Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-18-06, 08:39 AM   #1
tezem

Default Bug Tracker for Nvidia Linux driver related bugs?

Hello,

I wandered about this email bug tracking here when I reported a bug some time ago.
Now I just want to ask why nobody is setting up a bug tracking system? This would ease the searching for bugs and problems, duplicate stuff and so on. A Forum and email is nice but not appropriate for filing bugs imo.

best regards,
tezem
tezem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-06, 08:52 AM   #2
Lithorus

Default Re: Bug Tracker for Nvidia Linux driver related bugs?

A good example :
http://ati.cchtml.com/
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-06, 10:41 AM   #3
pe1chl

Apparently there is a bug tracking system inside nvidia, you sometimes see the nvidia employees on this forum acknowledge that a bug exists and reporting under which number they filed it.
But it is not open to the external world, so you cannot access it to check the status of those bugs.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-06, 12:25 PM   #4
tezem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
Apparently there is a bug tracking system inside nvidia, you sometimes see the nvidia employees on this forum acknowledge that a bug exists and reporting under which number they filed it.
But it is not open to the external world, so you cannot access it to check the status of those bugs.
Yeah I can imagine that there is one, but why is it closed? I remember the time I used to search for my problem in this forum. The Problem is that I don't know if somebody did a bug report already and this alone may lead to many duplicate reports the nvidia devs get over mail. Not to speak about the "trash" threads a user has to crawl through because bugs and other stuff is mixed in this forum.
The other thing is that I remember a very fast response from one nvidia dev but I wondered about this email communication. How much information is going to be lost because the dev is writing to somebody personally.
I am sure that many examples can be added to this to finalize, that such a system would make sense, not only for the users but also (if not even more) for the devs.
Old 08-18-06, 02:29 PM   #5
wizdom

Corporations regularly close bug trackers because they believe that it is perceived negatively if they openly admit to flaws in their software products.

Recently there have been more corporations giving up this dogmatic and frankly idiotic idea and making their trackers at least read-only. Even Microsoft are doing this now for IE7. I hope NVIDIA follow suit.
wizdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-06, 10:40 PM   #6
mooninite

Hm....

http://nvidia.cchtml.com anyone?

I don't think I have the capacity for both boats. I will leave it open for someone else for now.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-06, 08:47 AM   #7
zbiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithorus
A good example :
http://ati.cchtml.com/
Making something like this is good idea. ATI officially does not use this site but it is known that ATI developers read this site. If something like this will be created for Nvidia hardware I think Nvidia will behave in the same way as ATI: will not officially use this site but will read bugreports to know what's up. Why wasting time hunting for bug in code if people show you where it is and sometimes tell how to fix?
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-06, 09:56 AM   #8
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbiggy
Making something like this is good idea.
I do not agree with that. A read option on an official bug tracking page would be nice, but we really don't need another place to dump unstructured whining and complaining.
Remember that someone has to maintain it, remove the duplicates, remove the trash, etc.
And a developer has to read the valid bugs, and crosscompare all this with the official bugtracking list.
To me it sounds like a huge waste of time better spent on useful work.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-06, 10:26 AM   #9
Lithorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe1chl
I do not agree with that. A read option on an official bug tracking page would be nice, but we really don't need another place to dump unstructured whining and complaining.
Remember that someone has to maintain it, remove the duplicates, remove the trash, etc.
And a developer has to read the valid bugs, and crosscompare all this with the official bugtracking list.
To me it sounds like a huge waste of time better spent on useful work.
Making an unofficial bug tracker system is to actually achieve the excact opposite. It's to get structured tracking of bugs and to inform others that they are not alone with a specific bug. Here on the forums numerous duplicate threads gets posted almost every day. With a bug tracking system you can just mark them duplicate and people can communicate alot better about specific bugs. This is not primarily for the nvidia developers. Think of it as a bug tracking system for the users which is read-only for nvidia.
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-06, 04:43 AM   #10
tezem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithorus
Making an unofficial bug tracker system is to actually achieve the excact opposite. It's to get structured tracking of bugs and to inform others that they are not alone with a specific bug. Here on the forums numerous duplicate threads gets posted almost every day. With a bug tracking system you can just mark them duplicate and people can communicate alot better about specific bugs. This is not primarily for the nvidia developers. Think of it as a bug tracking system for the users which is read-only for nvidia.
I guess your right but I doubt somebody can be found to host the tracker and maintain the database in a proper way.
I'm pretty sure that the Nvidia Devs would like to open a Bug Tracker but are not allowed to do so.
Doesn't matter, essentially I opened just another whining thread.