Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-13-03, 02:05 AM   #1
E079561

Send a message via AIM to E079561 Send a message via Yahoo to E079561
Default SuSE 8.0 compile problems

I have an new box running SuSE 8.0; it has an MSI K7N2G motherboard with integrated NVIDIA nforce lan and audio chipsets.

I download the nforce 1.0-0248 tar driver set and tried to compile on the box. After much gnashing of teeth and reading the posts on the board, I got the drivers to compile and install. The LAN driver seems to load OK on boot; I get no joy with th audio driver.

When try to insmod nvaudio module I get:

insmod nvaudio
/lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o: unresolved symbol ac97_probe_codec
/lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o: unresolved symbol unregister_sound_dsp
/lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o: unresolved symbol register_sound_dsp
/lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o: unresolved symbol register_sound_mixer
/lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o: unresolved symbol unregister_sound_mixer
/lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o: unresolved symbol ac97_set_dac_rate
/lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o: unresolved symbol ac97_set_adc_rate

The kernel sources from SuSE are installed from the SuSE ftp site along with the default kernel. I haven't gotten any other symbol errors when compiling and installing other kernel modules. Anyone know why these come up?

I tried installing the rpm packaes for SuSE 8.0 for v. 1.0-0241 and v. 1.0-0236; neither of those would load the nvnet and nvaudio modules either wwithout lots of errors that I am too lazy to capture and append here.

Any help getting this resolved so I can have sound under Linux would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I've been waiting for several days for someone from Nvidia to respond to my email to the linux-nforce-bugs@nvidia.com address about this problem. Is anyone at home there? Does anyone care that their drivers don't work?
E079561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-03, 09:02 PM   #2
E079561

Send a message via AIM to E079561 Send a message via Yahoo to E079561

I got the sound to work finally by inserting "modprobe nvaudio" into the /etc/init.d/boot.local file. That loaded nvaudio and the other sound modules and I got sound working under X.

Curiously, YAST still doesn't recognize that a sound card is installed.

Also, inserting "alias sound-slot-1 nvaudio" into /etc/modules.conf wouldn't load nvaudio or the other sound modules into the kernel on boot. The solution above was the only I found that would install the modules on boot and get sound working under X.
E079561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-03, 04:42 AM   #3
Faramir

Hi,

although I've no idea of Linux internas, I will happily try the mentioned "modprobe nvaudio" into the /etc/init.d/boot.local file.
Because my Epox 8RDA+ board (also with Nforce2 chipset) won't play any sound so far, with Suse Linux 8.2 that is.
Of course I installed Nvidia's Linux driver for the chipset. Then the onboard LAN does work (which didn't without the driver). But sound doesn't.

Well, I'll report if it does the sound trick for me, too.
Faramir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-03, 05:07 PM   #4
ashmodaii

Default -falign-functions=4

I'm too trying to install the src.rpm on a SUSE 8.0 and MSI K7N2G combo.
However, after trying
#rpm --rebuild NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0248.src.rpm

I get an error message telling me "Invalid option '-falign-functions=4'

So, following advice from somewhere else on the net, I then change "falign" to "malign" by doing the following:

su
cd /usr/src/packages/BUILD/nvidia/nvnet/
chmod 777 Makefile
vi Makefile

I then change falign to malign
Save and quit vi

I even vi Makefile again to make sure it saved the changes

Then:

cd /home /[username] \\Dir where I keep the src.rpm file
rpm --rebuild NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0248.src.rpm

Only to get the same error again

Could you please tell me what is that I'm doing wrong?

I'm fairly new to Linux, and this is the first time I have to fiddle with drivers. Suse recognised my previous MOBO without any fuss, but it's time to move on.

Thanks a lot
ashmodaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-03, 06:32 PM   #5
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Quote:
insmod nvaudio
/lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o: unresolved symbol ac97_probe_codec
/lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o: unresolved symbol unregister_sound_dsp
/lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o: unresolved symbol register_sound_dsp
/lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o: unresolved symbol register_sound_mixer
/lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o: unresolved symbol unregister_sound_mixer
/lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o: unresolved symbol ac97_set_dac_rate
/lib/modules/2.4.18-4GB/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o: unresolved symbol ac97_set_adc_rate
The sound module depends on soundcore and ac97_codec - using insmod won't satisfy those dependencies; modprobe will.

You should be able to autoload the driver with

Code:
alias sound-slot-0 nvaudio
in your /etc/modules.conf.

--andy
Old 04-03-03, 06:34 PM   #6
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Quote:
su
cd /usr/src/packages/BUILD/nvidia/nvnet/
chmod 777 Makefile
vi Makefile

I then change falign to malign
Save and quit vi

I even vi Makefile again to make sure it saved the changes

Then:

cd /home /[username] \\Dir where I keep the src.rpm file
rpm --rebuild NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0248.src.rpm

Only to get the same error again

Could you please tell me what is that I'm doing wrong?
Rebuilding the SRPM is overwriting the changes you made. It's probably best to grab the tarball and use that. You'll want to do the following:

Code:
 cd /to/where/you/put/NVIDIA-nforce-1.0-0248.tar.gz
tar xzvf NVIDIA-nforce-1.0-0248.tar.gz
cd nforce
cd nvaudio
*edit the Makefile to change -falign to -malign*
make; make install
The Makefile issue will be fixed in the next version of the driver.

--andy