Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-29-06, 12:18 AM   #13
JoshPrismon

Default Re: What is NVIDIA planning to do with XGL/AIGLX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
One small comment regarding TFP, only recently the specification was finalized. A concept version of it was done for some time but a final spec requied lots of testing, finding bugs in the specification and so on. Further Nvidia is planning lots of changes for 9xxx which is why it is a lot of work.
That gives me hope. I may try and put the 6600GT back in my linux box then.
JoshPrismon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-06, 12:21 AM   #14
JoshPrismon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbiggy
Really? Great!
I hope there will be:
-some kind of video deinterlacing
-hardware accelerated console framebuffer
-XvMC acceleration of MPEG1,4 ;H263
-purevideo support

Compilation of apps takes so much time. Offloading console text output and video clips acceleration to GPU would give me more fluent system. It is always more fun watching these funny videos from the Internet than looking at gcc output and waiting.

There is hw framebuffer driver for geforce chips. If Nvidia could patch this open driver or provide compability code in X driver we could use it. But it is known to have incompabilities now.

Honestly, I would settle for the AIGLX approach (which nVidia has lobbied hard for) and _some overscan_ that works with HDTV. I have no CPU contention issues, even with compiliation and my myth box, and I don't mind letting the kernel do de-interlacing.

(Btw, doesn't hardware de-interlacing occur with XvMC anyways?)
JoshPrismon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 01:43 PM   #15
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

My ATI 9800 Pro won't even work with XGL at all . . .
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-06, 11:31 PM   #16
nukem

Id love to get Xgl working on my desktop(a 7800 GT and Dell 2405FPW) but since its not support I dont want to fool around with hacks that make it work. I know many people believe that the 9xxx series driver will be out in September but if its going to be much later then that(like 2007) I would if nvidia would consider releasing another 8xxx drive with Xgl support.

Its kind of sad, im about to put Xgl on my Thinkpad with an ATI Radeon 7500.
Old 09-01-06, 09:48 AM   #17
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

@nukem: You should be able to run Xgl today. GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap support in the driver will mean that you won't need Xgl.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-06, 11:15 AM   #18
ecastro

As AaronP said, you already can use XGL. I tried the korora live cd and worked like a charm! Both in my fx5200 and in a fx6800.

I havent tried aiglx though.
ecastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-06, 03:54 PM   #19
am2020
Quadro4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
@nukem: You should be able to run Xgl today. GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap support in the driver will mean that you won't need Xgl.
Just a comment based on what I see in ubuntu as requirements for XGL/compiz:
They require mesa (!!!) because of some missing API calls in the drivers. Are they
talking about the GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap.... ? (To me, having to use Mesa defeats the whole purpose of having the HW accelerated OpenGL)
am2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-06, 04:43 PM   #20
elanthis
Always Annoyed

First, yes, that's what they mean.

Second, technically, Mesa doesn't mean you're using software rendering. Mesa is the OpenGL library used by DRI drivers, after all. It's also the OpenGL library used by all apps running under XGL, even if you're using NVIDIA's proprietary drivers.

Old 09-09-06, 01:34 PM   #21
Alan666

I fully understand why users are chomping at the bit (so to speak) for Compiz support.

It is seriously cool.

And more than just cool, it is very useful.

Having the ability to make windows arbitrarily transparent is very nice. (Especially when you need to keep an eye on something and still get work done.) I had a chance to work with it for about a week and found that it allowed me to get more done once I got used to how to make the desktop do my bidding.

Even better is having a desktop so cool that both Mac and Windows users are jealous.

I understand the problems of getting drivers out and tested, but it makes it hard on those of us who are doing development out on the bleeding edge of X development. I may have to buy a different video card just to tide me over until the nvidia drivers get released. (I wish there was some sort of beta driver program for this stuff. I can live with crashes, as long as I can make bug reports that someone will fix.)

Currently, most of the cool interface design work is being done in Compiz. I expect the interesting features from Looking Glass and Matesse (if I remember that name right) will get ported in as well.

There is nothing more frustrating than seeing a cool new toy that you cannot play with.
Alan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 12:56 AM   #22
fozner

Bummer...

Xgl Live CD
Wednesday, August 16, 2006, 12:33
The Kororaa Xgl Live CD has been taken offline due to GPL violation by distributing the ATI and nVidia drivers with the Linux kernel.

We would like to apologise to the Linux developer community and thank everyone for their support, especially the end users who have loved our Live CD.

Thanks,
Your Kororaa Team
http://kororaa.org/static.php?page=xgl-livecd
fozner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 09:56 AM   #23
cloccc3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fozner
The Kororaa Xgl Live CD has been taken offline due to GPL violation by distributing the ATI and nVidia drivers with the Linux kernel.
I'm sorry.
If you really have violated distribution rules you are wrong.

Anyway, all this question demostrates that closed driver development is too much slow respect of free software development.

I hope Nvidia may be persuaded to open its own software.
cloccc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 11:58 PM   #24
Robster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloccc3
Anyway, all this question demostrates that closed driver development is too much slow respect of free software development.

I hope Nvidia may be persuaded to open its own software.
I wonder, have you seriously used many open source drivers? I've struggled with the Via drivers (Via's own, Unichrome, and Openchrome), and even tried to add code to help the effort, without success, until I was prematurely grey (at least that's what I'm blaming it on ). The projects advertise all sorts of goodness, there are people who have undoubtably had success with them, but they are not a robust solution for a wide variety of users.

Contrast that with nVidia's drivers which, for all the faults you can find with them, actually work across a wide range of hardware, and are installable in a form that people below that "techno-god" level can actually use.

I know which I prefer.
Robster is offline   Reply With Quote