Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Choose One
NVIDIA's new products (NV31 and NV34) are not DX9 parts and their current line lacks the technology to do well 62 65.26%
3DMark03 is a poor benchmark 18 18.95%
Both, but more of option number 1 9 9.47%
Both, but more of option number 2 6 6.32%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-18-03, 03:59 PM   #61
Steppy
Radeon 10K Pro

Default Re: Re: You've completely missed the point

Quote:
Originally posted by silence
1-2 years from now???........with only ONE PARTIAL dx9 test??do i have to remind you thet first test is dx7??

3dmark03 is more like for stuff we currently have plus little peak in future........
3dmark 2k1 had ONE partial DX8 test, and RECENT games(2 years after the release of the bench)are only making partial use of DX8). I wish some people could just see repeating patterns, because we've been through this all before when 3dm2k1 hit the streets.
Old 02-18-03, 04:11 PM   #62
kyleb

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutty
They called it a game, because you could actually play it. Man, am I talking to morons here or what?
no just someone who doesn't engage in the devaluation of the industry though the use or spread of illegally obtained software. personaly i think it compleatly moronic to steal from people who have so much to offer us.
kyleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-03, 04:33 PM   #63
digitalwanderer

Default Re: Re: Re: You've completely missed the point

Quote:
Originally posted by Steppy
3dmark 2k1 had ONE partial DX8 test, and RECENT games(2 years after the release of the bench)are only making partial use of DX8). I wish some people could just see repeating patterns, because we've been through this all before when 3dm2k1 hit the streets.
Good perspective and I find meself agreeing with you over here in this thread too.

3dm2k3 is meant to stress tomorrows freaking rigs, of course it's gonna run like sludge on todays gear! nVidia is just whining because it shows their current cards weekness, they did the EXACT same thing when 3dm2k came out.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-03, 05:05 PM   #64
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by legion88
There are three general categories of performance for games. These categories are: 1) graphics, 2) CPU, and 3) impact of sound on CPU performance.

3DMark2003 measures performance in all three categories separately. Thus, as a gamer, I would know if I would require a CPU upgrade or a graphics card upgrade by comparing the scores I received to everyone else that cared to upload their scores to ORB.
the CPU test doesn't seem to be very good either, that's one of the things i've complained about.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...&threadid=7456

from Smokey's results
Duron 900MHz
CPU Test 1: 22.6
CPU Test 2: 4.4

AthlonXP 1800+
CPU Test 1: 28.3 fps
CPU Test 2: 4.5 fps
Old 02-18-03, 05:10 PM   #65
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

Quote:
no just someone who doesn't engage in the devaluation of the industry though the use or spread of illegally obtained software. personaly i think it compleatly moronic to steal from people who have so much to offer us.
True, but whats that got to do with the current thread?
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-03, 05:27 PM   #66
kyleb

Nutty, i was hoping you might understand how one might the impression that your comments about 3Dm03 are relative to nwo considering i will not get a chance to see doom3 run on a machine until it is released by the people making it. assuming 3Dm03 is acutely entirely non-interactive; i retract my previous comment and apologize for the confusion.
Old 02-18-03, 08:07 PM   #67
Myrmecophagavir

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutty
Is it interactive? No, its a rolling demo.

If it were interactive, the character would have to have head collision to stop them jumping up through ceilings. As this doesn't happen in the rolling demo, it's probably omitted.. Along with alot of other items.
But it does have a full physics engine - they made a big point of it including Ipion in 3DMark2001, and still do for 03. Just because something is non-interactive doesn't mean the optimal route to animation is manual placement of paths. The physics engine is used to calculate objects' movement in 3DMark.
Myrmecophagavir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-03, 01:03 AM   #68
Corn

Hola Roscoe, long time no see.

I can see that not much has changed the past few years.....still an irritating sob to the clueless, eh? Hah!

Anyway, it's good to see (well, read anyway ) ya again, glad to see you're still a graphics junkie.

Tom.
Corn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-03, 06:59 AM   #69
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
the CPU test doesn't seem to be very good either, that's one of the things i've complained about.

from Smokey's results
Duron 900MHz

AthlonXP 1800+
Haha yes I found that quite funny So much for a damn cpu test, cant see much of a difference between a Duron600@900 vs an AthlonXP1800+

3dmark03 results here
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-03, 01:15 PM   #70
Spiritwalker
Headstone

Send a message via ICQ to Spiritwalker Send a message via Yahoo to Spiritwalker

Lars (rivastation/Tomshardwhere) had just posted this. Totoally unexpected from him. He is know for favoring nVidia to ATi.

Good read:
http://www.tomshardware.com/column/20030219/index.html
Old 02-19-03, 02:06 PM   #71
legion88
WhatIfSports.com Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk

from Smokey's results
Duron 900MHz

AthlonXP 1800+
The 3DMark2003 CPU benchmark suffers much of the same limitation as many other CPU benchmarks. It is very much affected by such things as system memory bandwidth.

Even at same processor speeds, etc. the scores over at ORB seem to even differentiate themselves based on motherboards. But without knowing the exact specs of the memory, it is difficult to know for certain if the scores are heavily influence by the mobo. It is without question that the CPU scores are heavily influence by system memory bandwidth.

On my machine using same processor, same drivers, same FSB setting, I can get a 20% spread by simply changing the settings in the bios setting for memory latency and other specs.

In any case, here's the score on a Duron 900MHz (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=144730)
CPU Test 1: 22.6 FPS, CPU Test 2: 4.4 FPS

Here's the score on an Athlon XP 1400MHz (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=115490)
CPU Test 1: 34.3 FPS, CPU Test 2: 7.2 FPS

Another on an Athlon XP 1600Mhz (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=177334)
CPU Test 1: 40.0 FPS, CPU Test 2: 7.6 FPS

All were on a GeForce 3.

When one does a CPU test, everything is held constant--only the CPU changes. One does not go around changing video cards in addition to CPUs and claim that there's something wrong with the CPU test. There's something called drivers--you know, programs that the CPU executes.

Anyways, hello Corn!

Last edited by legion88; 02-19-03 at 02:13 PM.
legion88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-03, 02:54 PM   #72
kyleb

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiritwalker
Lars (rivastation/Tomshardwhere) had just posted this. Totoally unexpected from him. He is know for favoring nVidia to ATi.

Good read:
http://www.tomshardware.com/column/20030219/index.html

wow that was impressive for the most by far, i honestly did not expect to get such a fair comintary out of the man at this point. some of his speculation cast unfarly favorable light on the 8500/9100 in the articale though; but i sent him an email on the issue and hopefuly it will be resolved.