Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-23-06, 06:35 AM   #1
Seven of Nine

Default [FC5] Screen flickers under high load

This must be the most odd problem i've ever seen. Situation:
I'm running Fedora Core 5, on an Asus A7N8X-Deluxe with AMD Athlon 2800+ (barton). Inside is a nVidia Geforce FX 5600. The system is running Fedora Core 5. Hooked onto this PC is a monitor on DVI, and a TV on VGA. My X.org config is attached to this post. Installed are the latest official nVidia drivers, and all updates for Fedora are installed aswell. I'm not using AIGLX, just plain old X.org.
Now, when the computer is under high load for a period of time, the DVI monitor starts to stretch and destretch. Not so funny when participating in distributed.net, leaving the processor under constant high load. If I don't kill dnetc when the screen starts acting weird, it will start flickering (off for a while, then on again). Eventually the only thing that helps is killing the task that produces the load. The TV (VGA) remains to work correctly.
How comes, what can I do about this, and/or is this a bug in the drivers?
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (4.6 KB, 152 views)
Seven of Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 02:03 PM   #2
Seven of Nine

Default Re: [FC5] Screen flickers under high load

I am kinda sure that this really is a hardware/driver problem, as there appear to be no problems with the same screen on VNC. Who can help?
Seven of Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-06, 12:17 PM   #3
jwlkr

Default Re: [FC5] Screen flickers under high load

I have the same problem with an integrated Nvidia GEforce 6100. I think this has something to do with CPU switching frequencies ( I have an AMD 3500+). If I disable cpuspeed the flicker goes away. Let me know if you have clues as to why this happens.
-
thanks
HP

PS: I have another computer with an AMD4800+ processor and an NVDIA 7 series diaplay card. I don't see this problem on that computer.
jwlkr is offline   Reply With Quote