Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-13-06, 07:05 PM   #1
tool

Default Problems with Fedora Core 3 and network control device

A couple days ago I created a duel computer. I used two different hard drives, one, the master, runs Windows XP and the other, slave, runs Linux. I installed Fedora Core 3 as the linux distribution I selected. The installation went well until I tried to connect to the internet.

At the time of installation I did not have my computer hooked up to the net and so I bypassed that section. Now that I do have my internet hooked up through a D-Link DI-624 router (hard-wired) I decided I would configure linux to run online. I opened the network manager through applications in the GUI. Linux didn't detect that I had an ethernet card and wanted me to select which one I had through a list it provided. I was not sure which one I had so I rebooted into Windows and in the Device Manager it says that I have an NVIDIA nForcer Network Controller under network Adapters and that I have an Agere Systems PCI-SV92PP Soft Modem. Neither of these were in the this that linux provided.

I have two questions. One how do I know for sure what my ethernet card (the one it gave under network adapters seemed vague) is? Secondly how do i update the drivers in linux (if that's the problem) and configure it for online use?

Thank you.
tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-06, 07:21 PM   #2
a12ctic

Default Re: Problems with Fedora Core 3 and network control device

your network card is probobly the one intergrated into nforce from what youve said so far, fedora core 3 doesnt have very good hardware support, id suggest trying ubuntu 6.06

btw wrong thread, theres a seperate thread for linux
Old 08-13-06, 08:57 PM   #3
Bman212121

Do you know what motherboard you have? That would help out a lot to know what nic's are on it. I'm sure you can probably find drivers, althought it will be a learning experience to get them working.

You may also want to try using FC4 or 5, because chances are it has the drivers built in. (I'm pretty sure 4 & up have nforce network drivers.)
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-06, 12:44 AM   #4
tool

Thank you very much and sorry about the thread problem I didn't know was a seperate one.

I am not sure if this is the motherboard, but it looks an AMD Sempron Processor 3200+.

If I download an ISO file for fedora core 5 can I just burn it to a DVD and then boot from a CD/DVD drive as I did before when I installed fedora core 3?
Old 08-14-06, 08:41 AM   #5
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool
Thank you very much and sorry about the thread problem I didn't know was a seperate one.

I am not sure if this is the motherboard, but it looks an AMD Sempron Processor 3200+.

If I download an ISO file for fedora core 5 can I just burn it to a DVD and then boot from a CD/DVD drive as I did before when I installed fedora core 3?
Yes you can dl and burn it just like the one for FC3.

"AMD Sempron Processor 3200+" Nope, that's the CPU.
Old 08-14-06, 09:41 AM   #6
tool

Alright thank you, how do I find out what motherboard I have?

Also I am using Mozilla Firefox to download the ISO file of Fedora Core 5 and it says in the download screen that the file is unknown size, but the website says it's 3.2 GB. Will Firefox just say it's done when the file download is complete?
Old 08-14-06, 10:20 PM   #7
tool

I downloaded the ISO file for Fedora Core 5 and I burned it to a DVD as a bootable data disc and when I booted from the DVD/CD drive it stalled for a little while and a white line flashed at the top of my screen for about one minute and then it booted into Fedora Core 3 which was already installed on one of my hard drives.

Is there anyway I would be able to find the drivers for the Fedora Core 3 kernel and install them? If so could you please give me a link that can direct me to them.
Old 08-16-06, 10:10 PM   #8
Bman212121

Hmm, this is were my Linux skillz are th3 suck0rs.

Your going to need to get this file: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0310.html

download the NFORCE file and follow the steps. Since were talking about Linux, I can almost guarentee you it's not gonna be as easy as 5 steps. If you look in the forum, you can probably get some more help with trying to get the drivers working.

I'm not sure what was going on with the FC5 install, I'm guessing it never started the install, otherwise the bootloader should have been toast. Did you try an upgrade or just a new install?

Also, if a MOD could move this into the Linux section, there might be some other people that could help you out more.