Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-31-06, 02:56 AM   #1
rok_o

Unhappy Geforece Go 7600 fan problem

I have toshiba P100 (or. P105 in US) laptop and it has Go 7600 card in it. I had no problems installing drivers on Suse 10.1 and everything worked great. But then i noticed something that scared me a bit. GPU temp was allways over 80C . Under Windows this temps are from 50-60C. So i noticed that the graphics fan never works. The only option is that i completely turn ACPI off. Then the fans are allways on. Not very plesant as you can imagine. So i did a lot of research on this issue and it seems that a lot of other people with geforce 7 series laptop cards have same problem. At first i tought it is ACPI related problem, but then i uninstaled nvidia driver under windows and found out that fans didnt spin either . So it has to be driver role to spin the fans. But as it seems under linux this fan control doesnt work. So here are my questions.

Does anybody here have same problem?
Is there some way to control fans ? (i tried searching /proc and /sys to find some interface, but no luck. Even tried nvclock...card not supported)
Is powermizer working under linux?
Does nvidia even support mobile chips with linux driver?

I would be happy if fan on graphics card would be on as long i could use ACPI.
rok_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-06, 07:22 PM   #2
rienko

Default Re: Geforece Go 7600 fan problem

I have a similar model a P100-p195 with a 7900,
In windows everything runs fine, but when I boot ubuntu drake the fans shout down, making the laptop run very very hot.
I noticed on nvidia-settings that the core threshold is set to 115 degrees, I think this is too hi.

I could live with the noise of the fan allways on, the hot that's something I can not.

So a way to control de fans would be nice.
rienko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-06, 10:00 PM   #3
whig
550Ti

Search for nvclock. It's on sourceforge and is mentioned a few times in these forums.
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-06, 04:57 AM   #4
Thunderbird

Nvclock can adjust the fanspeed on lots of GeforceFX/6/7 models but it can't adjust the fanspeed on laptops. Laptop cooling solutions aren't connected to the gpu and are more integrated with the rest of the system. There is some tool to adjust the fanspeed for some laptops but I forget its name.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-06, 10:39 AM   #5
rienko

Nvclock doesn't even recognize the GPU, and as Thunderbird said it won't change fans on laptops. I'm currently running with acpi=off, which keeps the fans running and keeps the laptop cool, but I lose all kinds of important information like battery meters.
rienko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-06, 01:57 PM   #6
Thunderbird

If you are using nvclock 0.8 beta2 it should recognize it.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 01:42 AM   #7
rok_o

I tried with nvclock and it doesnt work. There is a massage that there is no fans to control or something like that. And i tried latest version (nvclock 0.8 beta2).
Old 12-01-06, 08:43 PM   #8
shaundennie

I've got this same problem (P105-SP6022 w/7900GS GO) and, over the last week, have tried various fixes to get around the acpi=off trick (because a laptop with no ACPI isn't that fun). Here's what I've found so far:

1) The fan can't be controlled by nvclock (at the moment) because the card uses a Maxim MAX6659 sensor. That sensor only provides support for temperature readings and not for fan control (http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/2578).

2) Whatever "thing" being used to control the fan is not detectable by lm-sensors and no amount of googling has turned up anything useful on this front.

3) I disassembled (and fixed) the DSDT and noticed that it does actually recognize that it's running on linux however it takes no action based on that. The only optional actions it takes are based on Vista (which it calls "Windows 2006") and booting with acpi_os_name="Windows 2006" has no effect.

4) There is something that, in my ACPI novice eyes, looks to be a VFAN device (which I read as video fan) in the embedded controller section of the DSDT but, I have no idea if that's actually the case and I'm afraid to even try to figure out how to read from it.

That's all the info I've found so far. I'm getting into Super Speculation Territory here as I know approximately nothing about driver development but, my guess is that on Windows, the modified Toshiba nvidia driver is constantly polling the MAX6659 sensor and then writing something into it's own embedded controller (maybe at the address of VFAN) that is controlling the fan.

So, I don't *think* it's a problem with the nvidia drivers but instead with Toshiba simply not telling nvidia how to control the fans they are using on their nvidia based laptops. I'd petition them to try to get the information but, I don't think I'd have much luck.

Has anyone at nvidia talked to Toshiba about why their GO series cards don't work on linux? Are they simply not willing to share the address at which one has to write 0x00 and 0xff to turn the fan on and off?
shaundennie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-06, 08:30 AM   #9
rok_o

Well you came to pretty much the same conclusions as i did. I tried to change VFAN part of DSDT, but with no success. I even studied the MAX 6659, but i then realized that nvidia driver on windows turns the fan on. If i only knew what nvidia (modified by toshiba) does to turn fan on. WIth that information i would be able to write a driver for graphics fan activation.
It happened once that GPU fan ran all the time at low speed, and i must say that it was pleasant because i didnt have bursts at high speed when temp reaches 60C. At that time i was able to use linux without a problem. But all at the sudden everything went back as it was before. If toshiba would give this option in bios (low fan speed all the time) we would be able to use linux. And i agree, toshiba should give some minimum specification how to turn fans......everything else would be done by linux community.
Old 01-16-07, 03:52 PM   #10
johnnyrae

You were on the right track with the DSDT issues. I just fixed mine, a Toshiba Satellite P105-S9312 w/ a GeForce Go 7900 GS. I've been experiencing the same fan problem you are describing for weeks. I followed the instructions in this discussion here ->

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p...1.html#3774561

My fan is now working perfectly.

Good Luck.
johnnyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 04:51 PM   #11
rok_o

In the mean time i managed to fix mine to as you did, by changing DSDT tables....and now even my sound works as it should.
Is your fan running all the time at low speed or is speed changing?
Old 01-17-07, 02:09 PM   #12
johnnyrae

It changes speeds on occasion, but it does seem to stay on all the time at a low speed.
johnnyrae is offline   Reply With Quote