Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-16-06, 06:03 PM   #1
Diffform

Default 2nd x-server won't work

Hello there,

I have a Problem with my GeForce FX 5200 and XGl and TVOUT.

I configured an extra section for my TV-Monitor in my xorg.config (attached) and wanted to start the second x-server on my tv-screen playing a movie by:

Code:
X -screen TV :1 -ac & sleep 2; DISPLAY=:1 gmplayer -fs "$1" && kill `ps aux | awk '/X\ -screen/ {print $2}' `
But nothing happens, and I get the message:

Code:
XXX:/home/xyz # X -screen TV :1 -ac
X Error of failed request:  BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib l
ength error)
  Major opcode of failed request:  148 (GLX)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  2 (X_GLXRenderLarge)
  Serial number of failed request:  89
  Current serial number in output stream:  90
I haven't found anything related to this special problem, so I hope you could help me!

Greets
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (5.6 KB, 112 views)
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (43.6 KB, 109 views)
Diffform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 03:56 AM   #2
jcat

Default Re: 2nd x-server won't work

If you're trying to set-up an nvidia card to use seperate xservers on seperate VT's at the same time, then you'll have a job. The nvidia cards with one monitor out and one TV out aren't really dual head cards, so you have to run them in the dual screen config on the same xserver, not single screens on seperate xservers.

You can only do that with a proper dual head card or two single head nvidia cards AFAIKT

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
jcat
jcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 04:50 AM   #3
Diffform

Default Re: 2nd x-server won't work

Thank you for your response,

the reason for doing it as described is, that, if i want to watch a movie, i want to watch it on my TV. But I don't need two screens switched on. If I want to do something on my computer I want to return to my normal screen vt7, and to continue watching the movie on vt8.

Now I solved the problem (by chance): In the tvout script (as posted above) I replaced 'X -screen TV :1' by 'XFree86 -screen TV :1' and now everything is working. Anyone could tell me why?

Greets

P.S The special thing with this configuration is, that you can replace mplayer by every other program and so e.g. play games on your TV. And if your crashing the X-Server nothing happens to your current (working) X-Session.
Diffform is offline   Reply With Quote