Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Choose One
NVIDIA's new products (NV31 and NV34) are not DX9 parts and their current line lacks the technology to do well 62 65.26%
3DMark03 is a poor benchmark 18 18.95%
Both, but more of option number 1 9 9.47%
Both, but more of option number 2 6 6.32%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-03, 08:35 AM   #85
Typedef Enum

Quote:
god it's like they can't deal with a little competition.
Think about these things...

1. Multitexturing lawsuit with 3dfx: There were strong indications that had 3dfx not folded, they could have won this lawsuit. Think about what could/would have been should this have happened.

2. Matrox lawsuit: Matrox claimed that nVidia unfairly lured their top engineers to jump ship. I believe this one is still ongoing. How would you like it if your chief competitor was recruiting all of your top talent, especially while you were trying to get products out the door? There are very strong indications that Matrox has been in their current state as a direct result of these actions.

3. Kyro PDF: nVidia didn't like the fact that the Kyro was invading her space, so they send out a PDF to discredit that specific product.

4. 3DMark2003 PDF: nVidia didn't like the results it was getting, because it suddenly made them look "on-par" with ATI's 7 month old design...so, they put together a stupid PDF showing why it's no longer acceptable to use for evaluating a 3D card.

Those were the things that popped into my head, as far as nVidia's take on competition...I don't think they like it, and I also think it's terribly funny to see these PR losers try and come up with a new excuse.
Typedef Enum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-03, 09:02 AM   #86
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbinder
Wow, no kidding about that Non Ultra score. My 9700pro just KILLS it!!

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=270840

Which is not suprising considering that at 500mhz the GFFX barely beats the 9700pro in the first 4 game tests by 3-5 FPS here and there. -100mhz and its game over...
did you see the oc'd quadro FX score as well ? that was a lot better... higher than the non-ultra...

makes me wonder a bit about the non-ultra... why would it be that much slower... there has to be something else going on... no way in hell is a 100mhz oc going to net double performance... there HAS to be something else going on...

didn't check the driver sets... is the score with the OLD beta drivers or the NEW beta drivers ?
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-03, 10:54 AM   #87
Hellbinder

100mhz is Quite a lot.

On a true 8 pipeline card it subtracts 800Gpix fill rate.

On the GFFX it has an even bigger penalty because they are only writing 4 pixels per clock to the frame buffer. Not to mention their Vertex engine drops to about 275m pollies.
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Radeon 9600M Turbo 128 (400/250)
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]

Last edited by Hellbinder; 02-24-03 at 10:59 AM.
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-03, 10:58 AM   #88
Hellbinder

Quote:
Daniel Vogel has said that PS1.4 offers very little extra speed vs PS1.1 in UT2003. so it doesn't sound like the reason why the r9700 performs well is because of PS1.4 in this case.
Yeah, i know.. i was just pointing out that they do use PS 1.4 in that game. My understanding is that SS:SE ALSO uses the openGL equivalent of PS 1.4

sure it may not add any speed in the way it is used in UT. Specifically because they are tuned for PS 1.1, However they *could* push the terrain system a lot harder with PS 1.4 leaving the PS 1.1 cards in the dust. Just like 3dmark03.

They never will obviously.

I was just pointing out that Nvidias statements saying that Ps 1.4 is not being used is false. It is being used, and in the biggest games on the market. Which is really all that matters. Quality, not Quantity i say.
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Radeon 9600M Turbo 128 (400/250)
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-03, 11:55 AM   #89
sebazve

Quote:
Originally posted by swanlee

Looks like the bad carma from killing 3dfx has come back to haunt them.
true
its just bussines man!
Old 02-24-03, 11:57 AM   #90
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by sebazve
true
its just bussines man!
Yeah, but I bet it feels different now that they're on the receiving end.....
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-03, 12:09 PM   #91
sebazve

hehehehe oh men i miss 3dfx why did they have to go...
Old 02-24-03, 12:18 PM   #92
UDawg
Retired spammer

Trolls
UDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-03, 12:20 PM   #93
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by UDawg71
Trolls
I am not a troll....I am an OGRE!!!

(I saw it in someone sig on /. this morning, it seemed appropriate.)
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-03, 12:29 PM   #94
sonaboy
Why can't you spell?

Send a message via ICQ to sonaboy

Quote:
Originally posted by swanlee
All Nvidia execs should just walk around with targets on their foreheads. I have never seen a company whine and complain and try and cover up their lack of producing a good product before. They are really making themselves look completely silly and childish. My god it's like they can't deal with a little competition.
Oh yeah?? I have, and the company was called 3DFX.

Quote:
Looks like the bad carma from killing 3dfx has come back to haunt them.
3DFX killed themselves, boy-o. They released an overpriced, underpowered card that didn't appeal to the core market.
The 3DFX Voodoo 6 was a sham, and the voodoo 5 just wasn't enough. So has the irony been lost on everyone that the newest card from Nvidia was created in conjunction with some 3DFX engineers that blew it with the voodoo line?
THAT'S bad mojo if i ever saw it.
Old 02-24-03, 12:41 PM   #95
sebazve

Quote:
Originally posted by sonaboy
[b]Oh yeah?? I have, and the company was called 3DFX.

3DFX killed themselves, boy-o. They released an overpriced, underpowered card that didn't appeal to the core market.
The 3DFX Voodoo 6 was a sham, and the voodoo 5 just wasn't enough. So has the irony been lost on everyone that the newest card from Nvidia was created in conjunction with some 3DFX engineers that blew it with the voodoo line?
THAT'S bad mojo if i ever saw it.
the vsa100 chips were really good they just came up too late and they have to compete with the gf2 (which in terms of speed they were faster but in IQ that was a different story). Although those cards still have the best FSAA quality that i have ever seen only ATI has reach that now imo...
Also with the bought of gigapixel tech, the nvidia lawsuit, etc they just didnt have enough money...
the voodoo 5 still sold well there were many 3dfx fans that prefer the IQ rather than fps...
Old 02-24-03, 12:45 PM   #96
swanlee

"3DFX killed themselves, boy-o. They released an overpriced, underpowered card that didn't appeal to the core market.
THAT'S bad mojo if i ever saw it."

I see the irony and find it quite funny that the FX is nearly identical to the 6000. Large card, overpriced, no mass appeal, late to market and doesn't perfom as well as expected. Hell I had a 5500 until a couple of months ago great card to still has best looking AA around. Problem is for Nvidia these are now Nvidia employee's and Nvidia's marekting and PR departments are just making things much worse for them. They really need to shut up and just accept defeat this round and move on.
swanlee is offline   Reply With Quote