Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-11-06, 03:17 AM   #1
Soluzar

Default Strange problems with FX5700.

I've had my FX 5700 for quite a while now, but it's still all that I require in the way of a graphics card. My usage of the computer is far from graphically intensive, and so I am quite reluctant to replace the current card.

However, I've been having problems with it for a while now. The problems used to manifest themselves with frequent lockups. I posted on this forum, and was advised to fall back to a previous driver version, which I did. That didn't seem to solve any of my problems, but when I reduced the level of hardware accelleration, in Display Properties, I was able to gain a measure of stability.

Since then, I get much less frequent lockups, but I do get occasional errors in the display, which manifest themselves as a checkered pattern of green and pink squares overlayed on my display. It still locks up about once every couple of days, though, and I'm wondering if there could be any other reason for this than a faulty card.

I'm sure the best thing to do would be just to bite the bullet and replace it, but nVidia seem to have moved on beyond the AGP slot. Could anyone tell me what card would be a good match for what I currently have? I don't need anything a great deal better. I'm not sure if it's OK to say this, but ATI seem to have the more suitable cards for me in my preferred price range. I'm not looking to pay any more than a hundred.
Soluzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-06, 12:47 PM   #2
Daneel Olivaw
Northwood hugger

Default Re: Strange problems with FX5700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soluzar
which manifest themselves as a checkered pattern of green and pink squares overlayed on my display. It still locks up about once every couple of days,
= Faulty video card memory

A Geforce6 6200 would be of equal speed (about) and better features than your 5700 and can be found cheap in agp (<80$)

Mild agnosticism —the view that the existence or nonexistence of God or gods is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgment until/if more evidence is available. A weak agnostic would say "I don't know, but maybe you do."
Daneel Olivaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-06, 01:59 PM   #3
Soluzar

Default Re: Strange problems with FX5700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneel Olivaw
= Faulty video card memory
Aye well, it's better to know. What's been scaring me the most is the prospect that I might replace my video card only to discover that I'd not fixed the problem. I'm not looking to spend a lot on this PC right at the moment. Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
A Geforce6 6200 would be of equal speed (about) and better features than your 5700 and can be found cheap in agp (<80$)
Thank you, that sounds like a very nice price to replace what I currently have. I'm getting from the "(about)" that it's a little slower, but I don't think I'll notice it too much. I don't game.
Soluzar is offline   Reply With Quote