Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-15-06, 10:38 PM   #1
joerg.sigle

Default unable to compile 7676 against linux 2.6.18, but no DGA in 8174 ... 8181 ... 8762

Hello!

Tried this for some hours, and did some research in the WWW, too - but I still have this unsolved problem (on Debian testing, Xorg 7.0.0, Linux 2.6.18-rc4).

I need DGA support on an nvidia card to let an old version of vmware run in fast+full screen mode. A current vmware release cannot do the job (tried it, but my virtual disk image is too old for plain migration).

I found out that version 7676 is the last driver that has DGA support - for never drivers, /var/log/Xorg.0.log says DGA is initialised, but only a very partial subset works.

But after I upgraded to linux kernel 2.6.18-rc4, I can't compile nvidia driver 7676 any more. So no chance to get 2.6.18 (or any 8762 improvements) *and* DGA support at the same time.

I managed to compile version 8762 under 2.6.18-rc4, after applying several patches and some manual editing to compensate for the move of UTS_RELEASE from /include/linux/version.h to utsrelease.h, and I managed to use even version 8181 after applying a patch made for 2.6.16 plus the most recent patch found for 8762. So I could learn learn that while the 8181 README file has retained DGA support, the driver itself has not :-(

I may now go on trying to get 7676 to compile under kernel 2.6.18, but I wonder whether anyone managed to do that before, or whether anyone knows it's theoretically completely impossible (my error messages during compilation vary, so I'll send them upon request).

I'd be happiest, if nvidia might put real DGA support back into newer drivers (I've read about the reasons to take it out, but maybe a switchable option would be feasible).

The problem will get worse when I'll be moving my complete main working environment to my new machine. I had the idea I'd keep my environments compatible when I bought a new nvidia card for it, but it will definitely need the 8762 drivers, and at the same time, I'll need the same vmware, and thus, DGA there... so more entertainment.

Oh, by the way: Is there any central location from where I could get/review all patches that allow me to compile "driver x" against "much newer kernel y" easily?

Thanks for any feedback in advance, Joerg
joerg.sigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 11:21 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: unable to compile 7676 against linux 2.6.18, but no DGA in 8174 ... 8181 ... 8762

There are no plans to reintroduce DGA support in the nvidia X driver. I'm not sure which version of VMWare you're using, however DGA support was removed several versions ago, so I'd suggest upgrading to a more recent version of VMWare.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-06, 01:28 AM   #3
joerg.sigle

Default Re: solved: unable to compile 7676 under linux 2.6.18, no DGA in 8174 ... 8762

Hi, Lonni.

Thank you very much for your quick reply.

I'm coming from vmware 2.04, and current vmwares cannot use/convert the "ancient" disk image. So I will have to use old vmware until I have more time.

However (and this is for others who might need DGA), in the meantime, I've tweaked around with version enough 7676 to get it compiled and running under Linux 2.6.18-rc4 :-)

I'm using this at the moment; old vmware works in full screen mode again, and at least on this old machine, I can switch between 8762 and 7676 depending on which driver I need. This temporarily solves my problem.

If anyone else wants nvidia w/ DGA in a 2.6.18 kernel, please leave a note, then I'll publish the required info (not beautiful, but working).

Once again, thank you for your very fast response, though.

Best wishes, Joerg
Old 08-24-06, 09:55 PM   #4
gauauu

Default Re: unable to compile 7676 against linux 2.6.18, but no DGA in 8174 ... 8181 ... 8762

I do need to get DGA working, and I also have the problems with 7676 not building correctly. Can you post what you needed to do to solve it?

Thanks!

Nathan
gauauu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 07:04 PM   #5
joerg.sigle

Default Re: unable to compile 7676 against linux 2.6.18, but no DGA in 8174 ... 8181 ... 876

Hi, Nathan.

Here are my notes I made during the process:

unpacking 7676
applying patch made for 8181 / for kernel 2.6.16 (as far as possible)
applying patch made for 8762 *U...* / for kernel above 2.6.16 (as far as possible)

adding to nvlinux.h:
/*joerg sigle added this*/
#include <linux/utsname.h>
#include <linux/utsrelease.h>

manually modifying conftest.sh and Makefile*, and makefile based upon 8181
-> didn't work out as desired after multiple tries in limited available time

trying alternative approach:
backing up these files into directory js-moved-away
copying conftest.sh and Makefile* and makefile from 8181

(need to unpack an 8181 driver archive before that, of course)

moving a function in nv-vm.c from out of another function (where the process of patching with "almost suitable patches" possibly placed it erroneously) further to the front, to where it is in the 8181 version of that file

(do this by comparing old, new unpatched, new patched file in editors, need a basic understanding of code)

then, compiling worked.

---

Now, in order to install:

idea: If nvidia-installer doesn't work with argument needed for Xorg 7 changed module directory, I'll replace nvidia installer from package 7676 with installer from package 8181.

nope, that failed.

however, i could use: ./nvidia-installer -a -n -e
-e says: ask extended questions
and when I changed /usr/X11R6/lib or so into /usr/lib/xorg or so
(see the archived log file from this directory) it performed the
installation.

the process completed, but X wouldn't start

But it helps to copy files from
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/*
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/*
to
/usr/lib/xorg/lib/modules/drivers/
/usr/lib/xorg/lib/modules/extensions/

(old and new path beginning in xorg 7.0)

I backup Makefile -> Makefile.original and make my own Makefile,
"make install" does everything as needed then.

--

Now X does not complain any more about a missing module :-)
But it complains about things having different patchlevels.

So I edit in those/this Makefile.* where I find it, the passed parameter
for patchlevel from 8181 to 7676 - as the makefiles were completely
copied from the 8181 release.

Ok... run make install again...

Now it works. Xorg starts with driver 7676 under Linux 2.6.18-rc4 SMP homecompiled kernel on a dual PIII 500.

---

If that doesn't help you through, I can try to prepare a diff, that you can use to patch a natively unpacked 7676 driver subdirectory. This will however take at least till after the 10th of September, as I will be busy till then. Hope these notes can aid you, though. I found the mentioned patches via usenet or nvnews or so.

Best wishes, Joerg
Old 11-07-06, 02:34 AM   #6
calinb

Send a message via ICQ to calinb Send a message via AIM to calinb Send a message via Yahoo to calinb
Default Re: unable to compile 7676 against linux 2.6.18, but no DGA in 8174 ... 8181 ... 876

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerg.sigle
If that doesn't help you through, I can try to prepare a diff, that you can use to patch a natively unpacked 7676 driver subdirectory. This will however take at least till after the 10th of September, as I will be busy till then. Hope these notes can aid you, though. I found the mentioned patches via usenet or nvnews or so.

Best wishes, Joerg
Joerg,

Did you ever make a diff? That would sure be sweet!

Thanks,

Cal
calinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-06, 10:25 AM   #7
philipl

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerg.sigle
I need DGA support on an nvidia card to let an old version of vmware run in fast+full screen mode. A current vmware release cannot do the job (tried it, but my virtual disk image is too old for plain migration).
DGA doesn't make anything fast - that's why we removed the use of it in new versions of VMware products :-)

Why do you have migration issues? Any given product can upgrade a disk produced by a version of Workstation one or two major versions older. If your disk is even older than that, then you can use an older version to upgrade it and the new version to upgrade it again.

Can you really have a disk that is that old? The current shipping version of Workstation is 5.5 and will upgrade VMs from 4.x and 3.x. If you have a 2.x or 1.x VM...

--phil
Old 11-08-06, 10:38 PM   #8
calinb

Send a message via ICQ to calinb Send a message via AIM to calinb Send a message via Yahoo to calinb

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipl

Can you really have a disk that is that old? The current shipping version of Workstation is 5.5 and will upgrade VMs from 4.x and 3.x. If you have a 2.x or 1.x VM...

--phil
Thanks, Phil. Although I use VMWare at work, (and it's nowhere near that old) I have to admit a different motive here. I have an FX-5200 based card for MythTV at home. None of the newer drivers work as well as the old ones. Drivers can go from usable to totally unusable from one release to the next.

In my experience, none of the post 7 series Nvidia drivers support sync to Vblank properly with MythTV Some of the 7 drivers were borked too. The OpenGL sync in Myth only partially helps. There is always some video tearing with the newer drivers. I'd simply like to get an older driver working with my custom 2.6.18 kernel.

Cal

Last edited by calinb; 11-09-06 at 12:13 AM.
calinb is offline   Reply With Quote