Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-25-02, 03:39 AM   #1
rtz

Default RedHat 7.3 / nForce install - Success!

Here's how I did it and hopefully, this will help someone out in the future.

When you download RH 7.3, you might need all 3 CD's.. And if you only download the first one, it won't let you just skip the second one if you don't have it..

You more then likely won't need the 3rd disc though. But you will need the first 2.

I just did a typical default "workstation" install this time around. I'll do a custom install next time so I can chop down that 1.5 gig install to about ~500 megs.

At the end of the install, when you pick your resolution and color depth, don't do the test option... I did and I just got a black screen and had to do the install over again.

Also, choose to use LILO for the bootload and not GRUB. I used GRUB the first time and it said it "couldn't load it into memory, error 28" or some such nonsense, so I had to reinstall and use LILO instead.

Now, when you boot up for the first time, already have the nForce drivers and the latest detonators on a CD. When it's booting up(Use LILO), it will have a graphical menu and Linux will be the choice and in the lower left of the screen, it will say "Press CTL X" for something that I don't remember. Anyways, press CTL X and then type "Linux 3" and press enter. That way it won't try and boot up KDE/Gnome. It will boot to the command prompt and you can update your drivers since Nvidia won't open source them and RedHat won't include them on the CD.

Now, I installed the nForce RPM with no problem at all. I rebooted and the startup detected I now had a network card and I set it to use DHCP and that was that.

Now to install the GeForce drivers. I had to mount the cdrom.

mount /mnt/cdrom

Then you NEED to install the kernel source and the kernel headers that are listed as glibc-kernelheaders or something like that.

I first attempted to install both the Nvidia Kernel and GLX using RPMS and they both failed. Maybe because I didn't have the kernel source and headers installed first?

Why doesn't RedHat install GCC by default!!?? They need too!

I had to install a bunch of things because of dependinces.

So, in summary. Install RedHat, boot to run level 3. Then install the nForce drivers(I rebooted so I could take care of the NIC). Then install the kernel source and headers and gcc.. Then install the detonater kernel and glx from the tar files.

Maybe the rpm files will work after the kernel source and headers are installed?

Any questions just post them.
rtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-02, 08:58 AM   #2
FrankShieh

hello
I meet the same situation as you
almost the total thing...
GRUB meet #28 error..
When install test the display and monitor fall in black...

well , it's so nice to know there is someone suffer those like me
and Thanks your post

Still work hard to enter XWindow...

Old 08-29-02, 09:45 AM   #3
oddjob

Default "install the kernel source"

Just a silly question (from a newbie):

By "Then you NEED to install the kernel source and the kernel headers that are listed as glibc-kernelheaders or something like that."

you must mean that they shall be installed and that the "kernel
source" must be compiled in some way?
Old 08-29-02, 01:04 PM   #4
rtz

No, I meant the Nvidia kernel driver. Just install the Linux kernel source and headers.
Old 09-03-02, 09:37 AM   #5
shaun680

I'm sorry if this sounds stupid but I am a total newbie and can't understand some of the instructions.

I ran a file called NVchooser.sh and it told me I needed two files: NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2313.src.rpm and NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2313.i386.rpm. But these wern't on the NVidia site so I had to get them from somewere else. I also downloaded the linux Nforce driver which set up my network card like you said. But whats all this about detonator drivers? Could you please send the link to the ones I need.

Quote:

Then you NEED to install the kernel source and the kernel headers that are listed as glibc-kernelheaders or something like that.
This may sound silly, but I don't really understand this line. Is the kernel source the "NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2313.src.rpm" or something else? What is "glibc-kernelheaders"?

When I tried to install the kernel and glx rpms, the kernel rpm worked, but I got this error on the GLX rpm:

Error: failed dependencies
NVIDIA_kernel is needed by NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2313.i386.rpm

Also what is GCC?
shaun680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-02, 01:43 PM   #6
rtz

Quote:
Originally posted by shaun680
I ran a file called NVchooser.sh and it told me I needed two files: NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2313.src.rpm and NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2313.i386.rpm. But these wern't on the NVidia site so I had to get them from somewere else.

What that says is, you need the files NVIDIA_kernel and NVIDIA_GLX. Not those old versions, the newest ones you can find.

Quote:
But whats all this about detonator drivers? Could you please send the link to the ones I need.

NVIDIA_kernel and NVIDIA_GLX are the Detonator drivers. It's what Nvidia calls their video card drivers. Without these, you can't run OpenGL apps.

http://nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_display_1.0-2960

Quote:
This may sound silly, but I don't really understand this line. Is the kernel source the "NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2313.src.rpm" or something else? What is "glibc-kernelheaders"?
The Kernel source is the Linux kernel which is seperate and different then the Nvidia kernel. glibc-kernelheaders are on one of the CD's and and are the header files for the Linux kernel.

Quote:
When I tried to install the kernel and glx rpms, the kernel rpm worked, but I got this error on the GLX rpm:

Error: failed dependencies
NVIDIA_kernel is needed by NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2313.i386.rpm

Also what is GCC?
It's a C compiler: http://gcc.gnu.org/

You'll need to install it off the CD to "make install" the drivers if you install using the tar version instead of the rpms.

Install the Nvidia kernel using the Kernel Tar File on Nvidia's site at the bottom of the page. I've never gotten any rpm's for this.
Old 09-04-02, 08:21 AM   #7
shaun680

OK, so now I presume by "kernel source" you mean the RPM "kernel-source*.rpm" on RedHat CD2 in the same directory as "glibc-kernheaders.rpm". When I tried to install kernel-source it came up with:

error: failed dependencies
gcc <= 2.96 needed by kernel-source*.rpm

(or words to that effect).

How can i fix this? (sorry if I'm being a pain)
Old 09-05-02, 01:27 AM   #8
tandlj

Send a message via ICQ to tandlj

I too struggled with this situation (ie having to install the nvidia drivers on an nforce chipset PC with intergrated LAN, video and sound to make RH7.3 work).

In the end I started from scratch again and installed the 'development tools' (at the install screen where, for example, KDE or Gnome) - that got rid of all the gcc, kernel-header and related issues and errors.

Also, I used the source (ie SRC.RPM) files for all three packages (ie the nvidia kernel, GLX and the nforce driver 0241) and compiled them. That still left updates of the XFree86 and modules config files ... but I got it to work, even though it took three months elapsed (I am a week-end newbie...).

Good luck!
Joseph
tandlj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-02, 01:48 AM   #9
rtz

Quote:
error: failed dependencies
gcc <= 2.96 needed by kernel-source*.rpm

(or words to that effect).

How can i fix this?
That's Linux dependency hell. Have to start chasing them down. Install what it needs until you can install what YOU need.

Install gcc. Then whatever else it needs. Don't give up now because your really close to getting them installed. Like the post above me said, if you ever install again, install the "developer tools" and it will install all this stuff so you don't have too. I didn't know about that either, so thanks for the tip/info. I'll be sure to do that next time I install.

People talk about Windows .dll hell. I think Linux dependency hell is worse. I've never had any dll problems in all my Windows years.
Old 09-05-02, 04:02 PM   #10
shaun680

OK, I reintalled Linux and i couldnt find Developer or Development tools or anything, so I went to custom install, clicked EVERYTHING and also installed every package there was going on the install. So as it stands now its a clean install.

So now all I need to do is install Nforce, NVIDIA_kernel and NVIDIA_GLX , and then edit XF86Config-4 in that order yeah? Or do I still need gcc?

I just don't want to do anything wrong and have to reinstall again!

Shaun
Old 09-05-02, 04:42 PM   #11
rtz

Quote:
install Nforce, NVIDIA_kernel and NVIDIA_GLX , and then edit XF86Config-4 in that order
That's all that's needed. GCC should already be installed. You only need it if you run make install.
Old 09-06-02, 10:40 AM   #12
shaun680

Installed them all, but on the kernel rpm it said that it couldnt initialize the NVdriver for loads of files (the same error for about 15 files) but then at the end said "NVdriver installed sucessfully"

I tried to startx anyway and this came up still:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(EE) Screens found, but none have a useable configuration

Fatal screens error:
no screens found

This does seem to contradict itself

No more dependency errors though (yet)

Shaun