Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-30-06, 01:43 PM   #1
grittner

Default crash with OpenGL app on GeForce FX 5900

I use the Nvidia proprietary driver on an OpenSuSE 10.1 and run OpenGL based software like the game NWN or simply glxgears on it.

Besides the fact that I sometimes experience hangs in NWN and only a hard reset can recover the machine, there is another strange phenomenon.
I let run glxgears for about 20 or 30 minutes. While the application runs I can work with the machine. Then I close the glxgears window and the application stops. Shortly after that the machine freezes. The network is gone, so no ssh, and only a hard reset can recover the machine.

uname -a says:
Linux linux 2.6.16.21-0.13-default #1 Mon Jul 17 17:22:44 UTC 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The X-Server is an Xorg version 6.9.0.

The driver versions are 7182 or 8762, both have the same problem.
The mainboard is an MSI K8T800 Neo with Bios version 7.1.
There are no errors visible in /var/log/messages or dmesg.
I can't provide an nvidia log file for the problem, because the machine is unusable as soon as the fault occurs.

Any ideas what is going on here?

Regards,

Detlef Grittner
grittner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-06, 06:07 PM   #2
grittner

Default Re: crash with OpenGL app on GeForce FX 5900

It looks like a heat problem after all.

Although my system crashes far below from the 140 degree celsius, which the bios of the card allows for the core temperature. But over 80 degree celsius temperature on the GPU core my system always became unstable.
Well, I have disassembled my video card and removed lots of dust from it. Most likely the dust has prevented the ventilation. At the moment my system runs stable.

It must be due to the special layout of the card, maybe the location of the memory chips, why quitting an OpenGL app was able to crash the X-Server a few seconds later. But it correlated with the GPU core temperature.

The only thing the Nvidia driver guys could do about it: Maybe some temperature warning with user-defined values would be useful in this case. I think the vendor's default values are way too optimistic.

Regards,

Detlef
grittner is offline   Reply With Quote