Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-13-03, 12:42 PM   #1
chatterz

Unhappy Refresh Rate Problems

I have a Red Hat 8 installation and just recently installed the nvidia drivers for my GF4. The driver installation went just fine (surprisingly). I get the nvidia logo before X loads so I know the driver is actually installed and working. I'm having a few problems with display resolutions and refresh rates though. Red hat couldn't probe my monitor so I checked online for refresh rate specs and all that..updated my XF86Config file. BUT, my refresh rate is really freaking slow. Whenever I minimize/maximize windows or type text, there is noticable lag (I guess this could also be due to AGP not working). I read the nvidia readme, and screwed around with the XF86Config file..but nothing seems to work. I tried disabling 3D Rendering, slowing down the AGP speed, switching between the nvidia agp support to the one used in the linux kernel (can't remember the name =). I even tried to physically change the refresh rate ranges. Any ideas as to what's going on?? I have a 19 inch Sony CPD G410R monitor, 30-110 khz horizontal, running at 85 khz vertical and @ 1600 x 1200 res.
chatterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-03, 03:51 PM   #2
bwkaz

That's not an issue with the refresh rate. It's a known problem with the 4191 drivers.

nVidia, for reasons unknown, decided to do away with accelerating the RENDER X extension and replace it with something proprietary that apparently doesn't work very well. Making your Gnome background a solid color (rather than a pixmap, aka picture) will help, if you use Gnome. Otherwise, trying 3123 is about all I can think of suggesting, unless I forgot something...

If you do a forum search for something like "4191 slowdown", you should find enough threads that one of them should have a few things to try to speed it up.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote