Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-03-06, 04:30 PM   #1
solid7
Linux Super Newbie

Default Nvidia Xconfig difficulties

Hello. This is my first, I am a genuine Linux newbie. My platform is Red Hat Enterprise 3.

I tried to install drivers for my NVidia Quadro FX3000 graphics adaptor. However, I cannot get the shell script to execute, even after changin the boot mode from 5 to 3, and following all the instructions per this forum, and the Nvidia website. So I decided to download the X config installer. Now, my problem is, I can't find any instructions for this utility.

Can someone provide me a link for the instructions, or at least tell me where to extract the files to?

Thank you in advance.
solid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 06:24 PM   #2
jhookcs

Default Re: Nvidia Xconfig difficulties

solid7,

Here is a link to nvidias readme for xconfig.
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...hapter-03.html
Actually it is part of a 'howto' guide, so you may find more info that you need within its contents.

-jhookcs
jhookcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 07:12 PM   #3
solid7
Linux Super Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhookcs
solid7,

Here is a link to nvidias readme for xconfig.
http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...hapter-03.html
Actually it is part of a 'howto' guide, so you may find more info that you need within its contents.

-jhookcs

Thanks for that. The problem is, before I can use the tool, I have to actually be able to open it. Yes, I'm that dense...

I have no idea where to extract the folders to, and I don't see any instructions from Nvidia on this.

Thanks again for your reply.
Old 08-03-06, 07:16 PM   #4
chunkey
#!/?*

either you set the "x" (for eXecute) permission, or add a "sh" in front of the
shell script...
chunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-06, 10:23 PM   #5
solid7
Linux Super Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkey
either you set the "x" (for eXecute) permission, or add a "sh" in front of the
shell script...
I'm sorry - I just don't know which one it is. Again, where do I extract the files to? And second, the file says to run "nvidia-xconfig". There is nothing called "nvidia-xconfig" in the package. There is "nvidia-xconfig.c", "nvidia-xconfig.h", and one other. (can't remember) I tried entering "sh nvidia-xconfig", but it didn't do a thing.

I'm not kidding when I say that I'm new at this...
Old 08-04-06, 04:03 AM   #6
chunkey
#!/?*

Quote:
Originally Posted by solid7
I'm sorry - I just don't know which one it is. Again, where do I extract the files to? And second, the file says to run "nvidia-xconfig". There is nothing called "nvidia-xconfig" in the package. There is "nvidia-xconfig.c", "nvidia-xconfig.h", and one other. (can't remember) I tried entering "sh nvidia-xconfig", but it didn't do a thing.
Well, nvidia-xconfig.c and nvidia-xconfig.h are C source files. But, it isn't necessary to compile them by hand, because nvidia-xconfig comes with the driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run
(or if you have a AMD64/EM64T Distribution get this one instead: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8762-pkg2.run).

Are you sure you installed successfully "one" of these?
chunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 09:53 AM   #7
solid7
Linux Super Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkey
Well, nvidia-xconfig.c and nvidia-xconfig.h are C source files. But, it isn't necessary to compile them by hand, because nvidia-xconfig comes with the driver NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run
(or if you have a AMD64/EM64T Distribution get this one instead: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8762-pkg2.run).

Are you sure you installed successfully "one" of these?
I thought that the xconfig was supposed to be installed FIRST, to configure the X server to be able to run the driver installer....

I tried going through the instructions, to get it to work by manually configuring, but with no luck. I guess I just don't understand something.

I keep getting x server errors.
Old 08-04-06, 09:55 AM   #8
solid7
Linux Super Newbie

I guess in all of this, my question keeps gettin avoided - WHERE do I extract the files to?

Once I have extracted them, what is my next step?

Again, Red Hat Linux Enteprise 3....

Old 08-04-06, 10:54 AM   #9
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

There is nothing that you need to extract. You run the driver installer, and it performs the build & installation of everything for you.

Just run "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run" as root, and it will become clear.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 11:15 AM   #10
solid7
Linux Super Newbie

OKay, from the top...

Here is where I am going to get the downloads:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-8762.html

Quote:
STEP 3: Install
Type "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8762-pkg2.run" to install the driver. NVIDIA now provides a utility to assist you with configuration of your X config file. Please see Chapter 3 of the README or run 'man nvidia-xconfig' for details on usage. Instructions for those wishing to edit their X config file by hand can also be found in the README.
Please note: Where I bolded the "X config" in the above quote, there is a link to download the utility for the x config file. It is this:

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/n...fig-1.0.tar.gz

Being that it's a tar.gz file, I'm pretty sure that there is some extraction that needs to take place there. (hence the question, "where do I extract the files to?")

I opted to try the utility, because I was unable, and altogether unsuccessful in attempting to edit the x config file manually. Running the driver installer without editing the x config file leads to X server errors.

Does this make my issue any clearer?

Thank you.
Old 08-04-06, 11:19 AM   #11
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

nvidia-xconfig ships with the driver package. If you install the driver package, you'll get nvidia-xconfig automatically in your $PATH. This is all covered in the driver README.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 01:49 PM   #12
solid7
Linux Super Newbie

OK, so I got it to install. The only problem is, I don't see the driver in the list!

My card is an Nvidia Quadro FX3000. The device manager defaults to Nvidia FX (generic) with a memory value of 8 MB. I cannot adjust the resolution of my screen - rather I can, but it does no good.