Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-04-06, 09:02 PM   #1
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Default What parts of a compiled kernel do I need to drag around to compile the NVidia driver

I provide a compiled kernel for some people and so far I just got them the whole compiled /usr/src/linux-x.x.x tree if they needed to compile the binary NVidia driver.

What parts of the compiled Linux kernel source tree are needed. exactly, to compile the NVidia driver?

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-06, 10:40 PM   #2
nukem

Default Re: What parts of a compiled kernel do I need to drag around to compile the NVidia driver

Well what you could do is compile the nvidia drivers and package them for your users. People do this for many distros such as Fedora and Ubuntu inorder to keep people from having to install the kernel source.
Old 09-05-06, 05:21 AM   #3
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: What parts of a compiled kernel do I need to drag around to compile the NVidia driver

A subset of the (fully configured/prepared) kernel source files as shipped with Fedora Core's kernel-devel packages should be sufficient.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 11:29 AM   #4
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Default Re: What parts of a compiled kernel do I need to drag around to compile the NVidia dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
A subset of the (fully configured/prepared) kernel source files as shipped with Fedora Core's kernel-devel packages should be sufficient.
Well, they take the shortcut and just ship all header files. I can't believe the soundcard drive header files are needed for compiling the NVidia driver.

I cannot pre-make nvidia.ko for my users since although they all use my kernel they don't all use the same NVidia driver version.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 11:39 AM   #5
pe1chl

If you want to know what subset of headers you need, why don't you grep for #include in the driver sources?
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote