Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-30-06, 08:42 PM   #1
StevenChamberla

Default Dumb glxgears query

This could be a silly question, but it's probably worth asking just on the off-chance...

How fast are the glxgears supposed to spin? Last time I remember using the program (some years ago), the gears would spin extremely quickly. But on this system they seem slow - the green gear takes over two seconds to rotate once. Has glxgears changed? Or is there a problem with my setup? The FPS is reported by glxgears as around 4000 FPS.

I am using the x86_64 'nvidia' driver (8762) with X.org, TwinView enabled, for an XFX 6600GT on 2.6.17 (but I have always seen the same thing on 2.6.16 and possibly 2.6.12). From /proc/driver/nvidia/registry it appears that NvAGP is set to '3', although I have it set to '0' in my xorg.conf (is this a problem in itself?).

Apart from that, graphics seem 'choppy'. Dragging any window around on the desktop is very jumpy. Maybe I am wrong about glxgears but I have a feeling something isn't right with my setup.

Thanks for any help,
--
Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org

Last edited by StevenChamberla; 07-30-06 at 08:54 PM.
StevenChamberla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-06, 11:37 PM   #2
cs-cam

Default Re: Dumb glxgears query

Can't comment on the rest of your query but since Xorg 7.0, the gears in glxgears spin at a specific (slow) speed so that isn't a problem
cs-cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-06, 03:28 AM   #3
Thunderbird

Your monitor can display lets say only 85 frames a second, so most frames aren't displayed. When the frames are taken at a 'bad' moment it can happen that the demo looks slow.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-06, 10:21 AM   #4
Lethe

It's a GOTCHA. I had the very same 'issue'. The bloody code was changed in xorg 6.9.0/7.0...

... read my thread here with the why's:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...3&postcount=20

Nick
Lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-06, 11:58 AM   #5
Thunderbird

He isn't using the updated glxgears. The updated one requires you to use '-iacknowledgetthatthistoolisnotabenchmark' switch in order to show the fps. He is using good old glxgears and the 'issue' are just the bad sample moments of the frames he sees.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-06, 02:34 PM   #6
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
He isn't using the updated glxgears. The updated one requires you to use '-iacknowledgetthatthistoolisnotabenchmark' switch in order to show the fps. He is using good old glxgears and the 'issue' are just the bad sample moments of the frames he sees.
There seem to be several versions of glxgears floating around. The version that Gentoo installs (upstream) seems to have neither the -iacknowledgethatthistoolisnotabenchmark option nor the constant speed patch. The version in the (deprecated) freedesktop.org CVS repository has the constant rate patch but no -iacknowledgethatthistoolisnotabenchmark. Debian and Ubuntu seem to have both.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote