Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-14-03, 06:54 PM   #1
BladeRunner
BFG 7800 GTX SLI

Default Just got a FX 5800 Ultra

It think it's an early sample, and it got a bit battered in transit, a couple of the caps were bent over a bit, and the FX flow plastic part cracked in one area. Not sure if it's related, but the text in 2d has some smudging, looks like a white vapour trail off to the right of the text and images?.

Doesn't matter for this samples purpose, as it's being sent back soon anyway, I was expecting a dead card for my purposes. Another thing that leads me to think it's an early sample is that it's not fan throttling in 2d, but running flat out, and yes it's true.....flat out the FX flow sounds similar to a delta CPU fan to me.

Haven't done anything else with it yet but the complete FX flow cooler comes off the card with ease, all of it unscrews or unclips. Something I noticed is the backside ram sink is not copper, but alu with a copper, (or copper effect), plating. It also gets extremely hot indicating the ram chips get very hot.

My water cooler appears to fit perfectly with just some minor filing & base milling in one area
Old 02-14-03, 07:40 PM   #2
Neova

Keep us posted with your "engineering"! Droolz...
Neova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-03, 02:21 AM   #3
creedamd

Default Re: Just got a FX 5800 Ultra

Quote:
Originally posted by BladeRunner
It think it's an early sample, and it got a bit battered in transit, a couple of the caps were bent over a bit, and the FX flow plastic part cracked in one area. Not sure if it's related, but the text in 2d has some smudging, looks like a white vapour trail off to the right of the text and images?.

Doesn't matter for this samples purpose, as it's being sent back soon anyway, I was expecting a dead card for my purposes. Another thing that leads me to think it's an early sample is that it's not fan throttling in 2d, but running flat out, and yes it's true.....flat out the FX flow sounds similar to a delta CPU fan to me.

Haven't done anything else with it yet but the complete FX flow cooler comes off the card with ease, all of it unscrews or unclips. Something I noticed is the backside ram sink is not copper, but alu with a copper, (or copper effect), plating. It also gets extremely hot indicating the ram chips get very hot.

My water cooler appears to fit perfectly with just some minor filing & base milling in one area
pics??
creedamd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-03, 03:22 AM   #4
silence

which part is making more heat?
silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-03, 04:07 AM   #5
kyleb

sweet BladeRunner, any chance you running 3dmark03 with some various drivers and post back with your scores and make note of any visual anomiles? i know the drivers tested with the impresive scores are not readaly avalble but i realy am interested for some first hand report of if the geforcefx is effected by the same issues noted with the newer beta drivers on other cards.

also don't supose they gave you any of their cool demos to play with?
kyleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-03, 05:38 AM   #6
The_KELRaTH

I believe you can grab 42.68 drivers from Guru3D, viewing the 3DMark scores from IXBT it would seem these are much the same as HardOCP's 42.67.
The_KELRaTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-03, 10:40 AM   #7
BladeRunner
BFG 7800 GTX SLI

I was running the 42.68's when I had it in but the fan noise was too much to bare for long, so I'm back with the R 9700 until the FX has the water-cooler mounted.

When running the card in 2d the main frontside FX Flow cooler was no more than warm, but the backside alu ram sink was 53C in a 20c room ambient with open case no case fans, (the fan was running flat out in 2D and does not appear to throttle on this example). Not really tested it in 3D properly yet as I lost my o/s and most backup discs recently due to a break in at my house, so downloading everything is going to take a while on a 33k dial up... more on that HERE.

It's not mine to keep for long, and was just a card in a jiffy bag that came by post a was a bit battered on arival, (no box or discs). I have limited time due to work etc, so benching is something I wont be doing. Apart from lack of time I hold little value to anything the futuremark app indicates, as all previous mad onion versions are biased in some way or another to certian hardware, and also not a true indication of actual game performance.

will have some pics of this FX up soon

Last edited by BladeRunner; 02-16-03 at 11:07 AM.
BladeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-03, 12:14 PM   #8
kyleb

lol BladeRunner, you didnt have to parphase the nvidia press release to me, i read their rhetoric when it came out. im sorry i mistook guess i mistook you for type of person who was interested the avanceing gameing industry.
kyleb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-03, 12:35 PM   #9
savyj

Quote:
Originally posted by kyleb
lol BladeRunner, you didnt have to parphase the nvidia press release to me, i read their rhetoric when it came out. im sorry i mistook guess i mistook you for type of person who was interested the avanceing gameing industry.
Sigh... speaking of rhetoric. I know!... everytime somebody posts anything remotely in support of NVIDIA's stance (like half the friggin hardware websites out there) why don't you mindlessly criticize them as spouting NVIDIA's rhetoric. That's much better than assuming the person has their own opinion and is capable of thinking for themselves.

Instead of slamming people in an unconstructive manner, try using acurate, objective statements to highlight YOUR perspective. You'll be aiding the community instead of bringing it down.
Old 02-16-03, 12:38 PM   #10
savyj

BladeRunner, I'm not familiar with what you do. I take it you are building a water block for the FX?
Old 02-16-03, 01:38 PM   #11
BladeRunner
BFG 7800 GTX SLI

kyleb

Maybe I missed something, but I don't remember starting this topic saying I was going to benchmark it?. I'm just a gamer / modder and was giving my first impressions of the card as such, (something that's not always well put over by the review sites, as it becomes a chore to a lot of those that do it as a job).

Very interesting how you percieved my comments. As far as being the type of person who was interested the advancing gaming industry, I'd have to say I'm not in a position or do I have the skill equipment or time to properly test the card to be able to give a true picture that would be anywhere near as good as the best hardware review sites, so I'd rather not try. There are dozens of performance reviews out there if that's what you need, I'm more interested in the physical card and it's design/ cooling etc, with a view to water-cooling it.

My comments about 3D MK are not of the moment, but generally through all versions, and are just that...... my opinion which is why I said "I hold little value to anything the futuremark app indicates"

I have since been informed this FX card was sent to me as dead because of the text issue I mentioned.

For those that haven't seen what I do yet click my sig
Old 02-16-03, 02:24 PM   #12
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Its always nice to see your work BladeRunner
It will be interesting how the card performs after you have modded it. Funny that you mention the heat of the memory, as I have stated in a few threads already, that the main heat problem may be due to the DDRII memory, as it was reported that that has been the biggest problem thus far with DDRII, heat! Instead everyone likes to just go ahead and blame the chipset for the heat Lets hope that the memory chipsets get better soon.
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote