Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-11-06, 10:27 AM   #1
fafek2

Exclamation I think X working, but monitor shuts down

I'm using Ubuntu Dapper with all latest updates. My graphics cars is a Creative GeForce TI 4200 and screen is a Samsung SyncMaster 940b.

After installing Nvidia driver as described in Ubuntu Docs Storage, executing "nvidia-xconf" and restarting X server (reboot as well as Ctrl+Alt+Backspace), screen is shutting down (goes to stand-by mode).

I am not an expert, but after reviewing X logs it seems there are no errors. I was trying everything - disabling "nvAGP", setting screen's horizontal and vertical refreshing (or smth like that), disabling UseEDID and so on. In nvidia-bug-report attached, there could be additional settings to Xorg conf. Without switches, it doesn't work too.

Thanks for help.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report_upload.log (83.7 KB, 115 views)
fafek2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 10:32 AM   #2
fafek2

Default Re: I think X working, but monitor shuts down

X IS working. I can login by typing my username and password. However, I can see nothing.
Old 09-11-06, 10:38 AM   #3
Izuil

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafek2
X IS working. I can login by typing my username and password. However, I can see nothing.
I have the same error! But for me it helps to do the ctrl+alt+del command though it's getting pretty annoying to do this every time i restart my computer...
Izuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 11:01 AM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Please start X with the following command:
startx -- -logverbose 5

and then generate and post a new bug report.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 01:57 PM   #5
fafek2

Smile Re: I think X working, but monitor shuts down

Thanks for quick answer.

Attachments contains compressed nvidia-bug-report file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (22.8 KB, 106 views)
Old 09-11-06, 03:32 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

According to the bug report, the CRT is being used by X. Are you trying to use the CRT or DFP?
Old 09-12-06, 02:37 AM   #7
Izuil

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
According to the bug report, the CRT is being used by X. Are you trying to use the CRT or DFP?
Since I also have this problem I guess that I've got the same error.
What is CRT and DFP, what do they do and how do i change it?
Old 09-12-06, 06:20 AM   #8
Cambo

Send a message via Yahoo to Cambo

CRT == Cathode Ray Tube. ie, Them there big heavy monitors with a big glass tube in them that operate like your grandparents' old TV.
DFP == Digital Flat Panel (iirc). Can refer to a plasma or LCD screen. This term usually implies that you are using a DVI connector, not a VGA Connector - VGA uses analogue signals, whereas DVI is digital.

The thing that springs to my mind about the OP's problem is that X is trying to use a display mode that the monitor is incapable of displaying. I have seen this happen with some older monitors - part of their electronics have degraded over time, and they are no longer capable of displaying the high frequencies that the EDID says that they can. This can involve a bit of tweaking of your xorg.conf/XF86Config file

Cambo
Cambo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-06, 07:46 AM   #9
Izuil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo
CRT == Cathode Ray Tube. ie, Them there big heavy monitors with a big glass tube in them that operate like your grandparents' old TV.
DFP == Digital Flat Panel (iirc). Can refer to a plasma or LCD screen. This term usually implies that you are using a DVI connector, not a VGA Connector - VGA uses analogue signals, whereas DVI is digital.

The thing that springs to my mind about the OP's problem is that X is trying to use a display mode that the monitor is incapable of displaying. I have seen this happen with some older monitors - part of their electronics have degraded over time, and they are no longer capable of displaying the high frequencies that the EDID says that they can. This can involve a bit of tweaking of your xorg.conf/XF86Config file

Cambo
Okay, thanks for the explanation!

Then I use DFP with a DVI connector, not sure if i remeber right but now when you mention it maybe this didn't happen with the VGA connector... hmm...

Anyway I would like to continue using my DVI connection so if there is a solution to this problem it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-12-06, 10:50 AM   #10
fafek2

Thumbs up Re: I think X working, but monitor shuts down

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I'm using DFP. Thanks for help. I've looked into NVidia manual and added "ConnectedMonitor" and "UseDisplayDevice".

Hm. But why my monitor was detected as CRT?
Old 09-12-06, 11:05 AM   #11
Izuil

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafek2
I'm using DFP. Thanks for help. I've looked into NVidia manual and added "ConnectedMonitor" and "UseDisplayDevice".

Hm. But why my monitor was detected as CRT?
I'll blame the fact that I'm new here, where is the nvidia manual?
Old 09-12-06, 11:54 AM   #12
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

As far as the driver is concerned, any analog display device is a CRT. Unless you're using a DVI digital cable, you're using a CRT from the driver's perspective. This is covered in the driver README.

The ConnectedMonitor option is not the solution to your problem. UseDisplayDevice might be the solution assuming that you're trying to use a DFP instead of CRT. See the driver README for more details.

Thanks,
Lonni