Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-09-03, 07:15 AM   #1
Uttar

Send a message via AIM to Uttar Send a message via Yahoo to Uttar
Default Okay, so we mocked the GFFX. Great. Now I'm just gonna pretend it doesn't exist...

Hey,

I've seen a LOT of anti-GFFX posts and threads. I'd say the number should be said in billions, but anyway...

I don't think contributing to those threads is of any use. It was, originally, to make nVidia understand the GFFX was a flop. But now that they seem to have canned the Ultra version...

nVidia damage control theory is really quite simple. Pretend they aren't trying to get the performance crown anymore with the GFFX.
That theory makes a lot of sense, because if drivers could give the performance crown the GFFX Ultra, then the R350 would come and get it back. It would actually hurt nVidia's reputation further to pretend they had the performance crown with the NV30!

NV30, thus, has become a workstation core. It'll be nVidia's ultimate high-end, but very expensive, Quadro FX.

Now, nVidia's plan has become clear. Destroy the inventory with the GFFX Regular, and try to get a small part of the investment back using the Quadro FX.

nVidia's focus, now, is NV31/NV34 and NV35. NV31 and NV34 will probably be in stores for April, and the NV35 for June.

Okay. So what's even the use of continuing this NV30 trashing? Sure, for fun. Agreed. But I, for one, already had enough fun with it.
So, I'm going to remain out of the NV30 trashing threads. I'm not going to comment on NV30-specific issues.

But what am I gonna talk about, then?
- NV31/NV33/NV34/NV35/NV36/NV40
- R350/RV350/R400 ( without comparing them to the NV30, only to other nVidia/ATI products )
- Games
- Anything which isn't related directly to the NV30 core ( although NV3x is fine )

A while back, I said I was gonna buy a GFFX Ultra. Of course, since it's canned, I'm not going to do so anymore ( I hate preorders )
If I can find a GFFX Regular here in Belgium, I might buy it. If it's acceptably priced. Otherwise I could get a NV31, or wait for my GPU upgrade until the NV35.
No matter what, *IF* I buy a GFFX Regular, don't expect to see me talking much about it. One post, maybe two, not more.

Thanks for reading my rant,

Uttar
Uttar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-03, 10:31 AM   #2
digitalwanderer

Question Yeah, but a question.

But what do you think about the NV30? The FX?
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-03, 11:49 AM   #3
Shinri Hikari
Lantern in the dark

Did you even read the post, digit? What i read was that this closed the discussion for him! Can he be more clear?
Old 02-09-03, 11:52 AM   #4
Uttar

Quote:
Originally posted by Shinri Hikari
Did you even read the post, digit? What i read was that this closed the discussion for him! Can he be more clear?
He was being sarcastic I guess

BTW, Digit, I ain't gonna answer that, because I don't know what you're talking about

Uttar
Old 02-09-03, 11:58 AM   #5
MikeC
Administrator

Hi Uttar,

Don't be so hard on yourself. Your a great guy and I hope you continue to contribute to the forum.

As for NVIDIA, they got what they wanted with the GeForce FX Ultra. Exposure at the major web site which leads to brand recognition. What's been the most popular topic of discussion during the past couple of weeks?

When Joe Consumer goes to Dell and configures a new system, NVIDIA is looking for Joe to remember their name when choosing a graphics card.

Don't let the nay-sayers get to you and enjoy what you have. NVIDIA will bounce back.

Cheers,
Mike
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-03, 01:02 PM   #6
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Uttar
He was being sarcastic I guess

BTW, Digit, I ain't gonna answer that, because I don't know what you're talking about

Uttar
Thanks for taking it in the spirit it was intended, I mean ya no insult.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-03, 02:10 PM   #7
Uttar

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeC
Hi Uttar,

Don't be so hard on yourself. Your a great guy and I hope you continue to contribute to the forum.

As for NVIDIA, they got what they wanted with the GeForce FX Ultra. Exposure at the major web site which leads to brand recognition. What's been the most popular topic of discussion during the past couple of weeks?

When Joe Consumer goes to Dell and configures a new system, NVIDIA is looking for Joe to remember their name when choosing a graphics card.

Don't let the nay-sayers get to you and enjoy what you have. NVIDIA will bounce back.

Cheers,
Mike
Thanks, as I said I'll continue contributing to those forums

Well, I really don't think nVidia got what they wanted. What they wanted probably was reviewers saying both cards were *equal* - problem is, all they got is reviewers saying the GFFX is slightly worse.
Of course, any publicity is good publicity. But in this case, I really don't think it's all that good...

nVidia is looking for Joe Consumer to remember their name. It's fine with them if he remembers the name and nothing else. But if he remembers "nVidia manufactures loud, expensive and inefficient GPUs" , then they're in big trouble...

The reason I won't talk about the GFFX anymore is just that I think our job is done. nVidia cancelled the GFFX Ultra, partly because of the bad feedback. They reacted on it. We had our fun ( and I must say, it was indeed quite fun bashing nVidia for a few days )

Now, I'd just like to forget about the GFFX. I think switching to other things is a lot more logical right now.
I don't expect anyone to follow my move. But one less person not fueling the fire anymore is always better, IMO.

So, since I won't consider the NV30 anymore ( and yes, this does include the NV30GL, because I think it's way overpriced based on current performance and I'm not too positive on it either ) , what will I post about?

Well, for a few days or weeks, my post count obviously ain't gonna grow a lot. I'll be sure to speculate on NV31/NV34/NV35 once info becomes available, and I'll also post feedback on those products once they're available...
Some feedback on the R350 ( without considering performane compared to the NV30 ) would also make sense.

What would make me post more, however, is if "someone" who sent some "some info" several weeks ago accepted to say me "something" which he didn't want to say because he feared "someone else" would figure out who "he" is
Aww, I'd really like to know what it is that he didn't want to say...

Uttar
Old 02-09-03, 09:50 PM   #8
MikeC
Administrator

Quote:
What would make me post more, however, is if "someone" who sent some "some info" several weeks ago accepted to say me "something" which he didn't want to say because he feared "someone else" would figure out who "he" is
Does this have anything to do with the "Are you Ready" video that had "Message for Uttar?"
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-03, 12:24 AM   #9
poursoul
i eat people

Quote:
Thanks, as I said I'll continue contributing to those forums

Uttar
you may be too good for everyone else uttar(in your head) but you're not too good for me, SPILL THE BEANS!

BTW:
poursoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-03, 01:08 AM   #10
Uttar

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeC
Does this have anything to do with the "Are you Ready" video that had "Message for Uttar?"
Nope, nothing at all. I really got no idea what it is. It's just someone who contacted me ( he already told me some minor info before, which revealed to be correct ) and who decided to destroy his message before I've seen it because he was afraid someone would figure out he leaked the info...

Ah well... I really can't ask for too much I guess we'll all see what that info is one day or another anyway...

Uttar