Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Choose One
NVIDIA's new products (NV31 and NV34) are not DX9 parts and their current line lacks the technology to do well 62 65.26%
3DMark03 is a poor benchmark 18 18.95%
Both, but more of option number 1 9 9.47%
Both, but more of option number 2 6 6.32%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-03, 02:18 PM   #97
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by swanlee
They really need to shut up and just accept defeat this round and move on.
SHHHHHH!!!!! They might hear you and spoil all me fun!
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-03, 02:37 PM   #98
swanlee

Yea it is quite fun and easy picking out Nvida's latest PR problems. Hell shooting fish in a barrel requires more effort. Does anything think anyone at Nvidia relazies how stupid they sound whinning like little babies?
swanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-03, 02:42 PM   #99
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by swanlee
Does anything think anyone at Nvidia relazies how stupid they sound whinning like little babies?
It's gonna probably sound hypocritical and odd coming from me, but yeah there are some people at nVidia who have a clue and can see this just like you and me can....funnier thing is it's people in their PR department.

There's some cool people at nVidia, and some really cool ones in the PR department...but they sure as hell ain't got any authority or input apparently!

I do like a lot of people at nVidia personally, by they really are killing themselves but pulling the hermit act and just pointing out bogus awards and such. It almost scary how quiet they've gotten! (Yeah, they stopped returning my e-mails again..imagine that....but I still love ya Carrie. )
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-03, 02:50 PM   #100
silence

i never had any of 3dfx cards,but from what i hear they had AA like no other card......me wonders,why to hell didn't nvidia put THAT in fx from all the tech they got when they took over 3dfx......is there hope for such AA in next nv products??what ya think?
silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-03, 03:09 PM   #101
swanlee

I had 3 3dfx cards and they were all great, greatest drivers of any video card maker. The drivers were always rock solid on the initial release and then later twaked a bit to give huge performance gains. and yes and the 5500 the AA was outstanding My AIw 9700 pro comes close but it's still not quite as good lookingg in the AA department.

I don't doubt Nvidia has a lot of good people working there, like with any company, just seems now the louder portion of nvidia is a babbling bunch of hypocritical morons that don't seem to grasp how stupid they sound.

Hello nvidia you practically put 3dmak on the map pushing it to the moon since it made older Nvidia cards look good. Now they are ticked off that 3dmark is impartial and uses a straight DX8/9 path instead of a propriatray Nvidia path.
swanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-03, 03:36 PM   #102
StealthHawk

merged Swanlee's thread with this one since it falls under the whole 3dmark03 topic.
Old 02-24-03, 04:17 PM   #103
Hellbinder

Quote:
I had 3 3dfx cards and they were all great, greatest drivers of any video card maker. The drivers were always rock solid on the initial release and then later twaked a bit to give huge performance gains. and yes and the 5500 the AA was outstanding My AIw 9700 pro comes close but it's still not quite as good lookingg in the AA department.
Heh... Talk about rose colored glasses. and remebmer the alamo...

*perhaps* you could make a case that the VSA 100 had better 2x or 4x FSAA... Which is really pushing it imo. Both ATi and 3dfx use Rotated Grid/Jittered sample patters. I think 3dfx's were a little different. But Ati's AA is also Gama Corrected. The line is drawn there however. Nothing ever produced touches ATi's 6x FSAA. Which is also about 6x faster than the voodoo5's 4x AA.

What also separates the Two is the VSA 100 had minimal Anisotropic support. which is basically Texture AA in a nutshell. when taken into accound that ATi's AA and AF are virtually never seperated... I just dont think that 3dfx stands a chance. Especially when you consider most 9700pro users have 4x FSAA+16xAF on by default in nearly every game they play.
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Radeon 9600M Turbo 128 (400/250)
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-03, 06:09 PM   #104
jbirney

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbinder
Heh... Talk about rose colored glasses. and remebmer the alamo...

*perhaps* you could make a case that the VSA 100 had better 2x or 4x FSAA... Which is really pushing it imo. Both ATi and 3dfx use Rotated Grid/Jittered sample patters. I think 3dfx's were a little different. But Ati's AA is also Gama Corrected. The line is drawn there however. Nothing ever produced touches ATi's 6x FSAA. Which is also about 6x faster than the voodoo5's 4x AA.

Well first of all 3DFX use SS method so for old games like HL and what not that make use of Alpha textures then the 3DFX method was "better". However that was a long time ago, isnt like 3 years in Graphic Card time aceint history
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-03, 06:39 PM   #105
Hellbinder

Quote:
Well first of all 3DFX use SS method so for old games like HL and what not that make use of Alpha textures then the 3DFX method was "better". However that was a long time ago, isnt like 3 years in Graphic Card time aceint history
yes this is True. 3dfx used RGSS and ATi uses RGMS.

You do have a very good point about alpha textures. However the edge AA on the 9700 is a lot better due to its Gamma Correction, and 6x sample pattern. Also, using 16xAF really minimizes the blurring affect that MSAA has. Although it does not entirely eradicate it.
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Radeon 9600M Turbo 128 (400/250)
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote