Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-21-06, 02:30 AM   #1
KiwiGeF2
Need to fix GeForce 2...

Default Is this card broken or is something else wrong?

I have just picked up a Quadro 2 MX/EX to replace a GeForce 2 GTS that was failing (streaks and ghosting) for a Dell P220 (dual PIII/800) running Fedora 3 (note its an SMP system).

I first installed the nVidia "universal" legacy (1.0-7182.pkg1) driver with the GeForce still in place with the idea that with this in place, the new card would be recognised. This much seems to be OK.

On installing the "new" card and starting up, the monitor is getting no signal, even during the boot up phase. My reading of that is that the Quadro card is dead. But before I ask the vendor for a refund, is there some other thing that might cause this?

My own thinking is that this initial step (VGA working while the initial bootup is running) should work regardless of the kernel, etc., so the fault should be a hardware issue, or possibly something in the BIOS--? The simlest would be that the card simply doesn't work. But I'm not a engineer...

And I just have to say that the dancing banana "emoticon" is crazy!
KiwiGeF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-06, 03:28 AM   #2
pe1chl

Default Re: Is this card broken or is something else wrong?

Yes I think you are correct. Any card should display the normal boot screen on a standard monitor.
When your monitor does work OK (it shows the boot screen of other cards or computers) and it does not work with this card, there must be something wrong with the card.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-06, 04:47 AM   #3
KiwiGeF2
Need to fix GeForce 2...

Thanks for your reply.

AGP bus settings or something like that couldn't cause this could they? The guy who sold the thing to me has just replied saying I should "check the motherboard AGP settings" (however you do that--look in the BIOS settings?). Thing is though, I choose a Quadro 2 to replace the GeForce 2 as thought they'd be essentially the same in that respect (among other things) in the hope that I'd be very unlikely to run into these sorts of issues.
Old 07-21-06, 07:03 AM   #4
SaTaN0rX

if you clear the cmos, this should set all bios settings back to sane defaults.

there is a jumper on most mainboards to do this. else, remove mains power,
press the PC's power button (to empty all capacitors), and remove the lithium
battery.

if it still doesn't work, the card is defective. but if you are unsure,
doublecheck by inserting the card in another computer (if you have the possibility to do so)

SaTaN0rX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-06, 08:32 AM   #5
KiwiGeF2
Need to fix GeForce 2...

Thanks for that, the card now is recognised and I'm away... nice to have a sane screen again after the mess of the last week or so. Zapping the CMOS then re-buiding the kernel modules for the new card did the trick.