Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-12-03, 02:38 AM   #1
fresk

Default When XVideo will be fully supported for TNT/Geforce Drivers

I'm interested about XVideo support in XFree86 NVidia TNT/Geforce driver. Is there any work in progress - is there any chance, that XVideo will be supported under XFree86 in near future?
Old 02-12-03, 07:48 AM   #2
bwkaz

I was under the impression it worked just fine, especially considering that mplayer's -vo xv (XVideo video output plugin) works wonderfully...

Where did you see that it doesn't work?
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-03, 09:36 AM   #3
fresk

Default That's strange

That's really suprising, maybe I have some XFree86 configuration problem?

I tried to use XVideo extension on my computer, and it didn't work. I have NVidia Riva TNT2 and I use 4191 version of the
kernel-xfree driver combo. I use XFree 4.2.99.3 cvs snapshot, and
Linux 2.4.20 kernel. I've compiled both nvidia drivers myself. Everything, but xv, works fine (-vo gl -vo gl2 in MPlayer uses hardware acceleration), and I'm pretty sure, that I'm using drivers, I've compiled (I get this nvidia logo during xfree startup).
When I run xvinfo, I get 'no Xvideo extension found' or similiar info(I don't remember right now).

Any ideas why?
Old 02-12-03, 11:27 AM   #4
bwkaz

Try using a non-beta version of X. 4.2.99.anything is a prerelease, and may not work well. I use XFree86 4.2.0 personally, but 4.2.1 should work as well.

It could also be the fact that you have a TNT card. I know they don't support everything that XVideo has to offer (XV_BRIGHTNESS for one). However, I do remember someone getting it to at least work (sans XV_BRIGHTNESS) on some sort of TNT card, so I don't think that's it...

Is there anything in your log file (/var/log/XFree86.0.log) about XVideo being disabled for some reason? Are you loading "extmod" in your Modules section? (SubSection "extmod" ... EndSubSection works too, if you have that rather than Load "extmod". FYI.)

Maybe dropping back to 3123 would help a little?

Which distro and version is this, BTW?
Old 02-12-03, 01:19 PM   #5
fresk

Default You were right

It was a mistake, I forgot to load extmod module (all the time I was pretty sure,
that there was 'Load ...' line in my config file ).

Sorry for talking nonsense about nvidia drivers. They work just great, at least MPlayer looks satisfied with XVideo mode. Thanks for your help.

Oh, just to answer your questions.
I'm using PLD (Polished Linux Distribution, a distribution developed mainly on my University in Warsaw), but the XFree86 comes directly from the XFree86.org, and I must say it works preety stable for me (I use it on my laptop (with Intel I830M video card, which isn't supported by earlier versions of Xwindows) too. By pretty stable I mean that it hangs sometimes, when I'm using new Intel I830M driver, and framebuffer at the same time and I'm trying to switch to text console. So unless you're using strange hardware you can work on it safely. Besides, this version has many useful improvements over 4.2.1, but that's not the subject of this newsgroup.

Once more, thanks for your help.
Old 02-12-03, 02:18 PM   #6
bwkaz

Hmm. Interesting... Well, glad that it works for you!
Old 02-13-03, 02:22 AM   #7
f00000

Quote:
Originally posted by bwkaz

It could also be the fact that you have a TNT card. I know they don't support everything that XVideo has to offer (XV_BRIGHTNESS for one). However, I do remember someone getting it to at least work (sans XV_BRIGHTNESS) on some sort of TNT card, so I don't think that's it...

[/b]
can you provide a link or more information on that. XV is really dark on my computer.
Old 02-13-03, 07:44 AM   #8
bwkaz

The thread is here:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...=XV_BRIGHTNESS

Although it doesn't have much more than just a fix for mplayer for when XV_BRIGHTNESS doesn't work, so if you aren't using mplayer, that probably won't work for you...