Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-06, 01:05 PM   #1
pinaraf

Default Still no X.org 7.1 support ?

Hi

A few minutes ago, ATI released their 8.27.10 drivers for Linux. With support for X.org 7.1.
In october, they released their first drivers with a working suspend support, and it has improved to be working out of the box everywhere since january.
nVidia drivers still lack X.org 7.1 support. Their seem to be still some issues with suspend support.
From my point of view, ATI is going to beat nVidia if they continue that way.

They're applying a simple idea : "release early, release often". It seems to work.
Old 07-28-06, 02:01 PM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: Still no X.org 7.1 support ?

So, what's your point? Nvidia doesn't officially support xorg 7.1. As you could have seen on the forum the drivers can be used nonetheless with some tricks. Please don't let this escalate into a flamewar.
Old 07-28-06, 02:08 PM   #3
pinaraf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
Please don't let this escalate into a flamewar.
Perhaps it'd wake up some people and have less people trolling "ATI sucks, nVidia rocks". And perhaps the disparition of this myth would improve behaviour of both companies. From ATI, I've nothing special to expect. From nVidia, faster releases are asked by a lot of people.
Old 07-28-06, 02:47 PM   #4
elanthis
Always Annoyed

The ATI driver's X.org 7.1 is sort of... well, not that interesting. Xv doesn't work, for example. And their driver didn't add the GLX_texture_from_pixmap extension, necessary for AIGLX or improved XGL performance.
Old 07-28-06, 05:24 PM   #5
zbiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinaraf
Hi

A few minutes ago, ATI released their 8.27.10 drivers for Linux. With support for X.org 7.1.
In october, they released their first drivers with a working suspend support, and it has improved to be working out of the box everywhere since january.
nVidia drivers still lack X.org 7.1 support. Their seem to be still some issues with suspend support.
From my point of view, ATI is going to beat nVidia if they continue that way.

They're applying a simple idea : "release early, release often". It seems to work.
ATI won the 7.1 race . I can not believe it just happened. I was sure Nvidia will be the winner. It is better to have any x.org 7.1 support than none. Since December 2005 ATI has changed itself. I like this strategy: "release early, release often". It better suits rapid development of open community. At the beginning Nvidia driver development was fast and feature rich. All slowed down at Geforce FX time. Looking at ATI monthly releases I feel Nvidia slowndows. I also think that Nvidia Linux advatange is melting.

It is said Nvidia will release x.org 7.1 compatible driver in Autumn. According to phoronix:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=520&num=1
at the end of this year x.org 7.2 will be launched. People can become angry again if x.org 7.2 will be present at this time and Nvidia will just launch x.org 7.1 driver. I hope making 7.2 support will not take so much time as 7.0->7.1 took already.

Maybe Nvidia will make us surprise and release 7.1/7.2 combo driver in Autumn? I like Nvidia but I'm tired of waiting and waitng...
Old 07-28-06, 05:26 PM   #6
russofris

It is my observation that nvidia's long lead time to xorg7.1 compatability is due to nvidia's forgoing of fixes to the 8xxx and concentration on the development of the 9xxx codebase. Compromises like this often occur in dev shops with limited resources (time, money, personel). Nvidia wants to get 9xxx out the door asap, even if this costs them two months of compatability. The bulk of my discontent stems from the lack of release dates, source code, etc, and not from the fact that they chose to abandon the 8xxx driver series.

Let me also express my surprise that nobody has donated a bus analyzer to the DRI team, or reverse engineered the Nvidia driver themselves. PCIe analyzers are going for around $10K from tektronix. While this may seem expensive, it's definately not "out of reach" for organizations sponsoring linux development. Heck, I spent over $5M (M meaning Million) this year on storage alone!. I can't imagine that a rev-eng and rewrite of a driver would cost more than $250K.

Last but not least, a positive note. AMD merged with ATI. What does this mean for us linux users? Since ATI can now put their chips directly on the HT bus, ATI is not under obligation from Intel to keep the PCI comm IP under wraps (I believe that this is one of the reasons that Nv no longer releases their driver source). Since the ATI linux codebase isn't coupled to their windows codebase, they may escape the wrath of the MS IP lawyers as well (Microsoft also sent Nv the CaD letters for their NV1x drivers). So we may be able to look forward to GPL's A/MD/TI drivers in the future, unless they wuss out on us, in which case paragraph 2 is our best option.

I feel bad for the position that Gfx chipset vendors are currently in. Nv isn't an enemy of linux. MS and Intel are.

Frank

This is not an A vs. N thread, it's a linux thread.
Old 07-28-06, 05:38 PM   #7
gilboa
Linux addict...

Quote:
Microsoft also sent Nv the CaD letters for their NV1x drivers
I hate Microsoft as much as the next guy... but what do they have to do with OSS nv drivers? Can you post a link to backup this claim?
(I'm not trying to open a flame war... I just wonder how-come this letter never got vocally publicized...)
LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F19/x86_64.
Old 07-28-06, 05:42 PM   #8
zbiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanthis
The ATI driver's X.org 7.1 is sort of... well, not that interesting. Xv doesn't work, for example. And their driver didn't add the GLX_texture_from_pixmap extension, necessary for AIGLX or improved XGL performance.
But some 7.1 support is already available. Who knows if ATI in next month will finish feature set? Now ATI everywhere gains attention as 7.1 race winner. This is wake up signal for Nvidia to join the race and start protecting Linux leader position. If AMD will push more on ATI Linux driver development the winter time can be quite interesting for customers looking for Linux hardware.

Old 07-28-06, 07:51 PM   #9
energyman76b

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbiggy
But some 7.1 support is already available. Who knows if ATI in next month will finish feature set? Now ATI everywhere gains attention as 7.1 race winner. This is wake up signal for Nvidia to join the race and start protecting Linux leader position. If AMD will push more on ATI Linux driver development the winter time can be quite interesting for customers looking for Linux hardware.
so they recompiled their driver against 7.1, but added none of the features?

That is not a win - that is nothing. It is embarrasing. But ATI had a lot of 'nothing else but some pci-ids' releases in the past, so nothing new from that front.

Besides - I am using 7.1 and nvidia's drivers at the moment. What am I doing wrong?
Old 07-28-06, 09:51 PM   #10
kenyee

Actually, one other useful thing according to that Phoronix article is that the new ATI drivers let you position the screen in TV-Out...that's something that's missing in the current Linux nVidia drivers AFAIK. It's something the HTPC crowd has been complaining about...
Old 07-28-06, 10:34 PM   #11
TPG
Unregistered User

This became whining ...
Old 07-29-06, 05:43 AM   #12
Thunderbird

There's no good reason to continue this thread so that's why I close it. I warned you guys before to not let it escalate in a flamewar or some whining thread.
Closed Thread