Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-10-03, 08:28 PM   #1
Marty

Talking Red Hat 8.0 Nforce mobo audio, video, lan all work updated instructions

Many thanks to Steel, without whom, I never would have gotten x working with Red Hat 8.0. With the Nforce motherboards, there are also issues with the nic and sound and every time there is a kernel update, you have to go through the whole mess all over again. I have modified his instructions to reflect the new file names and have included the instructions for getting the nic and sound drivers updated, which were not in his post..

I have downloaded and burned to a cd the 3 src rpms from Nvidia:
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.src.rpm
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.src.rpm
NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0248.src.rpm

You don't have to burn them to CD, you could just save them to your hard drive if you like, but these instructions show how to do it from CD.

First, open a terminal and log in as root
"su -"
Then:

Step 1> Open /etc/inittab file and change the following line. be carefull while changing this line. This will allow linux to reboot in text multiuser mode.
Change :
id:5:initdefault: to id:3:initdefault:

Step 2> rename the previosly compiled kernel to make a backup copy. In a terminal window.
"cd /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386"
"mv NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.i386.rpm NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.i386.rpm.old"

Step 3> upgrade your kernel to the new kernel-2.4.18-xx.x.x and kernel-source-2.4.18-xx.x.x and hwdata using the redhat downloader. You must have all dependencies installed. The best way to ensure that you have all dependencies is to just go start menu > system settings > packages > and in the development section choose the Kernel development packge and install the whole thing.

Step 4> Reboot and run linux in the new kernel. It will start in the command line mode. You will get errors about networking because the sound and nic drivers are not right yet. Login as root. After root log in, then su -.

Step 5> remove the previously loaded GLX and kernel files in the right order as below.

rpm -e NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191
rpm -e NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191

Step 6> mount the CD where the 3 nforce drivers are.

cd /dev
mount cdrom
cd /mnt/cdrom
ls
you now see a list of all 3 src rpm's.

Step 7> on command line do a "rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.src.rpm" to create drivers for the RH new kernel that we have now booted the system in. (This will again create the new binary RPM for the new kernel in "/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.i386.rpm")

Step 8> Install this new (NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.i386.rpm)
"rpm -ivh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.i386.rpm"

Step 9> on command line do a "rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.src.rpm" to create drivers for the GLX. (This will again create the new binary RPM for the GLX in "/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.i386.rpm")

Step 10> Install the GLX (NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.i386.rpm)
"rpm -ivh NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.i386.rpm"

Step 11> uninstall the nforce drivers for sound and nic.
"rpm -e NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0248"

Step 12> on command line do a "rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0248.src.rpm" to create drivers for the nic and sound. (This will again create the new binary RPM for the nic and sound in "/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0248.rpm")

Step 13> install the nforce drivers for sound and nic.
"rpm -ivh NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0248"

Step 14> your Xconfig file should work from before and you dont have to change anything in there.
now do "startx" to start XServer.

Step 15> once XServer works fine Open /etc/inittab file and change the following line again. This will allow linux to reboot in GUI mode again.
Change :
id:3:initdefault: to id:5:initdefault:

Step 16> reboot again, kudzu will find the nic and ask you to migrate over the old settings. Everything should now work as before.

My system:
Asus A7N 266 VM
AMD XP 1600+
512 MB Mushkin 2,2,2 DDR PC2100
17" NEC multisynch FE700

This actually plays UT2K3 as long as you don't get too crazy with detail levels.

Last edited by STEEL1 on 10-21-2002 at 11:39 PM
(as modified by Marty 2-12-2003 at 12:44 PM)

Last edited by Marty; 02-12-03 at 12:45 PM.
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-03, 05:05 PM   #2
Cheshiremackat
Crush K8

Default Here is how I did it (little different)

Here is how I did it on the weekend, little different than above, in some ways better, some worse... I would suppose this is the way to do it if you either want a 'clean install' or do not have Linux already installed... I will be brief, as I am only including the info that is 'non-standard' (ie. read how to edit the XF86Config file in the above post)... I did this on a Asus A7N-266VM

1) somehow get the redhat isos (self explanitory), and the Nforce -0248 drivers (rpm) and the Nvidia 3123.src.rpm and 3123.src.rpm... I used a zip disk for the drivers...

2) when the Redhat installer screen starts, type "linux text"... I could not get the graphical installer to work

3) Choose a custom install... install everything that is default, plus the "kernel development" packages

4) Do NOT set up Xserver...

5) Reboot, at the command promt log in and SU to root...

6) move to the directory where the nforce drivers are...

7) Install the Nforce driver first... (rpm -ivh Nvidia_nforce*)

8) Build the kernel and glx drivers... rpmbuild --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel* &NVIDIA_GLX*...

9) Reboot

10) Kudzu will inform you of all kinds of new hardware... choose ignore...

11) at the command prompt run redhat-config-xfree86 --set -driver nvidia THIS IS KEY, the program will crash without specifying the --set -driver nvidia part...

12) Edit the XF86Config file as per normal (/etc/X11/)

13) edit the /etc/inittab to change default mose to 5 from 3 (see above post, do in reverse)

14) Edit the /etc/modules.conf and change the Sound-Slot-1 to Sound-Slot-0 (zero) i810...

15) Check your HD performance... as root /sbin/hdparm -tT /dev/hda and chack the output... then try /sbin/hdparm -c1 -d1 /dev/hda ...then rerun the /hdparm -tT /dev/hda and look for a performance change... (should be significant)... if the numbers are better than add the /sbin/hdparm -c1 -d1 /dev/hda to your rc.local file... (so it works every restart)

16) SU to a normal user

17) STARTX...

I know I have been brief... consider this an update to the excellent guide for nforce chips and redhat 7.3... I would suggest reading that guide first, then seeing how I altered some of the steps to get 8.0 working... any questions, just ask...

_CMK
Cheshiremackat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-03, 05:09 PM   #3
Cheshiremackat
Crush K8

Default one more thing

Any other nforce users find it silly that the graphical installer works for redhat 7.3 but crashes under 8.0? This was a total pain in the ass! I hope redhat fixes this for phoebe (8.1)... I do NOT want to continue installing in text mode...

Any nforce2 users (IGP chips) try to install redhat 8.0 and have to use the text installer? Or is is only us lowly nforce1 users>?

_CMK
Old 02-12-03, 04:04 PM   #4
Marty

Talking

I agree, it's nuts to have to go through this every time there is an update to the kernel. You could try using the command lines I show above to create a script to do most of the update for you. You would still need to edit /etc/inittab before starting, but that is pretty trivial.
Old 02-12-03, 05:39 PM   #5
Cheshiremackat
Crush K8

Default Still...

I am quite 'on the fence' about this issue... I mean Nvidia needs to keep its IP safe, but the Nforce chipset is one of the best out there, certainly for Linux (when it is installed)... yet we have to go through all kinds of hoops to get it running...

and it seems to be getting worse.. I could use the graphical installer in RH 7.3 ... now I have to do a text install for RH 8.0... what a drag...

Hey Andy (from Nvidia)... I had an idea... what about GPL'ing a VERY simple driver set for Linux... nothing fancy, 2D alone like RIVA-esque level of technology... that way the driver could be included in Distro's and allow us LOYAL customers to use the 'graphical' installer and get a working desktop without X crashing... then when we want to get the "proper Closed Source" drivers (with all the goodies) we can D/L the drivers as per normal, but we do not have to go through all the CLI stuff...

_Thoughts?

_CMK
Old 02-13-03, 12:34 PM   #6
Marty

Talking

Don't foget while you're at it, if it's drivers for an nforce mobo, you will need to have support for the nic in there as well, otherwise, you will have a pretty x desktop, but no way to download the drivers you need. Maybe leave out sound support and just put in basic nic driver for the distros, at least we can then get the "real" drivers from Nvidia.
Old 02-15-03, 02:48 AM   #7
rudemood12

Send a message via AIM to rudemood12

ive been messing with my nforce board for days now, and just when i thought i had it figured out, i look in my etc/x11 file to modify my XF86Config and its not there....

also, what should i use to modify it given there is no pico in RH8?
rudemood12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-03, 03:06 AM   #8
Cheshiremackat
Crush K8

Default VIM to the rescue

ok... here is what I think you need to do...assuming you have installed the 3 drivers already

first, there is no XF86Config in RH 8.0 until you run # redhat-config-xfree86 ... since your board is an nforce you will need to add --set-driver nvidia so the command to enter is

# redhat-config-xfree86 --set-driver nvidia
this will create an XF86Config file
to edit use vim... (usually referred to as vi)... so vi XF86Config will open the file (similar to pico) to edit a line you need to hit the insert key first to change back from "edit" mode hit esc...
make the standard changes to the XF86Config file then hit esc then :wq in one line w(write) q(quit) this will take you back to the command line... thenstartx and you are away!

_CMK

Old 02-15-03, 01:00 PM   #9
rudemood12

thanks to all who answered my questions... i finally got it up and running...

however, now, im a little concerned about updating the system kernel.

from what i understand, all i need to do is upate the kernel, then rebuild the rpms from the source rpms and reinstall the nvidia kernel and GLX drivers, right? what about the nforce rpm?

my other question is, how can i check to see if my system is up to par? nforce board, not necessarily graphics wise, just HD access wise, cause im going to be using it as a game server...

thanks once again...
Old 02-15-03, 02:43 PM   #10
Cheshiremackat
Crush K8

Default use HDPARM

check out this link and see how to tune your HD

http://linux.oreillynet.com/pub/a/li...29/hdparm.html

_CMK
Old 02-15-03, 04:43 PM   #11
Marty

Talking

Hey Rudemood12;

When you are ready to update your kernal, just refer to the first post in this thread, that is exactly what it is for. I use these instructions everytime there is an updated kernal. I installed RH 8.0 when if first came out, so I have done this, what, 4 times now? Anyway, RH 8.0 does have PICO, I use it all the time, it's just not installed by default. Look in your add packages (system settings/packages) area and look around till you find PICO. I think it was under text editors. Good Luck;

Marty
Old 02-16-03, 11:03 AM   #12
rudemood12

hey man, thanks for the note, ill be sure to refer to it. thanks to all you guys!