Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-16-06, 06:56 PM   #13
JaXXoN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Munich
Posts: 910
Default Re: no nvidia on realtime kernel CCRMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by martindupras
However I can no longer use my laptop's native resolution of 1440x900, the best I can get is 1024x768.
From the Xorg.conf file in your second post, it seems that you
are using the open source 2D "nv" driver that comes with
FC5 rather then the 3D "nvidia" driver that you need to install
seperatly. Please check the following URLs:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490

I assume you didn't installed this 3D driver - but then i wonder
how installing the nvidia kernel module, only, could influence the
2D OSS driver ...

If you have the 3D nvidia driver installed, then i suggest creating
a full "nvidia-bug-report.log" by typing "nvidia-bug-report.sh" as root,
zip it and post it as attachement.

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-06, 07:04 PM   #14
JaXXoN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Munich
Posts: 910
Default Re: no nvidia on realtime kernel CCRMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by menno
[root@localhost nv]# make SYSSRC=/usr/src/kernels/2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrmasmp-i686 install
If you are using a Linux 2.4 kernel, please make sure
[...]
*** Unable to determine the target kernel version. ***
Seems that the kernel-devel package for ccrmasmp is not installed,
or the path given above is wrong - i just typed it how the convention
would dictate it, because i couldn't find the ccrmasmp package, only
that one for uni-processors. Can you please provide a download link?

Just to be sure, please post the output of the following commands:

* rpm -qa | grep kernel
* ls -al /lib/modules
* ls -al /usr/src/kernels

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 06:38 AM   #15
menno
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15
Default Re: no nvidia on realtime kernel CCRMA

i found a kernel-devel package for smp, it's another one then i've used so far. I found it at:
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrm...fc5.ccrma.html

i assume it is the right one. (my earlier attempt was with kernel-devel-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrma.i686 so not the smp-version)
As root i did:
[root@localhost downloads]# rpm -Uvh kernel-smp-devel-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrma.i686.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
/usr/sbin/hardlink is needed by kernel-smp-devel-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrma.i686

so it stops here at the moment. Is this the right way to go?.

the other info you requested:
[root@localhost downloads]# rpm -qa | grep kernel
kernel-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrma
kernel-module-alsa-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrmasmp-1.0.11-1.rhfc5.ccrma
kernel-smp-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrma
kernel-module-alsa-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrma-1.0.11-1.rhfc5.ccrma
kernel-smp-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5

[root@localhost downloads]# ls -al /lib/modules
totaal 64
drwxr-xr-x 8 root root 4096 aug 16 22:12 .
drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 4096 aug 12 10:58 ..
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 aug 16 21:43 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 aug 16 22:12 2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrma
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 aug 16 22:12 2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrmasmp
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 aug 13 00:44 2.6.16-1.2080_FC5smp
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 aug 13 00:02 2.6.17-1.2157_FC5smp
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 aug 16 21:42 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp

[root@localhost downloads]# ls -al /usr/src/kernels
totaal 16
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 aug 16 21:43 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 aug 15 20:11 ..
menno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 07:29 AM   #16
martindupras
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4
Default Re: no nvidia on realtime kernel CCRMA

Hi Bernhard,
I had another go with the nvidia driver, and it fails to start.
I just tried to port the nvidia bug report and it is apparently 3 times too big for posting here. What part would you like? Or would you like me to mail it to you? The Xorg log is also too long to post completely.
Cheers.
- martin
martindupras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 07:54 AM   #17
martindupras
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4
Default Re: no nvidia on realtime kernel CCRMA

Hi Bernhard,
I can't post the nvidia bug report or Xorg logs in their entirety on here (too many characters.) Would you like specific portions, or would you like me to mail them to you?
Many thanks for your help, much appreciated!
- martin
martindupras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 09:33 AM   #18
JaXXoN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Munich
Posts: 910
Default Re: no nvidia on realtime kernel CCRMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by menno
/usr/sbin/hardlink is needed by kernel-smp-devel-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrma.i686
You need to install the "hardlink" package:

Code:
yum install hardlink

Here is a straight forward installation instruction:

1. Boot your system with a standard FC5 kernel (i.e. 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp).
Make sure that the 3D nvidia driver is installed and working.

2. Cleanup your system:

a. I suggest uninstalling all ccrma kernels, to make sure you
can savly follow the instructions below.

Code:
rpm -e kernel-module-alsa-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrmasmp-1.0.11-1.rhfc5.ccrma
rpm -e kernel-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrma
rpm -e kernel-module-alsa-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrma-1.0.11-1.rhfc5.ccrma
rpm -e kernel-smp-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrma
b. Delete left-overs in the module directory:

Code:
rm -rf /lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrma
rm -rf /lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrmasmp
c. Delete the unpacked (and patched) nvidia directory.

Code:
rm -rf NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1
3. Install the hardlink package:

Code:
yum install hardlink
4. Install the ccrmasmp kernel packages:

Code:
rpm -i --force kernel-smp-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrma.i686.rpm
rpm -i --force kernel-smp-devel-2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrma.i686.rpm
5. Install the nvidia kernel module:

Code:
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run --extract-only
cd NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1/usr/src/nv
patch -p1 < ../../../../patch-nv-1.0-8762-rt.txt
make SYSSRC=/usr/src/kernels/2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrmasmp-i686 install
depmod -a 2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrmasmp
6. Reboot (ccrmasmp will be the default kernel).

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 09:37 AM   #19
JaXXoN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Munich
Posts: 910
Default Re: no nvidia on realtime kernel CCRMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by martindupras
Hi Bernhard,
I can't post the nvidia bug report or Xorg logs in their entirety on here (too many characters.)
Please compress the bug report:

Code:
zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip nvidia-bug-report.log
Then attach the zip file to your post by clicking the "Manage
Attachments" button below in the "Additional Options" box.

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-06, 09:01 AM   #20
menno
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15
Default Re: no nvidia on realtime kernel CCRMA

hello Bernard,
it's getting weirder and weirder. I did:

yum install hardlink

that's done!
Then you say:
1. Boot your system with a standard FC5 kernel (i.e. 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5smp).
Make sure that the 3D nvidia driver is installed and working.

For this reason i found kernel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.src.rpm at http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=107961
and tried to install it:

[root@localhost downloads]# rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.src.rpm
1:kernel ########################################### [100%]
[root@localhost downloads]#

also i installed: kernel-smp-devel-2.6.15-1.2054_FC5.i686.rpm
Then i reboot, selinux=0 and /sbin/init 3 and the driver is building.
But i get an error. Please see the attachment

Oh yes, have a nice weekend.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (23.5 KB, 106 views)
menno is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-06, 09:25 AM   #21
JaXXoN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Munich
Posts: 910
Default Re: no nvidia on realtime kernel CCRMA

Hi menno!

Please note that you need to update the kernel - the nvidia
driver will not work with the stock FC5 kernel. For details
please refer to:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66690
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66795

This should do it:

Code:
yum update kernel-smp kernel-smp-devel
When using a non-rt kernel, please make sure to run the
installation script from a non-"rt patched" nvidia driver tree
(in theory should work with a patched tree as well, but IIRC,
i never tested it).

Also, please make sure that you have certain packages
installed as suggested at
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490

Code:
yum install xorg-x11-server-sdk pkgconfig
regards

Bernhard


P.S: for recent kernels, you also need to update the
compiler - otherwise building the nvidia driver will fail again:

Code:
yum update gcc

Last edited by JaXXoN; 08-18-06 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Added note on compiler update
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-06, 09:14 AM   #22
menno
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15
Default Re: no nvidia on realtime kernel CCRMA

hello Bernard,

i upgraded my system (Pentium 4) to 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5smp. The nvidiadrivers and twinview is working ok after using the driverinstall from Livna.
Removed all rtkernels like you told me to. Installed hardlink force-installed the rtkernel and devel for my smp-system and tried to patch patch-nv-1.0-8762-rt.txt
and there i got an error.

Please have a look at the attachment.
greetings
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-installer.txt (16.0 KB, 116 views)
menno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-06, 11:38 AM   #23
JaXXoN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Munich
Posts: 910
Default Re: no nvidia on realtime kernel CCRMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by menno
The nvidiadrivers and twinview is working ok after using the driverinstall from Livna.
From what i understand, you installed rpm packages from livna,
but you try to patch and install the "source" driver from
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8174-pkg1.run?

Mixing the livna Xorg nvidia driver with binaries from the nvidia
packages probably works as long as you make sure they are the
same version (1.0-8174 in this case).

However, please note that the rt-patch was done for the nvidia
driver version 1.0-8762 and you got a reject while patching the
glue sources of version 1.0-8174.

I guess you are using the older driver because you have "legacy"
hardware that isn't any more supported by 1.0-8762? If this is the
case, then please drop me a note and i may try to provide an patch
for the older driver (untested, because i don't have old hardware
and my GPUs are too new for the old driver, i guess).
Otherwise is recommend updating to 1.0-8762.

regards

Bernhard

Last edited by JaXXoN; 08-22-06 at 11:52 AM. Reason: replaced "xen" by "rt"
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-06, 07:05 AM   #24
menno
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15
Default Re: no nvidia on realtime kernel CCRMA

Hello Bernard

It is working!
I have now 2.6.16-1.2080.16.rrt.rhfc5.ccrmasmp AND Nvidiadrivers working. I'm running in twinview and am very content, certainly with the support you gave all the time! Thank you.

The reason i had used the 1.0-8174-version in stead if the newer 1.0-8174 was not intended and a bit stupid. After all the tries i decided to go back to a backup i had made 10 days ago, just before this adventure of getting the realtime kernel and nvidia-twinview. Just to restart freshly. In the backup there was that older version of the Nvidiapackage in my /home and didn't notice it and used just that. Now ive used the latest version.

I'll go working with the realtimekernel now and maybe this whole story may be helpfull to other people that like to install nvidiadrivers with the realtimekernel.
You've been very helpfull and i thank you for your patience.

goodbye (and maybe till the next version of a realtime kernel??)
menno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corrupted display - 302.17 - Dell Precision T3500 (G98 [Quadro NVS 295]) gbailey NVIDIA Linux 1 06-27-12 10:24 AM
UEFI+Nvidia - NVRM: Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA console... interzoneuk NVIDIA Linux 0 06-26-12 04:51 AM
xorg locks-up with newest nvidia drivers w/ vdpau. theroot NVIDIA Linux 1 06-24-12 11:04 AM
Crash when logout from X TGL NVIDIA Linux 10 09-13-02 08:22 PM
NVIDIA kernel not loading on boot-up, but insmod loads it Kyle NVIDIA Linux 3 09-10-02 12:01 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.