Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-04-06, 02:14 AM   #1
PeterJensen

Default News regarding Vista release.

Just got word from HP and Microsoft denmark that the, RTM (release to manufacturing) of Windows Vista, is currently slated for the second half of October 2006.
This means that the final build of Vista WILL be out to OEM in Oktober. Also MS will support RC1 of vista with updates until 2007.
So look for leaks in Oktober, and G80 soon after?
Old 09-04-06, 02:21 AM   #2
PeterJensen

Default Re: News regarding Vista release.

Also i would like to quote Paul Thurrott from his insanely nice site : www.winsupersite.com .

Quote:
Final thoughts
Back in my Beta 2 compatibility report, I noted that Vista was "still not ready to be used as your sole OS, and should only be installed in a dual-boot situation with XP, or on a dedicated test system." The reasons were varied, but included performance problems and compatibility issues. Today, with RC1, those issues have largely been resolved. Windows Vista performs admirably, and the 32-bit versions offer amazing hardware and software compatibility, even compared with XP. So should you just drop XP and go fully Vista with RC1? No, of course not. But this is going to be the line in the sand for a lot of people, the time when it will be possible to stay in Vista longer than in XP. And over time, as your XP usage drops off, you'll find yourself not missing XP at all. You'll be unhappy when you do have to boot into XP for some random reason.

Windows Vista RC1 is a huge improvement over previous Vista versions, and compatibility plays a big part in that success. This is now one less thing to worry about when migrating to the next Windows.

--Paul Thurrott
September 3, 2006
Old 09-04-06, 02:50 AM   #3
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Yup It's coming fast, Now NV just needs to get their drivers up to speed, and I will switch over to Vista.
Old 09-04-06, 03:07 AM   #4
PeterJensen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
Yup It's coming fast, Now NV just needs to get their drivers up to speed, and I will switch over to Vista.
I installed Vista RC1 yesterday with the new nvidia drivers and Creative X-FI drivers. Still problems with some games, but HL2 runs just as great as in XP.
I really love Vista RC1.
Old 09-04-06, 11:17 PM   #5
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Yea I am running Vista as a primary O.S. on my laptop, it runs fantastic, and I would move it to my main system, but the driver issues are what is holding me back, if Nvidia can get some decent SLI drivers out than I may move it over

I really like Vista and I think it has made some huge advances in the right direction, the only thing I don't like about it is there is a ridiculous amount of stuff for me to disable once I install it... but, I guess for enthusiasts it will always be that way
Old 09-05-06, 07:14 AM   #6
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jAkUp
I really like Vista and I think it has made some huge advances in the right direction, the only thing I don't like about it is there is a ridiculous amount of stuff for me to disable once I install it... but, I guess for enthusiasts it will always be that way
Make sure you make a list of things that can safely be disabled. No point in the rest of us stuffing up our new Vista installs
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 02:41 PM   #7
GamerGuyX

Vista RC1 needs to hurry up and be released to the public...

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]
GamerGuyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 06:50 PM   #8
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Has anyone found out if SCUMMVM, Dosbox and VDMSound work ok under Vista RC1?
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote