Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-25-06, 11:26 AM   #25
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Nvidia has open source drivers at nvidia.com

Lithorus,
Thanks for your feedback. NVIDIA does push out the source to these drivers to the appropriate mainline kernel maintainer, so they will (eventually) appear in kernel.org kernels as well.

-Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 11:40 AM   #26
pzgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Also, the source to binary drivers is included for anyone who wishes to build it on their own.
And I think you've learned from that. Open your drivers and you get many many more help and! The most important for a company: Happy and satisfied customers
pzgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 11:46 AM   #27
PrakashP
gentoo ~x86_64 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzgren
And I think you've learned from that. Open your drivers and you get many many more help and! The most important for a company: Happy and satisfied customers
The problem ist we are bugging the wrong persons. They are just devs. The managers need some smack^H^H^H^H^Hconvincing.
PrakashP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 04:01 PM   #28
PowerUser

Quote:
Lithorus,
SuSE and Redhat are explicitly 'supported' as NVIDIA's enterprise customers have requested support for those distributions. The source for the drivers is also included in the 1.11 package for anyone running a different distribution, should they wish to build the drivers. For a recent (2.6.16.x or later) kernel, all you should need to do is replace the 'default' source with that included in the 1.11 package (or my sticky post) and (re)build the kernel.
I'm don't understand why there is no support for Ubuntu and\or Debian .Ubuntu is quite popular distro, easy to install and used by lots of users due to this fact.And they're targeting for long life of their version 6.06 (declared to be supported for 6 years).So it about to be quite widely used and popular.

Current state:
I have MSI K9N Platinum MB - Nforce 570 chipset.So...

- Ubuntu 6.06 has problems in forcedeth.c - it detects cards, could recieve packets but transmission fails.There is errors saying about Tx timeouts.

- Ubuntu 6.06.1 which has been recently released has a dozen of fixes.This issue also resolved and all works properly.

However it is a fair idea to have always latest drivers supported by NVidia itself.Othervice I'm feeling myself uncomfortable because it looks for me like I'd bought hardware which vendor fails to support even quite popular software.
PowerUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-06, 10:23 PM   #29
Unabomber54

I know that the graphics driver developers here won't personally care, but I am passing over all nForce motherboards while upgrading to a Core Duo E6600 explicitly because of incomplete / poor / historically terrible vendor support of free software.
Unabomber54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-06, 12:59 AM   #30
pzgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUser
I'm don't understand why there is no support for Ubuntu and\or Debian .
I'm afraid, Ubuntu is not running in many big paying business companies like enterprise systems from RH or Novell, yet. The Linux enterprise systems are not for privat users and you can see here exactly, for whom the drivers are mainly written and supported. That's business...
pzgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-06, 12:03 PM   #31
wizdom

It's worth noting that at least the forcedeth driver 0.56 is in 2.6.18-rc4, so the driver will be in 2.6.18.
wizdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-06, 07:01 PM   #32
SaTaN0rX

Quote:
I'm don't understand why there is no support for Ubuntu and\or Debian .Ubuntu is quite popular distro, easy to install and used by lots of users due to this fact.
IMHO, nvidia has done enough to just release the source to the driver.
It's then up to the distributors to include support for this harware, as there
is now NO obstacle that keeps them for doing so.

If nvidia provides additional support for the 2 distros with the highest
marketshare, thats up to nv. But it's of course (IMHO) a waste of precious develloper time to build packages for all 500.000 distros out there.

You can build the modules yourself out of the sources, or wait until
ubunu/someone else builds packages for your os of choice.

the real thing i'd bug nv about: why they just don't release the next gen of
chipsets with ahci hardware, since they have bought uli ? :P!
SaTaN0rX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-06, 08:44 PM   #33
fhj52

Quote:
I'm don't understand why there is no support for Ubuntu and\or Debian .Ubuntu is quite popular distro, easy to install and used by lots of users due to this fact.And they're targeting for long life of their version 6.06 (declared to be supported for 6 years).So it about to be quite widely used and popular.
[snip]
The user base for ubuntu and kubuntu is tiny compared to Redhat, RHEL, Fedora, SUSE, SEL, openSUSE and all the others that are clones of those ( CentOS, Scientific Linux, Mandr*, etc...) and can probably use the same RPMs.
NV made a choice to support the largest group of people possible with the least amount of effort.

I seriously doubt that 6.0 is going to make it. I used 5.04 Hoary and it was far, far better. I really hoped that 6.06.1 w/b the last(as in permanent) distro for me but it is too much trouble = unstable, buggy = as it is.
In particular, the (k)ubuntu partitioner LOST =destroyed= 6GB of my data because it is too S.T.U.P.I.D to make a simple deletion and not get confused. Fdisk has never been very good but that is unacceptable implementation. ...
Once I get fixed, as much as I can, of what they broke, it is being removed and it will be a very, very long time before I ever try *untu again.

NV made the correct choice even if they did it the wrong way.

---------------------------------
System: BFG GTX260^2 graphics but has ** TERRIBLE BLINKING OS **
SuperMicro H8DCi+AMI BIOS;dual Opt'285;8GB;LSI 320-2x w/ 6xU320 Fuji' MAXs in RAID 10; 4xSATAII on LSI 3041E for backup. Multi-boot Mandriva Linux, openSUSE, WinXPx64 & Win2k-AS; Creative Audigy2-Digital audio.
Gigabyte GA-2CEWH & NVRAID are GONE ... Finally!!
fhj52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-06, 02:52 PM   #34
jacen

Quote:
I'll try, as best as I can, to respond to all the recent questions regarding the 'new' open source driver (1.11) package. Please see my sticky post for additional details:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=945687

fhj52,
All that you need for any NVIDIA NIC is the forcedeth driver. There is nothing special about the driver package on NVIDIA's website which restricts it exclusively to MCP55. The driver package in the above URL includes pre-compiled RPMs and driver disks (which can be used for adding hardware support when installing the associated Linux distribution). Additionally, it provides the source for the forcedeth, sata_nv and amd74xx.c drivers. One thing to note is that the source is only included (under the corresponding distribution subdirectory) for distributions which do not already ship with the latest version of the corresponding driver.

In the case of SuSE-10.1, there isn't currently an explicit driver package, however you can build the new forcedeth for your SuSE-10.1 kernel fairly easily. Create a new Makefile the line:

obj-m := forcedeth.o

Then, type the command "make -C /usr/src/<kernel> SUBDIRS=$PWD modules" to build the forcedeth module for the kernel you specified. SuSE-10.1 already ships with the same version of sata_nv & amd74xx which is included in the 1.11 driver package.

gilboa,
As Thunderbird commented, there are no current plans to add any accelerated support to the 'nv' X driver, as NVIDIA already ships a driver with 3D acceleration (the 'nvidia' X driver).

Lithorus,
SuSE and Redhat are explicitly 'supported' as NVIDIA's enterprise customers have requested support for those distributions. The source for the drivers is also included in the 1.11 package for anyone running a different distribution, should they wish to build the drivers. For a recent (2.6.16.x or later) kernel, all you should need to do is replace the 'default' source with that included in the 1.11 package (or my sticky post) and (re)build the kernel.

irondog,
If you read the README that is included with the 1.11 driver package, you'd se that it provides instructions how to build the drivers from source. I'll talk with development about the possibility of posting SRPMs, or at least a SPEC file to generate the RPMs. In the interim, you should be able to build the forcedeth driver with the Makefile I noted earlier in this post.

Thanks,
Lonni
A question to Nvidia, Are they planning to fully support nforce2 audio hardware mixing in their future drivers, or give the driver code to ALSA so WE can fully use and enjoy our sound cards?. If you are going to drop the chipset support, why can't you let others do it for you?.

I know that the 1.0-0310 driver will not work with some future kernel, and, if you don't know, the ALSA driver (AC codec) sounds like hell with analog speakers (a loud beeep in the background).

Thanks.
jacen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-06, 01:51 PM   #35
collinm

hi

i use suse 10.1 64bits

i'm not able to build: forcedeth.c

my Makefile

Code:
obj-m := forcedeth.o
when i do

Code:
make -C /usr/src/linux-2.6.16.21-0.13 SUBDIRS=$PWD modules
i get
Code:
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16.21-0.13'
Makefile:450: .config: Aucun fichier ou répertoire de ce type

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-2.6.16.21-0.13/Module.symvers
           is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

CC [M]  /home/collinm/Download/nvidia/forcedeth.o
/home/collinm/Download/nvidia/forcedeth.c: In function ‘nv_set_sg’:
/home/collinm/Download/nvidia/forcedeth.c:3886: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
/bin/sh: scripts/basic/fixdep: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [/home/collinm/Download/nvidia/forcedeth.o] Error 1
make: *** [_module_/home/collinm/Download/nvidia] Error2
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16.21-0.13'
any idea?
collinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-06, 01:56 PM   #36
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Your kernel source seems to be either broken or incomplete:

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-2.6.16.21-0.13/Module.symvers
is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.
/bin/sh: scripts/basic/fixdep: No such file or directory

This looks like a SuSE problem.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote