Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-05-06, 05:32 PM   #1
d13f00l

Default XVideo Issues, also, does 1080i/p/780i/p output work?

When I use mplayer -vo xv with high def video, for some reason, it jitters fairly often. My CPU usage usually hovers around 60% playing 1280x720 h264 video...so it's not that...

-vo gl -dr and -vo x11 and -vo sdl are all fine.

Does anyone else experience this? It's annoying!

Also, I'm thinking about buying a rear projection HDTV, something 60 inches or bigger. Can the linux nvidia driver output in 1080i/p/720i/p fine? Do I just need to add a modeline and manually add it to the monitor's modes?

Will a DVI to HDMI conversion cable work? It shouldn't lose image quality, it's all digital, right? It won't fall back to a lower resolution either inside the TV due to some DRM or strange security "feature", right?

My system is an athlon xp tbred b., 1.8ghz, 1g pc3200 ram, AGP 8x 6200A video card
d13f00l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 05:46 PM   #2
asdere

Default Re: XVideo Issues, also, does 1080i/p/780i/p output work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d13f00l
When I use mplayer -vo xv with high def video, for some reason, it jitters fairly often. My CPU usage usually hovers around 60% playing 1280x720 h264 video...so it's not that...

-vo gl -dr and -vo x11 and -vo sdl are all fine.

Does anyone else experience this? It's annoying!

Also, I'm thinking about buying a rear projection HDTV, something 60 inches or bigger. Can the linux nvidia driver output in 1080i/p/720i/p fine? Do I just need to add a modeline and manually add it to the monitor's modes?

Will a DVI to HDMI conversion cable work? It shouldn't lose image quality, it's all digital, right? It won't fall back to a lower resolution either inside the TV due to some DRM or strange security "feature", right?

My system is an athlon xp tbred b., 1.8ghz, 1g pc3200 ram, AGP 8x 6200A video card
8183 is the most recent release that works for me without the jitters.
asdere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-06, 06:21 PM   #3
d13f00l

Interesting. 8774 here, I have the jitter issue. I haven't paid attention to when it started.
I wonder if it is a driver bug...?
d13f00l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-06, 02:38 AM   #4
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by d13f00l
"losing image quality" and "not all digital" are two unrelated things.
It is possible to get perfect image quality using analog RGB, getting it all digital is not going to bring you a visible difference especially for situations where you don't require 1:1 pixel mapping. (i.e. viewing movies, not displaying a computer desktop)

The content producers want equipment that decodes HD content to only output HD when there are only certified components involved, and the output is encrypted (HDCP). This means that a Linux system probably will not be able to display that content in HD, and that a normal DVI output with a DVI-to-HDMI cable does not necessarily satisfy the requirements.
(you will need a display card with HDCP support and an approved OS like Windows Vista)

But will that hold back mplayer from decoding and outputting it over DVI or VGA? We will only know when it has happened...
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote