Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-14-06, 09:50 AM   #1
erinbolstad

Default nVidia 1.0-8762 driver for Quadro FX 1100: not attaching to the kernel?

Hi! I have recently adopted a Red Hat Enterprise 3.0 WS system with a nVidia Quadro FX 1100 card installed. Originally the OpenGL components were not working correctly, so I updated the the nVidia drivers (running the install program from the init 3 text based screen).

This worked very well, and OpenGL then worked fine. However, whenever I reboot, the driver setting returns to the generic vesa setting after generating the following errors in /var/log/XFree86.0.log:

NVIDIA(0): failed to load NVIDIA kernel module
screens found, but non have a usable config
Fata Server error:
no screens found

I've looked through various forums, and it seems that the nVidia driver is not attaching to the kernel during bootup. The problem is that I don't know how to make it attach during bootup, or where this would be done. Much of this is a crash course in linux operation for me.

As it stands, if I need to reboot for some reason, I have to reinstall the driver to get my OpenGL back. Obviously this isn't a feasible solution. I could upload my /etc/X11/XConfig, but currently it's in the working state.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
erinbolstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-06, 01:23 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: nVidia 1.0-8762 driver for Quadro FX 1100: not attaching to the kernel?

Please generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log immediately after experiencing this problem.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-06, 08:02 AM   #3
erinbolstad

Default Re: nVidia 1.0-8762 driver for Quadro FX 1100: not attaching to the kernel?

Thanks very much for getting back to me. After experiencing the problem for several days and several reboots/power-downs, the problem has seemed to remedy itself. The last install of the driver, for whatever reason, "took", creating all the correct settings permanently.

At least, all seems well. I've had several reboots/power-downs and every time it comes back up with OpenGL and the driver installed and working.

Truth be told, I'm not sure what happened. My conf files look correct now, and OpenGL works.

Thanks again!
erinbolstad is offline   Reply With Quote