Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-09-06, 04:07 PM   #1
fozner

Red face Again with xen

I tried to get xen working again with the nvidia driver, this time with a new X, new kernel and latest drivers. My system works great without xen. I get better game performance than in windows. It's just that this is such a fast machine I would like to use it to compile some things for other os's in the background, using xen. Oh, I can cross-compile but it's usually a hassle.

When I try booting to the xen kernel in single user mode and compiling the unpatched driver, it just hard reboots the machine. I've never seen a situation where compiling can do a hard reboot but this does! I was so surprised that I did it 3 times just to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

Here's my system specs. I'm also using the fglrx repos, but the results were exacly the same with the normal repos:
Code:
sysinfo

# sysinfo by Henry Kroll III, www.thenerdshow.com

cat ~/bin/sysinfo &&cat /proc/cpuinfo|grep "model name"|cut -d : -f 2 &&glxinfo|grep OpenGL|tail -n 3|head -n 2|cut -d : -f 2 &&echo " `uname -ri`"&&echo

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 2800+
 GeForce 6800/AGP/SSE2
 2.0.2 NVIDIA 87.74
 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5 x86_64
Here is a log of what I've tried so far with the patches found here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=68703
Code:
cd downloads
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8774-pkg2.run --extract-only
find | grep nv.c
cd ./usr/src/nv/
patch -p1 < ../../patch-nv-1.0-8756-xen-3.0.2-2.txt
Patch goes ok with some fuzz...
Then I made this script based on the one made by nodens2099 and named it "tlb":
Code:
#/bin/sh
export XEN=2.6.17-1.2174_FC5xen0
for sym in xen_tlb_flush force_evtchn_callback xen_features; do
    export $sym=$(egrep " $sym\$" /boot/System.map-$XEN | colrm 17)
done
echo The script says --defsym xen_tlb_flush=0x$xen_tlb_flush --defsym force_evtchn_callback=0x$force_evtchn_callback --defsym xen_features=0x$xen_features

ld -m elf_x86_64 --defsym xen_tlb_flush=0x$xen_tlb_flush --defsym force_evtchn_callback=0x$force_evtchn_callback --defsym xen_features=0x$xen_features -r -o nvidia.ko nvidia.o nvidia.mod.o
Typed in some more commands:
Code:
make SYSSRC=/usr/src/kernels/2.6.17-1.2174_FC5-xen0-x86_64 module
./tlb

The script says --defsym xen_tlb_flush=0xffffffff802807a5 --defsym force_evtchn_callback=0xffffffff8038c905 --defsym xen_features=0xffffffff805e5280

cp nvidia.ko /lib/modules/2.6.17-1.2174_FC5xen0/kernel/drivers/video
depmod -a 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5xen0
Progress so far: I can get as far as the log-in screen. I see the nvidia logo flash, the screen goes dark, the logo flashes again and I can see the fedora desktop login prompt. It looks good and I'm thinking "yes!" Then the video locks up. I can ssh in and reboot at my leisure.

I tried adding some of the other symbols from cat /boot/System.map-2.6.17-1.2174_FC5xen0 and it seems to go a little bit further. Maybe I'll write a script to import them all.

Anyway, I just thought I'd try it again. I should probably just wait until I can afford a Conroe.

Last edited by fozner; 09-09-06 at 06:19 PM.
fozner is offline   Reply With Quote