Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-16-07, 05:15 PM   #25
shroomy726

Default Re: Geforece Go 7600 fan problem

shaundennie,

Thank you so much for your swift reply!

First of all, let me tell you my specs. I have a P105-S9312 running on Windows XP SP2. I installed the BIOS version from Toshiba's site (3.30) but it wasn't working too well, so I reversed back to 2.40.

So where can I get this pre-fixed DSDT (I have no idea what that is) and how do I put it into the kernel (also don't what that is)? I quoted johnnyrae because he has the same comp as me so maybe he can give me detailed instructions on how to get the fan working properly. I did notice that this thread is for Linux?

About the spray can, I think I will take the laptop to a Comp USA and let them clean it for 20$. I would do it but buying all the equipment is more expensive...

Anyways, I hope you can help me! Thanks again.

Lionel
shroomy726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-07, 05:40 PM   #26
shaundennie

Right. This is a linux thread. You shouldn't need to do any of this if you are running Windows. It sounds to me like the machine probably just needs a cleaning.
shaundennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-07, 06:16 PM   #27
shroomy726

Yeah, maybe that's it. I have only had it for a year, although there was a lot of dust in my previous apartment. I think I will take it to COMP USA, I just hope they don't **** my computer up.

I also just bought a cooling pad and so far it has helped a lot.

It would be interesting to see what johnny has to say. I will try to send him an e-mail.

Thank you for your help man!

Lionel
shroomy726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-07, 08:29 PM   #28
Hermie

Can some one help I am a newbie with Linux my system is a Toshiba P105 - 9722 Bios 3.8 I copied the dsdt-const_temp.dsl file to /etc/initramfs-tools
and from terminal window typed "dpkg reconfigure usplash" the system paused for a few seconds and then the Fan kicked in (big smiles) so i rebooted as previously directed and all was well with Fan but sadly "No Sound" OS is Linux Ubuntu 7.04 I think latest release anyway and want to also try SUSU but need sound so your help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Hermie; 09-06-07 at 09:21 PM.
Hermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-07, 11:25 PM   #29
LuisC-SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvnews-annexion
I have had a Toshiba Satellite PSPADU-033026 for about 4 months and have been having the same problem: The fan won't turn on unless I disable ACPI--not really an option on a laptop. Without the fan, the card will get _very_ hot even during casual use: upwards of 75 Celsius. I wouldn't dare try to use Beryl or anything intensive until this is fixed for fear of melting the card, or worse: catching fire!

Toshiba ships the system with their Satellite v3.5 BIOS, but still hasn't posted this code on their support site (only v3.3 is available). According to the numerous posts about this issue, it seems that v3.3 suffers from similar problems. It is irrelevant anyhow, as the Phoenix BIOS flash utility (pflash16.exe) will not allow a downgrade of the BIOS to 3.3 or 2.4, regardless of whether you use the switches to force a downgrade. Toshiba tech. support has confirmed this as well. Apparently they have tricked out the BIOS so that you can only go to newer releases. Nice job! As another angry aside, they have also removed other useful BIOS menu items, such as enabling / disabling Intel VT extensions. Of course, the machine ships with VT _disabled_ and don't offer a utility to toggle this bit. Thanks! Apparently you can only use their hardware as _they_ intend you to use it. Their technical support team has more or less confirmed this as well. Use Vista, or else. So, I am stuck with this "Vista-ready" v3.5 BIOS and apparently broken DSDT.

I am running OpenSuse 10.2 with the vanilla kernel for 10.2: 2.6.18.2-34-default #1 SMP. I have also tried newer kernels such as 2.6.20.2-86-default from the OpenSuse release factory. This got me no further with my issues or endless investigation (obsession?) with this problem.

I have contacted Toshiba multiple times, but they are _zero_ assistance, becuase I am not running Vista.

I extracted the DSDT tables from Vista and compared them to /proc/acpi/dsdt under Linux, but of course they are the same, because the DSDT is read from BIOS when the OS boots.

I used the hand-dandy DSDT extract, repair, compile, override method, as recommended in the Gentoo wiki (http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Fix_Common_ACPI_Problems). That made my sound card work, but the Nvidia fan still doesn't turn on. In is interesting to note that the fans are on *prior* to booting any OS, but as soon as grub hands off control to Linux, the fans shut off and the cooking begins.

So, while reading all of this, you are probably thinking, "why are you posting here? This is a _Toshiba_ problem!" Read on... there are a few more interesting details...

I believe this to be an _Nvidia_ driver issue, because of observed behavior under Vista. Under Vista, the Toshiba-supplied Nvidia 7600 driver turns the fan on as needed, changes fan speed in response to temperature, etc. Keep in mind, that under Vista you are using the same _broken_ DSDT / ACPI information with the same v3.5 BIOS, but using whatever code Nvidia has supplied to Toshiba to make the card work properly. Under Linux, even using the latest Nvidia Linux driver release: 100.14.09, the fan _does not_ come on.

I suppose it is possible that this issue is related to ACPI support in the Linux kernel or perhaps there is a communications problem between the Maxim 1617 chipset on the Nvidia 7600 and the Linux kernel, but yet I _am_ able to get temperature reads using nvidia-settings and nvclock... So Nvidia has code to communicate with this card. Why no fan control?!? Hell, Id even be satisfied with an rc script forcing the fan on at all times at this point. Does anyone at Nvidia have any suggestions on how to further troubleshoot this thing?

I contacted Nvidia customer service explaining my situation in hopes of reaching a technician or Linux developer, but after pondering about it for a couple of weeks they directed me to this forum, stating, "We're sorry, but we are not able to address Linux installation, usage and troubleshooting questions... Please refer to Linux support (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14)."

Is this an official Nvidia forum that is monitored by Nvidia developers and technicians? I was under the impression that it is an independently run forum.

Any help that anyone can offer would be appreciated. Let me know if you need (or want) any further info... (See attached nvidia-bug-report.log as well).

-Justin P. Linenkohl
Hi.

A little bit late to say that you probabily are wrong (PROBABILY)
take a look to this fix by Martin LORANG
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...-start-75.html
This fixed my fan 2 weeks ago on ubuntu 7.04 (but not on gutsy)
Regards
Luis
LuisC-SM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-07, 11:34 PM   #30
LuisC-SM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermie
Can some one help I am a newbie with Linux my system is a Toshiba P105 - 9722 Bios 3.8 I copied the dsdt-const_temp.dsl file to /etc/initramfs-tools
and from terminal window typed "dpkg reconfigure usplash" the system paused for a few seconds and then the Fan kicked in (big smiles) so i rebooted as previously directed and all was well with Fan but sadly "No Sound" OS is Linux Ubuntu 7.04 I think latest release anyway and want to also try SUSU but need sound so your help would be appreciated.
Sorry for answering too late
Your fix is in this thread:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...-start-25.html
look for chazz, he's got the same model as you do.
Regards
Luis
LuisC-SM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 11:13 PM   #31
nvnews-annexion

I recently felt brave and decided to install Toshiba's Satellite P100 BIOS v4.2 (released 11/21/2007). According to the release notes they added "64-bit OS support". Now I can finally use the 4GB of memory I have installed.

The memory may have shown up in earlier BIOS releases...I skipped 3.8 and 4.0.

Anyway, I have attached the original v4.2 DSDT source and my modified version. Makes sound, acpi, nvidia fan, etc. work "properly".

Have fun!

-Justin P. Linenkohl
Attached Files
File Type: gz dsdt-const_temp-4.2.tar.gz (53.0 KB, 243 views)
nvnews-annexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 05:39 AM   #32
upstaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvnews-annexion
I recently felt brave and decided to install Toshiba's Satellite P100 BIOS v4.2 (released 11/21/2007).
This doesn't work for me... Satellite P100 (PSPAGE), bios 4.20:
~$ nvclock -T
nVidia Geforce Go 7900GS
=> GPU temperature: 105C
=> Board temperature: 87C

Along with some other DSDT hacks, I did your Store (0x3C, \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC0.VTMP). Simply no change from before: when overheated and rebooting, gpu fan starts blowing like a tornado, and dies off instantly when X starts (just before the nvidia logo pops up).

Then it never starts up again, and here i am with a > 100 celsius GPU.

I did manage to have the gpu fan spinning constantly until kernel 2.6.23 (i think), and hacking VTMP had nothing to do with it. Does this still work for you? What kernel?
upstaked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-07-08, 09:33 AM   #33
upstaked

Later findings: this _IS_ an nvidia driver issue. Fan goes on and off without the nvidia driver.

In tty or when running X with the nv driver, it gets hot up to ~90 degrees, then fan kicks in, brings it down to ~70, and so on. Now the DSDT has a Store (0x1E) in the VTMP, both under NVIF() and _REG(), but I'm really not sure if it makes any difference (should try running vanilla DSDT without the nvidia module).

I've been testing this with 169.12, 169.09, 100.14.19 and the legacy 96.43.05. Under all of them, fan suddenly stops at starting X when the nvidia module takes over.

Still, I do remember a time when the fan would stay constantly running. What's different from back then, is that without a hacked DSDT (the vista OSYS test), fan would stop instantly when the kernel acpi loaded.

With a hacked DSDT, I'd have to overheat the gpu under linux, boot under windows (while the bios-controlled fan was blowing like crazy), reboot back to linux, and the fan would keep running. But that was back then.

Guess I'll file a bug report and test something older from the 100.xx series.
upstaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 05:04 PM   #34
BugsB

Hello fellow Toshiba P10x Users !

Would anybody else like Justin aka nvnews-annexion please post their working .dsl files (best along with the BIOS version + the wph if available)? That would honestly be a very big help .

If you want to know what we are doing, look here.

Thanks & greetings to all of you,
BugsB
BugsB is offline   Reply With Quote