Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-13-06, 06:11 AM   #1
cragwolf

Default Error parsing configuration file (nvidia-settings)

I have the v1.0-8178 driver and when I run the patched nvidia-settings utility, I get the following error:

Code:
ERROR: Error parsing configuration file '/home/cragwolf/.nvidia-settings-rc' on
       line 52: '' (Unrecognized attribute name).
But line 52 doesn't exist, or rather it's blank, and when I delete that blank line from .nvidia-settings-rc I get the following error:

Code:
ERROR: Error parsing configuration file '/home/cragwolf/.nvidia-settings-rc' on
       line 51: '0/XVideoBlitterSyncToVBlank=08' (Trailing garbage).
Attached is a copy of my .nvidia-settings-rc file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-settings-rc.txt (1.1 KB, 176 views)
cragwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-06, 12:13 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Error parsing configuration file (nvidia-settings)

You stated that you're using a 'patched' nvidia-settings? Which patch(es) did you apply? Does this problem reproduce with a non-patched version as well?

If you delete '/home/cragwolf/.nvidia-settings-rc' so that a new version is generated, does the problem persist?

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-06, 08:09 AM   #3
cragwolf

Yes, in my previous post I provided a link to the thread in which the patch was provided. Here it is again:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=63506

The patch is provided with the second post in that thread. I was getting a segmentation fault when I tried running nvidia-settings, so I searched here, found that thread, applied the patch, and no longer got a seg fault.

The parsing problem occurs with patched and non-patched versions. if I delete the rc file, the problem persists. Sometimes, although I can't seem to reproduce it regularly, if I add a few blank lines to the end of the rc file, save it, and then run the nvidia-settings program, I don't get any parsing error. But the next time I run it I will get a parsing error.

I found another thread where a user had this same problem, so it's not just me. S/he uses SUSE, I use Zenwalk, so it's not a distribution-specific thing.
Old 02-14-06, 10:21 AM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I just dropped your nvidia-settings-rc file onto a system here, and didn't have any problems running nvidia-settings.

Can you generate and post a bug report? Also, can you post the output from 'env'?

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 02-14-06, 05:59 PM   #5
cragwolf

Done. I added the output from 'env' to the nvidia-bug-report.log file. Anything else you want me to do just let me know.
Old 02-14-06, 06:15 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I don't see a bug report attached here.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 02-14-06, 09:48 PM   #7
cragwolf

I emailed it to linux-bugs@nvidia.com. But I'll attach it to this thread, too.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (91.1 KB, 144 views)
Old 02-15-06, 11:55 AM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm afraid that I'm still not able to reproduce this problem. I've tested your nvidia-settings-rc file on several different systems here, and in every case nvidia-settings starts without any fatal errors.

Is there anything unique about your environment?

Thanks,
Lonni

Old 02-15-06, 11:06 PM   #9
cragwolf

Nothing unique to my knowledge. I use the Zenwalk Linux distribution. I'll check out their forums and see if anyone is having the same problem.
Old 02-17-06, 12:34 AM   #10
cragwolf

Alright, I asked at the Zenwalk forum and nobody reported having this parsing config bug. But, I did some more experimentation and I found the following out:

If I run nvidia-settings from gnome-terminal, then my rc file gets corrupted. If I run nvidia-settings from a desktop menu (in my case, I'm using the XFCE desktop environment) or automatically on startup then my rc file does not get corrupted. Once the rc file has been corrupted, then there's nothing I can do to fix it: nvidia-settings will always report a parsing config error, whether or not I run it from gnome-terminal. The only solution is to delete the rc file, and then run the nvidia-settings utility from the desktop menu; and make sure never to run it from gnome-terminal.

So the next question is does a different xterminal utility produce the same behavious as gnome-terminal? I just tested it on aterm. nvidia-settings does not report any bugs when I run it from aterm. I just tried it with xterm: again no problem.

So it seems the incompatibility is with gnome-terminal and nvidia-settings, at least on my system. Now I don't have all the gnome packages installed on my system (like I said, I run XFCE only), so it may be that I'm missing some files, and this is causing the parsing problems. Well, at least I know a workaround, so that'll do for me.
Old 02-17-06, 01:15 PM   #11
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I've tested this again with gnome-terminal, and was still unable to reproduce the problem. I was using gnome-terminal-2.10.0 with a default configuration.

-Lonni
Old 08-01-06, 07:49 PM   #12
koke

EDITED: Sorry, this "solution" is not for the "trailing garbage" of this thread, I was too quick in replying. I'll leave the original post for netllama anyway.

==============================================
I have that problem too. This thread shows that it is related to locale settings http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=70939

I'm running the below script to call nvidia-settings. It just changes the dots that the program writes for the commas it needs when it reads the rc file.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# nvset: make happy nvidia-settings with commas

rcfile="$HOME/.nvidia-settings-rc"
cat "$rcfile" | sed s/\\./,/ | sed s/,nvidia/\\.nvidia/ > "$rcfile"
nvidia-settings "$@" &

exit
Regards.

Last edited by koke; 08-01-06 at 08:09 PM.
koke is offline   Reply With Quote