Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-16-06, 07:33 AM   #1
Gregoire.Favre

Default Would it be possible to have good 2d with nv ?

Hello,

I am not interested in 3d and currently the nv driver lacks (or I miss something, from what I have understood only nvidia driver support xvmc) mpeg2 decompression helper.

Would it be completely unreasonnable for nvidia to gives enough specs to include a decent 2d (meaning good mpeg 2/x264 decompression with deinterlacing) for adding it to the nv driver ?

Before having a nvidia card, I was always using matrox one, and I really miss the "real" fb I cannot have anymore with nvidia.

Currently the only good solution for 2d under linux are Via Epia cards which I found rather unpleasant
Gregoire.Favre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-06, 07:43 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: Would it be possible to have good 2d with nv ?

The nv driver should handle 2d fine but I expect that nvidia will never add XvMC to it. There are several reasons why I think they won't add it and for the same reasons even companies like Intel aren't adding the code. First of all there's quite a number of IP in XvMC related technology and second releasing the code would reveal important parts of how the GPU does the mpeg decoding / sending it to the card including MacroVision stuff. If this stuff was open people could easily workaround these copyprotections in Windows, OSX, Linux and other operating systems.

You can say that there are lots of opensource mediaplayers which can be used to dump content aswell. In this case it is more about DRM-protected content which users would be able to copy if the XvMC code was open. Companies like Apple, Real, Microsoft and movie companies wouldn't be happy about this.

So releasing XvMC specifications would reveal information about how to bypass various content related copy protections. (In case of Intel there's some comment about this on the xorg lists which mentions that the updated opensource Intel drivers need a small binary driver for XvMC)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-06, 02:54 AM   #3
Gregoire.Favre

Default Re: Would it be possible to have good 2d with nv ?

Oh, sad situation

Thank for the answer, then I hope nvidia will also think on 2d user who also want fb one day
Gregoire.Favre is offline   Reply With Quote