Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-23-06, 12:32 PM   #1
webmal

Exclamation Display adapter scaling vs monitor scaling

I have a 7600GT and a Dell 2407WFP LCD monitor. In the control panel under "Digital Flat Panel Settings" there are options for either "display adapter scaling" or "monitor scaling". Which is best? On the one hand I know the 7600GT is a good card and should be able to handle the job but on the other hand the Genesis signal processor is dedicated to the task and might do a better job then the GPU. I know "try it and see" is a valid answer to my question, but I would like to know the reasons behind why one would (should) be better than the other.
webmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-06, 10:40 PM   #2
DoubleDeuce

Default Re: Display adapter scaling vs monitor scaling

I can't give you all the details you are looking for, but imo display adapter scaling produced less ghosting on my LCD. Not sure on your particular model if it would help or produce a better image quality.
MSI 8800gts OC
DoubleDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-06, 01:24 AM   #3
stevemedes
Intel Virgin

Send a message via AIM to stevemedes

What a coincidence I was about to post about the same question. Now 2 people want to know.
stevemedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-06, 02:35 AM   #4
JMerrick

Try both and decide which is better... duh.

Personally on my 16:9 notebook LCD I don't use any scaling. It's 1280x800 and I leave it on that, if I use a 1024x768 res it is centred and cropped on the sides.
JMerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-06, 03:41 AM   #5
stisoas

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmal
I have a 7600GT and a Dell 2407WFP LCD monitor. In the control panel under "Digital Flat Panel Settings" there are options for either "display adapter scaling" or "monitor scaling". Which is best? On the one hand I know the 7600GT is a good card and should be able to handle the job but on the other hand the Genesis signal processor is dedicated to the task and might do a better job then the GPU. I know "try it and see" is a valid answer to my question, but I would like to know the reasons behind why one would (should) be better than the other.

jsut buy a 1337 CRT screen
stisoas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-06, 08:38 AM   #6
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by stisoas
jsut buy a 1337 CRT screen
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-06, 09:24 PM   #7
DoubleDeuce

I remembered reading a forceware tweak guide and went back to it. Here is what it says and the link.

Display Adapter Scaling - The scaling unit on your graphics card will rescale the image before it reaches your monitor. If you have a high-end graphics card and a relatively middle-to-low end monitor, this option results in the best image quality and is the one most recommended.
Centered Output - The image isn't scaled at all, but instead your monitor will run at its maximum resolution and the image will display in the center of your monitor. This may result in a black border around the sides of the image.
Monitor Scaling - If you have a high-end monitor, try this form of scaling versus the Display Adapter Scaling option above to see which is best. Otherwise usually the scalers in monitors are not as good as those on high end graphics hardware.
Fixed Aspect Ratio Scaling - Similar to Centered Output scaling, this option will maintain the original aspect ratio of the chosen resolution and display it with black bars to the sides/above/below the on-screen image.

http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_6.html
MSI 8800gts OC
DoubleDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote