Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-01-07, 05:53 AM   #13
Tyriel

Default Re: Geforece Go 7600 fan problem

Hey guys, I too am having problems with my fan not working with the nvidia drivers installed under linux. I have a Toshiba P105-9312 with the GeForce 7900 Go, bios 3.30 and am wondering if any of you can please share your working .aml file.

Unfortunately I have had little luck with this and am hoping I could get some help from you guys that have solved this issue.
Tyriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 02:25 PM   #14
shaundennie

I believe that most people have not had success using the 3.30 bios and are sticking with the 2.40 bios. If you downgrade to 2.40 (assuming that's possible with your model) the attached DSDT.aml causes my 7900GS Go card's fan to work. If you are running Ubuntu, simply unzipping the file and putting it into /etc/initramfs-tools, running "sudo dpkg-reconfigure usplash" and rebooting should make everything work.

(The usplash thing is just a simple way to force the rebuilding of the initrd for the currently running kernel. There are many other ways to do this but, this is the one I always remember).
Attached Files
File Type: gz DSDT.aml.gz (10.1 KB, 296 views)
shaundennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 08:55 AM   #15
krantix

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaundennie
I believe that most people have not had success using the 3.30 bios and are sticking with the 2.40 bios. If you downgrade to 2.40 (assuming that's possible with your model) the attached DSDT.aml causes my 7900GS Go card's fan to work. If you are running Ubuntu, simply unzipping the file and putting it into /etc/initramfs-tools, running "sudo dpkg-reconfigure usplash" and rebooting should make everything work.

(The usplash thing is just a simple way to force the rebuilding of the initrd for the currently running kernel. There are many other ways to do this but, this is the one I always remember).
is there a way to correct the problem with BIOS 3.5??? i can get sound working by editing my dsdt.... but my card is very hot (120!)
krantix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 10:01 PM   #16
shaundennie

Quote:
Originally Posted by krantix
is there a way to correct the problem with BIOS 3.5??? i can get sound working by editing my dsdt.... but my card is very hot (120!)
I don't see a 3.5 BIOS available for download but, if you are referring to the 3.3 BIOS, it sounds like people have had very little luck getting it to work. The P100 series of laptops have really poor linux support and Toshiba is thoroughly useless when it comes to helping linux users. If your laptop supports the 2.4 BIOS, you are best off downgrading to that or, if not, running with acpi=off.
Old 05-10-07, 03:24 AM   #17
krantix

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaundennie
I don't see a 3.5 BIOS available for download but, if you are referring to the 3.3 BIOS, it sounds like people have had very little luck getting it to work. The P100 series of laptops have really poor linux support and Toshiba is thoroughly useless when it comes to helping linux users. If your laptop supports the 2.4 BIOS, you are best off downgrading to that or, if not, running with acpi=off.
the laptop is very new (P100-PAPAGE)... and has bios 3.5... i will wait for a patched dsdt.... :-(
krantix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 01:52 PM   #18
nvnews-annexion

I have had a Toshiba Satellite PSPADU-033026 for about 4 months and have been having the same problem: The fan won't turn on unless I disable ACPI--not really an option on a laptop. Without the fan, the card will get _very_ hot even during casual use: upwards of 75 Celsius. I wouldn't dare try to use Beryl or anything intensive until this is fixed for fear of melting the card, or worse: catching fire!

Toshiba ships the system with their Satellite v3.5 BIOS, but still hasn't posted this code on their support site (only v3.3 is available). According to the numerous posts about this issue, it seems that v3.3 suffers from similar problems. It is irrelevant anyhow, as the Phoenix BIOS flash utility (pflash16.exe) will not allow a downgrade of the BIOS to 3.3 or 2.4, regardless of whether you use the switches to force a downgrade. Toshiba tech. support has confirmed this as well. Apparently they have tricked out the BIOS so that you can only go to newer releases. Nice job! As another angry aside, they have also removed other useful BIOS menu items, such as enabling / disabling Intel VT extensions. Of course, the machine ships with VT _disabled_ and don't offer a utility to toggle this bit. Thanks! Apparently you can only use their hardware as _they_ intend you to use it. Their technical support team has more or less confirmed this as well. Use Vista, or else. So, I am stuck with this "Vista-ready" v3.5 BIOS and apparently broken DSDT.

I am running OpenSuse 10.2 with the vanilla kernel for 10.2: 2.6.18.2-34-default #1 SMP. I have also tried newer kernels such as 2.6.20.2-86-default from the OpenSuse release factory. This got me no further with my issues or endless investigation (obsession?) with this problem.

I have contacted Toshiba multiple times, but they are _zero_ assistance, becuase I am not running Vista.

I extracted the DSDT tables from Vista and compared them to /proc/acpi/dsdt under Linux, but of course they are the same, because the DSDT is read from BIOS when the OS boots.

I used the hand-dandy DSDT extract, repair, compile, override method, as recommended in the Gentoo wiki (http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Fix_Common_ACPI_Problems). That made my sound card work, but the Nvidia fan still doesn't turn on. In is interesting to note that the fans are on *prior* to booting any OS, but as soon as grub hands off control to Linux, the fans shut off and the cooking begins.

So, while reading all of this, you are probably thinking, "why are you posting here? This is a _Toshiba_ problem!" Read on... there are a few more interesting details...

I believe this to be an _Nvidia_ driver issue, because of observed behavior under Vista. Under Vista, the Toshiba-supplied Nvidia 7600 driver turns the fan on as needed, changes fan speed in response to temperature, etc. Keep in mind, that under Vista you are using the same _broken_ DSDT / ACPI information with the same v3.5 BIOS, but using whatever code Nvidia has supplied to Toshiba to make the card work properly. Under Linux, even using the latest Nvidia Linux driver release: 100.14.09, the fan _does not_ come on.

I suppose it is possible that this issue is related to ACPI support in the Linux kernel or perhaps there is a communications problem between the Maxim 1617 chipset on the Nvidia 7600 and the Linux kernel, but yet I _am_ able to get temperature reads using nvidia-settings and nvclock... So Nvidia has code to communicate with this card. Why no fan control?!? Hell, I’d even be satisfied with an rc script forcing the fan on at all times at this point. Does anyone at Nvidia have any suggestions on how to further troubleshoot this thing?

I contacted Nvidia customer service explaining my situation in hopes of reaching a technician or Linux developer, but after pondering about it for a couple of weeks they directed me to this forum, stating, "We're sorry, but we are not able to address Linux installation, usage and troubleshooting questions... Please refer to Linux support (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14)."

Is this an official Nvidia forum that is monitored by Nvidia developers and technicians? I was under the impression that it is an independently run forum.

Any help that anyone can offer would be appreciated. Let me know if you need (or want) any further info... (See attached nvidia-bug-report.log as well).

-Justin P. Linenkohl
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (100.9 KB, 213 views)

Last edited by nvnews-annexion; 06-17-07 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Added nvidia-bug-report.log
nvnews-annexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 03:24 PM   #19
shaundennie

Unfortunately, I'm almost positive that it's a Toshiba problem. The way I understand it is that nvidia ships them reference boards and then they are free to modify them however they like. When I first bought my machine it had Windows XP installed and I went to download the latest drivers direct from nvidia and when I went to install, it said it couldn't find a valid nvidia card or something. If you look here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_mobile_84.63.html you'll see that Toshiba machines aren't supported by the nvidia driver. You have to download the driver direct from Toshiba. Basically, they have modified the boards that nvidia gave them in such a way to make the cooling mechanism non-standard and then written a BIOS hack/driver mod to make it work.

I've tried many things to figure out how to actually control the fan (including doing custom mods to the DSDT) but, DSDT code is pretty cryptic and the only thing I have actually accomplished is to once cause my machine to white screen shortly after bootup and stay that way until I removed the battery for half an hour. To be honest, I'm pretty sure I understand what they are doing to control the fan but, after the white screen incident, I'm happy (and lucky enough) to just be able to keep the fan on low at all times (2.4 BIOS). If you want to risk it, open up the DSDT code and start looking at the areas of the code that refer to VTMP. I'm almost positive that's what's controlling the fan (just too scared to mess with it any more). You may also want to grab the code for an older BIOS and see what the diffs are (specifically with VTMP).
Old 06-17-07, 03:58 PM   #20
shaundennie

Attached is the original (not modified to compile correctly) dsdt.dsl for my machine. At line 3943 you'll see a few hacks for Vista (OSYS 0x07D6). I'm nearly positive these hacks are what turn on the fan. My guess is that they found a better way to handle Vista (which hadn't been released at the time of the 2.4 BIOS) and so removed the hacks from newer BIOSes. Porting the hacks to the newer BIOS will probably work (but, I make no garauntees. It may also cause your machine to explode).

Good luck.
Attached Files
File Type: gz dsdt.dsl.gz (19.5 KB, 198 views)

Old 06-17-07, 07:30 PM   #21
nvnews-annexion

Talking Re: Geforece Go 7600 fan problem

shaundennie, thanks! All I needed was one more nudge in the right direction. After having worked on this on and off for 4 months, I can't tell you how sweet success is.

I've actually gotten somewhat comfortable monkeying around in the ACPI scripting language...of course, it helps to have a copy of the appropriate spec too. See: http://www.acpi.info/spec30a.htm

Btw, you shouldn't have to worry about nuking your machine when swapping out the DSDT under Linux... Of course, you may cause yourself some issues when booting a bad DSDT, so I recommend having multiple initrd images that you can select from your grub boot menu. Then you don't have to fly without a safety net.

After diffing your original ASL against my changes and notes, I saw what you were talking about re: VTMP, and decided to give my DSDT a (w)hack or two.

I observed a few things (keep in mind this is Satellite P100 BIOS v3.5):

1) You can make the "static" value change to VTMP in either the _REG() method or in the NVIF() method and get the same results... a fan that is constantly on and a GPU at about 47 Celsius. Nice.

2) Changes to VTMP in the WSBC() method seem to make no difference. This makes sense, however, because this method belongs to the AMW0 namespace (a device with PNP ID PNP0C14). This is apparently a WMI device which of course only matters under Windows.

3) Based on my testing so far, it appears that the value of VTMP is inversely proportional to fan speed. This doesn't really make sense to me, as I thought it would be just the opposite. Perhaps VTMP doesn't mean "current video temperature". Anyway, I tried cranking it up from 3C to 41 and then to 46 (thinking this would mean 60 Celsius, 65 Celsius and then 70 Celsius), however the fan actually runs slower as the value increases. With VTMP at 3C, the fan runs at a nice medium speed and does a sufficient job at keeping things cool.

4) It would be wonderful to have a user-mode program under Linux to control the value in VTMP. With the right documentation, I'd be happy to write one in C. If anyone has suggestions or experience in this area, let me know.

I have attached both the original ASL and my latest hack which includes my changes to make the GPU fan, sound card and other devices to function. Hopefully it will prove useful to others.

Thanks again for your reply. It made me look in just the right place!

-Justin P. Linenkohl
Attached Files
File Type: zip dsdt-const_temp.zip (26.8 KB, 313 views)
File Type: zip dsdt-orig.zip (26.6 KB, 265 views)
nvnews-annexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 07:40 PM   #22
shaundennie

Glad to help and glad it worked. I actually tried to figure out how to write something to control the fan speed when I got my white screen problem (do NOT write 0xFF into VTMP) and then got freaked out enough to just let things be. Let me know if you want to try to write something for it and I'll be happy to help any way I can.
Old 08-16-07, 02:49 AM   #23
shroomy726

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrae
You were on the right track with the DSDT issues. I just fixed mine, a Toshiba Satellite P105-S9312 w/ a GeForce Go 7900 GS. I've been experiencing the same fan problem you are describing for weeks. I followed the instructions in this discussion here ->

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p...1.html#3774561

My fan is now working perfectly.

Good Luck.
Hi

I also have a Toshiba P105-S9312 and I've had it for a year now. It always had the problem where the left side gets really hot, but I always thought it was normal. I also noticed throughout the year that the fan almost never kicks in, just like you guys described. And lately my computer stutters a lot especially in games. So I was wondering if any of you guys could help me with this problem since it seems as if you fixed it succesfully. I tried to follow the instructions on the link above but I am a NOOB when it comes to this stuff. I dont even know what DSDT tables mean or anything like that. So if anyone will pleaseeeeeee help me solve this and give me some detailed instructions to make my fan work that would be AWESOME.

Thank you in advance.

Lionel
shroomy726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-07, 02:54 PM   #24
shaundennie

You'll need to find out what version of the BIOS you have. You can get that information by hitting F2 when you restart the computer to enter to BIOS config. Once you have that, it's probably just a matter of downloading a pre-fixed dsdt and putting it in a place where the kernel will load it up at boot time. It will depend on what distribution you are running though. I'd also recommend getting some canned air and spraying that into the vents once you've got the dsdt fix working. I did that after a year of using my laptop and the temperatures dropped dramatically.