Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-29-06, 04:27 PM   #1
mizvekov
Matheus

Default ReducedBlanking support

I'm trying to use monitor option ReducedBlanking, but then i get this on the log file:
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Option "ReducedBlanking" is not used
Does this means the nvidia driver cant support this? If thats the case, is anyone working on this for the next release?
mizvekov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-06, 04:52 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: ReducedBlanking support

"ReducedBlanking" is not a valid NVIDIA X driver option. What is the problem that you're trying to solve? Additionally, please generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-06, 04:53 PM   #3
pe1chl

I have a "ReducedBlanking" monitor and it works without that option.
I think it is not needed. The timing is derived from the EDID info and/or the modeline.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-06, 05:38 PM   #4
mizvekov
Matheus

With the same videocard/monitor, in windows xp i can do 1920x1200@75Hz. Ive tried to make that work as well under xorg, but the problem is, although the monitor reports a maximal pixelclock rate of 400Mhz, the card or something else caps it at 190Mhz. Ive calculated the modeline for 1920x1200@75Hz and its something aound 235Mhz. Ive hoped that enabling reducedblanking would get me some more bandwidth, thinking that it works in windows because it does just that.

PS: excuse for messy xorg.conf
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (23.2 KB, 119 views)
Old 08-29-06, 05:43 PM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

According to your bug report, you're requesting a 1600x1200 mode, and that's what you're getting. If you want something else, you'd need to request it in the Screen section of xorg.conf.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 08-29-06, 05:52 PM   #6
mizvekov
Matheus

Yeah i know, i'm not asking for 1920x1200 because that doesnt works. Nothing really changes in the xorg.x.log file if i ask for 1920x1200 except the obvious stuff. It even runs, but i lose some pixels at the right side of the screen, getting a bright white line and some garbage there. but that is expected since im violating the max pixel clock limit of something.
Old 08-29-06, 06:00 PM   #7
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I guess I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish. What mode & refresh rate do you want to use? Also, please start X with the following command:
startx -- -logverbose 6

and then generate a new bug report.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 08-29-06, 06:23 PM   #8
pe1chl

From what I find on the net, it is a 4:3 CRT, and it has a maximum resolution of 1600x1200.
Why would you want to run it at 1920x1200? That is a widescreen resolution.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-06, 08:35 PM   #9
mizvekov
Matheus

What im trying to acomplish is succesfully using mode 1920x1200@75Hz in X.

I know this resolution is not 4:3, but it doesnt bother me that the aspect is a bit off. This is the maximal resolution i know this monitor can do with at least 75Hz of vert refresh. Less than that hurts my eyes a bit.

I know it can do this resolution because it works out of the box in windows xp, and i dont have to tweak anything there.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (29.7 KB, 116 views)
Old 08-30-06, 10:00 PM   #10
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

1920x1200@75Hz doesn't appear in the EDID for your display. The modeline that you're attempting to use is 77.6Hz, not 75Hz, however according to the X log, that's what you're getting. I'm not clear why you think its not working.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 08-30-06, 11:31 PM   #11
mizvekov
Matheus

Well as i said already, X starts fine, the problem is that i lose a vertical band at the far right. This band is all black and has a bright white line with some garbage at the left of it. From my experience, that means im exceding pixelclock rate limit. I know the modeline is for 77hz, but i tried 75hz with same results. My first though to solve the problem was that in windows the nvidia driver was using the reducedblanking option to get some more bandwidth, and so i had to do the same in linux. Any ideas?
Old 08-31-06, 03:48 AM   #12
pgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizvekov
Well as i said already, X starts fine, the problem is that i lose a vertical band at the far right. This band is all black and has a bright white line with some garbage at the left of it. From my experience, that means im exceding pixelclock rate limit. I know the modeline is for 77hz, but i tried 75hz with same results. My first though to solve the problem was that in windows the nvidia driver was using the reducedblanking option to get some more bandwidth, and so i had to do the same in linux. Any ideas?
You can try to use cvt (cvt.c in a search engine will find it), which has the option "-r" in order to generate a modeline with reduced blanking.
In my experience it works sometimes, depending on the monitor.

Hope this helps.
pgs is offline   Reply With Quote