Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-21-06, 10:17 AM   #1
jcat

Default Can't switch from xserver console vt7 to any text console

Sorry if this is a duplicate post, but I have searched the forum and I can't seem to find an answer.

Before I start an xserver I can switch between any of the text consoles no problem, vt1, vt2, vt3 etc.. ...but once I start an xserver on say vt7 I can't then switch back to a text console like vt2 or whatever.

I'm using Gentoo and XGL, but I think it's possibly an nvidia driver problem because I had the same problem using FC4/5 and standard X.

I'm using 1.0.8762 drivers and a 6600

Any help or info is gratefully received!

Cheers,

jcat
jcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-06, 02:53 PM   #2
rbachl

Default Re: Can't switch from xserver console vt7 to any text console

I am having the same problem with the same drivers under Gentoo, but I am using a GE6150 based graphics. The problem was discussed a few days ago on this forum in the thread "Ge6150: Switching back to console fails". While I thought initially that I have made something wrong with the configuration, I believe now that this is a driver problem. I have exhausted virtually every possibility for changing the configuration in grub.conf and xorg.conf, but the problem remains unsolved and nobody was able to come up with a solution so far. It seems I need to buy a new graphics card, but I just do not know which one is working well.....

It may be acceptable temporarily not to use the console until the driver is fixed, but I do not know when this is going to happen, if ever. It is a serious problem though that I cannot see any messages on shutdown.
rbachl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-06, 03:29 PM   #3
pe1chl

There could be a real problem, but it could also be that you use Alt-F1 Alt-F2 Alt-F7 and then expect to go back to 1 by using Alt-F1.
However, to go from X to a Text screen you must use Ctrl-Alt-F1 Ctrl-Alt-F2 etc.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-06, 09:49 AM   #4
jcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
There could be a real problem, but it could also be that you use Alt-F1 Alt-F2 Alt-F7 and then expect to go back to 1 by using Alt-F1.
However, to go from X to a Text screen you must use Ctrl-Alt-F1 Ctrl-Alt-F2 etc.
Yes, unfortunately that's what I'd doing. It just don't work!

Anyone else have any more intput here? Any work arounds?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

jcat
jcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-06, 12:30 PM   #5
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

@jcat: I've heard about this problem being caused by a change in X.org 7.0's keyboard handling, but I don't know the details. The section entitled "XKB doesn't work, I can't switch VTs, etc" in http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/deskto...ar-x-howto.xml might help. If all else fails, you can use the "chvt" command to switch to a console.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-06, 01:26 PM   #6
rbachl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
@jcat: I've heard about this problem being caused by a change in X.org 7.0's keyboard handling, but I don't know the details. The section entitled "XKB doesn't work, I can't switch VTs, etc" in http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/deskto...ar-x-howto.xml might help. If all else fails, you can use the "chvt" command to switch to a console.
Thank you for the suggestion. However, in my case it seems the driver does not switch from X display to any terminal, neither with CTRL-ALT-Fn nor with chvt. I am using X.org version 7.0.
rbachl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-06, 03:21 PM   #7
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Okay, if not even chvt works, then it's definitely some other problem. Please generate and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log. After running chvt, does X freeze, or does it continue to function normally?
Old 07-29-06, 01:14 PM   #8
kontagion

Same problem here... After upgrading to kernel 2.6.16 on Debian Ctrl+Alt+Fn started crashing kdm with:
Quote:
kdm[5311] X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly
I get a moments black screen in an attempt to switch modes followed by an X server reset (as if I had pressed Ctrl+Alt+Bksp). Doesn't matter if I'm logged on to X or not (meaning it holds true for the log on screen). Strangely it will go to a text terminal if Alt+N (Terminal login) is specified at log on.

I was using the same driver version prior to the kernel upgrade, there was no problem then.

My kernel is Debian's stock kernel 2.6.16-2-686-smp
Current nVidia driver: 1.0.8762
Graphics Card: Asus Extreme N6600 Silencer
kontagion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-06, 01:31 PM   #9
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

I think people are describing at least three different bugs in this thread:

@jcat: Ctrl-Alt-F1 does nothing, X continues to work. (Right?)
@rbachl: Ctrl-Alt-F1 works but the console is garbled.
@kontagion: Ctrl-Alt-F1 works but the X server crashes.

It would be useful if these were separate threads to keep the details straight.
Old 07-29-06, 04:52 PM   #10
Amaranth

For me I can hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 but I get a blank screen, hitting Alt-F7 takes me back to X just fine. I know the tty is really there because I can restart and such from it. I'm attaching my nvidia-bug-report.log. I know I'm using an unstable version of a distro and Xorg 7.1 but the problem was the exact same on Xorg 7.0 running Ubuntu 6.06.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (95.2 KB, 148 views)
Amaranth is offline   Reply With Quote