You may just want to dig up a Voodoo2 or Voodoo3 PCI.

I am actually quite surprised that you are having probs with 9x games in 98SE. I don't think I've ever seen that. I use 98SE for all my retro machines and 9x games. It really is the best of the lot. I have a Pentium Pro 1MB @ 233MHz w/ 98SE that I've run all sorts of strange games on, including VIRGE-accelerated games(!!). I also use 98SE's DOS 7 for dos games, such as Wing Commander 3. I have a PCI Radeon in it right now, only because I wanted SVideo out. Otherwise I've used all sorts of cards in it, from Riva TNT, S3 Virge, Voodoo3, and Voodoo2 SLI.

I actually do have a GF2MX 200 in the drawer, lol. Ok card. Very sharp 2D believe it or not. That's shocking for a GF2-era NV card.

What games are you having probs with in 98SE?
swaaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-06, 11:14 PM   #7
Veep
Random hacker

I've been barking up the wrong tree.

The offending game was Doom95. (I know, there are thousands of DOOM ports that work under every OS, but the point was to test this one.) The mouse didn't work under Windows 98 SE, and the documentation had lots of vague unhelpfulness about mouse compatibility issues in it, so I figured I needed Windows 95.

No, dag gum it, what I needed was the .VXD file that Activision just forgot to put on the DOOM Collector's Edition CD. See: http://www.classicdoom.com/dmouse.htm. Install that, and Doom95 runs fine under W98SE.

Thank you all for the help, anyways, but it looks like Windows 95 is going back in the can.
Old 07-19-06, 08:03 AM   #8
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Thank you all for the help, anyways, but it looks like Windows 95 is going back in the can.
It may be old, but be sure to try out GLDoom. I used it many years ago, and it worked great with my old GF2-3 cards. Full 3D-hardware accelerated Doom action.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-06, 05:03 PM   #9
swaaye

Doomsday is by far the best port of the Doom engine. You can run all of the Dooms, and Hexen and Heretic. There are 3D model packs, texture packs, tons of 3D rendering improvements for lighting and shadowing, etc. It even has support for online multiplayer thru a server browser.
swaaye is offline   Reply With Quote