Old 09-12-06, 04:58 AM   #25
cloccc3

Default Re: What is NVIDIA planning to do with XGL/AIGLX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster
I know which I prefer.
I'm not a programmer, instead.
So I can just to expose my opinion.

I also use proprietary drivers because they are better.
But (for me) that happens because nvidia developer use a lot of private information about hardware.

About AIGLX, we have a delay of proprietary software even if all AIGLX specification are completly free.
cloccc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 05:44 AM   #26
Robster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloccc3
About AIGLX, we have a delay of proprietary software even if all AIGLX specification are completly free.
I'm not sure what you mean by that comment, but as far as I understand, AIGLX is completely supported by the nVidia drivers already.

It seems to me that the whole GLX-accelerated desktop scene at the moment is in a big state of flux... if I understand it there are "compositors" in progress, which may be workable with gnome but aren't with KDE, and true built-in GLX acceleration built into gnome and KDE is still months away. And I don't even know what a "compositor" is!

With nVidia, I've read that all it needs is support for the texture_from_pixmap extension, or maybe it needs some other features, and in the meantime there are people wanting their nVidia-based media centres to have better overscan support or better dual-screen support, etc, etc.

I wonder if this will ever settle down, or are we going to be permanently unhappy with what we've got and waiting for the "next big thing"?
Robster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 07:43 AM   #27
Lithorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster
I'm not sure what you mean by that comment, but as far as I understand, AIGLX is completely supported by the nVidia drivers already.

It seems to me that the whole GLX-accelerated desktop scene at the moment is in a big state of flux... if I understand it there are "compositors" in progress, which may be workable with gnome but aren't with KDE, and true built-in GLX acceleration built into gnome and KDE is still months away. And I don't even know what a "compositor" is!

With nVidia, I've read that all it needs is support for the texture_from_pixmap extension, or maybe it needs some other features, and in the meantime there are people wanting their nVidia-based media centres to have better overscan support or better dual-screen support, etc, etc.
You are completely contradicting yourself there. texture_from_pixmap is the ONE feature the nvidia driver needs to fully support AIGLX.
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 07:51 AM   #28
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Please note that there's a difference between the AIGLX project and accelerated indirect GLX rendering itself, from which the project derived its name; the NVIDIA Linux graphics drivers support the latter, but do not currently support the GLX_ext_texture_from_pixmap extension used by the AIGLX project.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 03:37 PM   #29
Robster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
Please note that there's a difference between the AIGLX project and accelerated indirect GLX rendering itself
Aha! That's a vital point that I was missing. Thanks!
Robster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 09:08 PM   #30
wizdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshPrismon
Heh. Well I guess I will have to tell my Myth Box downstairs that has a X600 AIW with a R300 that it shouldn't be able to run Compviz and AIGLX. In fact, I will have to put the 6600GT that I had in there back in and run Buggy XGL on it!

Sorry. R300 works quite well. In fact everything is very solid, my system is running at lower CPU with the R300 driver and XV then the 6600GT and XvMC, and no overscanning at 540P on the ATI via the Audio Authority to boot!
It didn't work when I posted the message and it doesn't work with Xorg 7.1. Newer MESAs might have it working now, but I've still not seen it work on my Mobility Radeon 9600.
wizdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-06, 06:22 AM   #31
Linds

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyman76b
which open drivers?

do you mean the 2d drivers, Dave Airlie is not allowed to release?

And ATI did not relase any specs - they paid a third party to make open drivers - with as little information-leakage as possible.

Face it, ATI sucks. With nvidia, you can use every card with the open nv-driver. With ATI a lot of cards don't even have 2d support.

Everytime somebody buys an ATI card, God kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens!
I think he was referring to the r300 drivers getting support faster because of the release cycle reluctance of the binary fglrx/nvidia drivers. The r300 drivers are shaping up very fast right now if you're using latest. And the driver Dave can't release is just an X1000+ modesetting driver.
Linds is offline   Reply With Quote